Poll: RFTools Dimension Builder Penalties

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you want to incure a constant RF cost in order to keep a created dimension accessible?

• Yes, but not too much

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Yes, and a lot more RF for very complicated dimensions

Votes: 69 65.7%
  • No, the RF cost at creation time is sufficient

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Other (clarify in response)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Some progress report. This time without screenshot (I know all of you are still speechless from my last void screenshot). Today I implemented energy support for dimensions created by RFTools. Dimensions now have an internal RF buffer (currently set to 10000000 RF) which can only be inserted from the dimension builder side. The dimension builder is the device that will input all energy in the dimension. As long as that is chunkloaded (and has power itself) the dimension will keep receiving power. Power transfer from the dimension builder to the dimension is immediate.

If the dimension builder is no longer chunkloaded then the dimension runs completely on the internal buffer. A cheap dimension will be able to last pretty long but an expensive dimension might only run for a minute or so.

If the internal buffer goes below 10% all players present in that dimension will get confusion. If the buffer goes below 5% then they will get confusion as well as harm. If the buffer goes below 3% then they will also get wither effect. And finally if the power is completely empty then the player receives 1000 hearts damage which will probably kill most players :)

I also implemented various dimlets. You can now change a few terrain types. Void, normal, and flat are implemented. I implemented limited biome support and you can also add structures like villages, strongholds, mineshafts and even nether fortress to your worlds. The other dimlets are not functional yet.

I need to do a few more things but I expect that tomorrow I can release a very first test version for the more adventurous among you to try out :)
Have you found any way to get rid of mod worldgen structures that always seemed to show up in Mystcraft ages for some reason, such as Buildcraft oil spouts?

Also, any plans to support mod biomes? I know Mystcraft does this automatically, which means that mods like BoP that add lots of biomes add lots and lots of biome pages, which make finding the actual pages you're looking for harder. I'd recommend that, if you add some way to obtain random dimlets, your random-dimlet-generating algorithm first choose the type of the dimlet (i.e. biome, terrain type, modifies, etc), then choose a random dimlet within that type. This way, BoP will only make vanilla biomes hard to find, but not Void or Sky Color.

Speaking of which, any chance that finding a particular biome or structure in the Overworld could make getting the dimlet for it easier? Maybe have some sort of portable dimlet encoder or something that will create a Forest Biome dimlet if you're standing in a forest, and/or put Mineshaft dimlets into mineshaft chests?

Sounds awesome, I will definitely give it a try.
Agreed.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Have you found any way to get rid of mod worldgen structures that always seemed to show up in Mystcraft ages for some reason, such as Buildcraft oil spouts?

Currently I have yet to use this new dimension builder in combination with many other mods (I only have TE, EnderIO, NEI, WAILA, and extra utilities in my dev environment) so no idea. I guess though that my mod will have the same problem as the generation of those features occurs in an event-based manner so it is actually up to the mod maker to make sure certain features spawn only in certain dimensions. If they don't do that then it is likely they will also show up in my dimensions. To be tested though.

Also, any plans to support mod biomes? I know Mystcraft does this automatically, which means that mods like BoP that add lots of biomes add lots and lots of biome pages, which make finding the actual pages you're looking for harder. I'd recommend that, if you add some way to obtain random dimlets, your random-dimlet-generating algorithm first choose the type of the dimlet (i.e. biome, terrain type, modifies, etc), then choose a random dimlet within that type. This way, BoP will only make vanilla biomes hard to find, but not Void or Sky Color.

I already support mod biomes. I automatically generates dimlets for all biomes that I find in the biome registry so that part should be fine. And indeed your idea about random generation of dimlets per type is a very good one which is why I already implemented that :) I was also very annoyed with Mystcraft. After creating more then 30 dimensions and exploring countless libraries in those dimensions I had a huge collection of 'block', 'liquid', and 'biome' pages but almost no controller type pages like void, flat terrain, normal weather and things like that. So I decided to randomize based on type first (already implemented) and then in type I will have relative rarity per dimlet (not implemented yet).

Speaking of which, any chance that finding a particular biome or structure in the Overworld could make getting the dimlet for it easier? Maybe have some sort of portable dimlet encoder or something that will create a Forest Biome dimlet if you're standing in a forest, and/or put Mineshaft dimlets into mineshaft chests?

Hmm interesting. Not sure if I'll be able to do such a thing but sure interesting idea. For later though. First the basics :)

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if its in or not but, if the "portal" needs chunkloaded do you have plans for a chunkloader?

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm not sure if its in or not but, if the "portal" needs chunkloaded do you have plans for a chunkloader?

----------------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Not right away. There are plenty of chunkloader options already out there and this would duplicate functionality a bit too much I think.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Currently I have yet to use this new dimension builder in combination with many other mods (I only have TE, EnderIO, NEI, WAILA, and extra utilities in my dev environment) so no idea. I guess though that my mod will have the same problem as the generation of those features occurs in an event-based manner so it is actually up to the mod maker to make sure certain features spawn only in certain dimensions. If they don't do that then it is likely they will also show up in my dimensions. To be tested though.

I already support mod biomes. I automatically generates dimlets for all biomes that I find in the biome registry so that part should be fine. And indeed your idea about random generation of dimlets per type is a very good one which is why I already implemented that :) I was also very annoyed with Mystcraft. After creating more then 30 dimensions and exploring countless libraries in those dimensions I had a huge collection of 'block', 'liquid', and 'biome' pages but almost no controller type pages like void, flat terrain, normal weather and things like that. So I decided to randomize based on type first (already implemented) and then in type I will have relative rarity per dimlet (not implemented yet).
I'll be sure to play around with it as soon as I can (although, with finals next week, I can't say when that'll be). I ought to stop throwing suggestions around until I know what's already in in the mod- I feel silly for suggesting so many things that you've already implemented. :p

One thing I will say, though, is that I might make almost-expired ages give poison (and confusion) to players rather than withering. The difference is that poison won't actually kill you until the age finally exhausts its RF buffer. But, if you would rather have the debuff act like a countdown timer, i.e. "I have to get out of here in ten seconds" vs "I ned to get out of here ASAP, before the dimension runs out of juice" I'm OK with it.

Hmm... Maybe, rather than poison or withering, you could add your own debuff that reduces the player's maximum health as a function of the amount of RF left in the dimension. This way, players would still get the countdown effect, with their health reaching zero at the moment the dimension runs out of RF.

Failing that, I'd like to see an item that lets players monitor the RF in the dimension without needing to use a teleporter to get out of the dimension to check the Dimension Builder block. Maybe have an item whose damage bar is linked to the RF in the dimensions's buffer?

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, here is the very first beta release of RFTools 2.00 with the initial test version of the dimension builder system:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pujjlkv2rgcdgpb/rftools-2.00beta1.jar

WARNING! Do not use this version on an established world unless you make a backup first. Also don't expect this version to be compatible with future releases. It is very possible that anything you do in this version will not work anymore in subsequent versions. Consider this release as a TEST release only. You have been warned!

Note that I didn't add any crafting recipes yet. So you have to spawn in everything in creative mode. I don't have clear documentation yet but I did make a simple wiki page explaining a few basic things:

https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki/RFTools-Dimension-Builder

WARNING! I did change a few default settings in various of my machines. So if you start from an existing RFTools world then it is recommended you delete the rftools configuration file/directory first.

The dimension builder is not finished yet. Here is a short summary of what is there and what is not there:

• Not all dimlet types are implemented:
    • For terrain: flat, void and normal are implemented. None of the others are.
    • Only one biome type is supported. Any more and the biome is ignored (I have a feeling there is also a bug here but no more time to test right now)
    • Villages, strongholds, fortresses, ... should work but keep in mind that for example villages can only spawn in certain biomes
  • The dimension monitor item works and shows you the amount of energy left in your current dimension.
  • The other blocks should also work more or less.
  • Ore gen in RFTools dimension for a specific 'star dust' like item is also not yet implemented. I have some nice plans with that.
  • BTW, in the future there will be more blocks and items. I have several additional plans with this.

Use the teleporter probe creative item to help get around in case of trouble. There are also a number of console commands (see the wiki above).

You will need to use the teleportation system from RFTools to use this effectively. That's why there is also a matter receiver automatically put on the spawn platform in the created dimensions.

Note! You will notice that for dimensions that are quick to create it will show a very high RF/tick at creation time. The reason for that is that in the limited time (i.e. 100 ticks for example) that it has to create the dimension it also has to give power to the matter receiver in that dimension. So if the dimension is created faster it will need more RF/tick because otherwise it cannot fill that receiver at the same time.

The dialing device from the teleportation system recognizes rftools dimensions. An important thing to realize is that after the dimension is created but before you go there the matter receiver doesn't exist yet as world gen hasn't been done yet. So the dialing device has a special case for that. You can dial into a dimension and as soon as you enter it and get to the dimension for real then the matter receiver will be created and the dial stays there.

Note! To get back out of the dimension if you were to do it the legit way you need to take a dialed matter transmitter with you! i.e. you place down a matter transmitter in the overworld. Give it full power. Dial it to a receiver in the overworld (where you want to get back) and then pick it up by shift-clicking a wrench. The matter transmitter will keep the energy and destination and you can take it with you to the other dimension where you can place it down to go back. After placing this transmitter down it will still be dialed but due to a bug you will not see the green dial beam. It still works however. Warning! This transmitter has only enough energy in it for *one* trip back to the overworld! If you plan to go back to the dimension and return again you should bring some energy with you.

There is much more to say (this is a complex system) but I ran out of time. Let me know if you have any questions.

And remember! This is beta! Use at your own risk!

Last edited:

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Ok, here is the very first beta release of RFTools 2.00 with the initial test version of the dimension builder system:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pujjlkv2rgcdgpb/rftools-2.00beta1.jar

WARNING! Do not use this version on an established world unless you make a backup first. Also don't expect this version to be compatible with future releases. It is very possible that anything you do in this version will not work anymore in subsequent versions. Consider this release as a TEST release only. You have been warned!

Note that I didn't add any crafting recipes yet. So you have to spawn in everything in creative mode. I don't have clear documentation yet but I did make a simple wiki page explaining a few basic things:

WARNING! I did change a few default settings in various of my machines. So if you start from an existing RFTools world then it is recommended you delete the rftools configuration file/directory first.

The dimension builder is not finished yet. Here is a short summary of what is there and what is not there:

• Not all dimlet types are implemented:
    • For terrain: flat, void and normal are implemented. None of the others are.
    • Only one biome type is supported. Any more and the biome is ignored (I have a feeling there is also a bug here but no more time to test right now)
    • Villages, strongholds, fortresses, ... should work but keep in mind that for example villages can only spawn in certain biomes
  • The dimension monitor item works and shows you the amount of energy left in your current dimension.
  • The other blocks should also work more or less.
  • BTW, in the future there will be more blocks and items. I have several additional plans with this.

Use the teleporter probe creative item to help get around in case of trouble. There are also a number of console commands (see the wiki above).

You will need to use the teleportation system from RFTools to use this effectively. That's why there is also a matter receiver automatically put on the spawn platform in the created dimensions.

Note! You will notice that for dimensions that are quick to create it will show a very high RF/tick at creation time. The reason for that is that in the limited time (i.e. 100 ticks for example) that it has to create the dimension it also has to give power to the matter receiver in that dimension. So if the dimension is created faster it will need more RF/tick because otherwise it cannot fill that receiver at the same time.

The dialing device from the teleportation system recognizes rftools dimensions. An important thing to realize is that after the dimension is created but before you go there the matter receiver doesn't exist yet as world gen hasn't been done yet. So the dialing device has a special case for that. You can dial into a dimension and as soon as you enter it and get to the dimension for real then the matter receiver will be created and the dial stays there.

Note! To get back out of the dimension if you were to do it the legit way you need to take a dialed matter transmitter with you! i.e. you place down a matter transmitter in the overworld. Give it full power. Dial it to a receiver in the overworld (where you want to get back) and then pick it up by shift-clicking a wrench. The matter transmitter will keep the energy and destination and you can take it with you to the other dimension where you can place it down to go back. After placing this transmitter down it will still be dialed but due to a bug you will not see the green dial beam. It still works however. Warning! This transmitter has only enough energy in it for *one* trip back to the overworld! If you plan to go back to the dimension and return again you should bring some energy with you.

There is much more to say (this is a complex system) but I ran out of time. Let me know if you have any questions.

And remember! This is beta! Use at your own risk!
Yay!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, I have a bit more time now and want to explain a few other things and also a few questions:

• How are the features of a world chosen based on the dimlets you put in? It works as follows:
    • If you put in nothing for a certain feature then RFTools will pick a random feature (i.e. random set of biomes, random terrain type and so on.
    • As soon as you put in a dimlet for a certain feature it becomes 100% deterministic. RFTools will not pick random other features. For example, if you select 'village' then you will not get fortresses. However, if you didn't put in any structure dimlet then you might get village and fortress. Both or one.
    • For many types of dimlets there will be a 'None' type feature. For example, if you don't want any kind of structure (no village, fortress or anything) then you can specify the None structure. Remember that specifying no structure will cause a random one so the None dimlets serve as a way to disable something.
    • Most of the None dimlets will be craftable. That way it will be possible to deterministically make a world.
    • If you put in multiple conflicting dimlets (for example, flat and void at the same time) then RFTools will pick a random one (but only out of the selection that you specified). This is mostly not a good idea (see below why).
  • Currently the cost (creation RF, maintain RF and tick cost) is based on the dimlets you put in the dimension tab at the time you enscribe it. That has some important consequences. If you have a dimension where you specified villages and fortresses with the two dimlets for those structures then it will be rather expensive. However, if you get the same dimension through the randomizer (i.e. you didn't specify any structure) then exactly the same dimension will be very cheap as the cost calculation did not include the two features you got randomly. I'm not sure yet if this is good or not. I could also do it differently and base the cost on the actual features that you get at the time the world starts building. However, that would allow the player to put the dimension tab in the builder, check the cost at that time and pull it out quickly if it is not what he/she wants. But maybe that's not a bad thing? Opinions welcome.
  • Another question. There is currently no way to manually 'shut down' a dimension. What this means that, even if you pull out the realized dimension tab from the dimension builder, you cannot prevent the dimension from keeping on running and consuming power from its internal buffer until it runs out. Even if there are no players there. Is that good or not? I could stop power consumption if noone is in the dimension. On the other hand there could be other stuff running on that dimension (chunk loaders and such) so maybe it does make sense to keep it running.
  • About the ore gen. I plan specific ore gen in RFTools dimensions. I'm thinking about a kind of 'star dust' or similar. Something that acts like redstone or lapis lazuli (and is thus affected by fortune). Then I will make a 'Machine Infuser' with which you will be able to improve all/most RFTools machines. Basically you will be able to improve RFTools machines in steps. The more 'star dust' you infuse in it, the better the machine becomes. Improvements include: faster operations (i.e. faster dimension building, faster teleportation, ...) and more efficient energy usage.
That's it for now. I'm pretty sure I forgot to tell some things but it will come to me later :)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Ok, I have a bit more time now and want to explain a few other things and also a few questions:

• How are the features of a world chosen based on the dimlets you put in? It works as follows:
    • If you put in nothing for a certain feature then RFTools will pick a random feature (i.e. random set of biomes, random terrain type and so on.
    • As soon as you put in a dimlet for a certain feature it becomes 100% deterministic. RFTools will not pick random other features. For example, if you select 'village' then you will not get fortresses. However, if you didn't put in any structure dimlet then you might get village and fortress. Both or one.
    • For many types of dimlets there will be a 'None' type feature. For example, if you don't want any kind of structure (no village, fortress or anything) then you can specify the None structure. Remember that specifying no structure will cause a random one so the None dimlets serve as a way to disable something.
    • Most of the None dimlets will be craftable. That way it will be possible to deterministically make a world.
    • If you put in multiple conflicting dimlets (for example, flat and void at the same time) then RFTools will pick a random one (but only out of the selection that you specified). This is mostly not a good idea (see below why).
  • Currently the cost (creation RF, maintain RF and tick cost) is based on the dimlets you put in the dimension tab at the time you enscribe it. That has some important consequences. If you have a dimension where you specified villages and fortresses with the two dimlets for those structures then it will be rather expensive. However, if you get the same dimension through the randomizer (i.e. you didn't specify any structure) then exactly the same dimension will be very cheap as the cost calculation did not include the two features you got randomly. I'm not sure yet if this is good or not. I could also do it differently and base the cost on the actual features that you get at the time the world starts building. However, that would allow the player to put the dimension tab in the builder, check the cost at that time and pull it out quickly if it is not what he/she wants. But maybe that's not a bad thing? Opinions welcome.
  • Another question. There is currently no way to manually 'shut down' a dimension. What this means that, even if you pull out the realized dimension tab from the dimension builder, you cannot prevent the dimension from keeping on running and consuming power from its internal buffer until it runs out. Even if there are no players there. Is that good or not? I could stop power consumption if noone is in the dimension. On the other hand there could be other stuff running on that dimension (chunk loaders and such) so maybe it does make sense to keep it running.
  • About the ore gen. I plan specific ore gen in RFTools dimensions. I'm thinking about a kind of 'star dust' or similar. Something that acts like redstone or lapis lazuli (and is thus affected by fortune). Then I will make a 'Machine Infuser' with which you will be able to improve all/most RFTools machines. Basically you will be able to improve RFTools machines in steps. The more 'star dust' you infuse in it, the better the machine becomes. Improvements include: faster operations (i.e. faster dimension building, faster teleportation, ...) and more efficient energy usage.
That's it for now. I'm pretty sure I forgot to tell some things but it will come to me later :)
I like associating the cost of the dimension with the dimlets you put in, not the features you get out. However, I'm not sure that random features should be free- maybe just 10-20% of the cost of the associated dimlet?

I don't think that removing the dimension tab should shut down a dimension instantly, because I like being able to move the tab from one Dimension Builder to another. Maybe make an upgraded Builder that includes an off switch that kicks players out and force-unloads chunks, if possible?

Also, first bug report: The very first time I clicked on a Dialing Device in a brand-new creative world, with only your mod, TE, Redstone Arsenal, NEI, and their dependancies, before I had placed down any other RFTools blocks (or any blocks for that matter), my game crashed saying something about Class Not Found: Buildcraft Wrench Something-or-other. I restarted Minecraft, placed down a Matter Transmitter and Reciever, and now everything seems to be working fine.

I got another, similar crash whenever I clicked on a Dimension Builder with some other machine. The crashed stopped when I installed Buildcraft.
To Reproduce: Install RFTools in an instance that does not contain Buildcraft, place down a Dimension Builder, and right-click on it.

And now my testworld is broken. I made a dimension tab with just "Terrain Normal" and "Biome Sky". Yes, I know that's the End biome; I wanted to see if it would spawn a dragon. I let the dimension builder get up to 100%, then its power meter dropped to zero. Before it filled back up (I was impatient), I dialed a Matter Transmitter to the new dimension, hit the Check button (I had a destination analyzer next to it), it said "Invalid Destination", I said "Ah, whatever, what's the worst that could happen?", so I dialed it anyway, and the transmitter had a yellowish beam (maybe just because the dimension doesn't exist yet?), stepped in, got teleported to an empty dimension where the game froze and crashed.

Whenever I try to open that save, it crashed with the following report:
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Hey, that tickles! Hehehe!

Time: 12/4/14 5:11 PM
Description: Exception ticking world

java.lang.NullPointerException: Exception ticking world
at net.minecraft.world.gen.structure.MapGenStructure.func_143027_a(MapGenStructure.java:242)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.structure.MapGenStructure.func_75048_a(MapGenStructure.java:104)
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.func_73155_a(GenericChunkProvider.java:490)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73155_a(ChunkProviderServer.java:379)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_73057_a(WorldServer.java:201)
at net.minecraft.world.SpawnerAnimals.func_77192_a(SpawnerAnimals.java:147)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72835_b(WorldServer.java:161)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:625)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:547)
at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.func_71217_p(IntegratedServer.java:111)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:427)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:685)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.world.gen.structure.MapGenStructure.func_143027_a(MapGenStructure.java:242)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.structure.MapGenStructure.func_75048_a(MapGenStructure.java:104)
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.func_73155_a(GenericChunkProvider.java:490)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73155_a(ChunkProviderServer.java:379)

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: RFTest 1
All players: 1 total; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/353, l='RFTest 1', x=0.00, y=71.00, z=0.00]]
Chunk stats: ServerChunkCache: 625 Drop: 0
Level seed: 8127039243682459217
Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: false
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (0,0,0), Chunk: (at 0,0,0 in 0,0; contains blocks 0,0,0 to 15,255,15), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Level time: 0 game time, 0 day time
Level dimension: 0
Level storage version: 0x00000 - Unknown?
Level weather: Rain time: 0 (now: false), thunder time: 0 (now: false)
Level game mode: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.func_71217_p(IntegratedServer.java:111)

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.7.10
Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.10.1
Java Version: 1.7.0_67, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 490887344 bytes (468 MB) / 937426944 bytes (894 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx2048m
AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 15, tallocated: 95
FML: MCP v9.05 FML v7.10.85.1240 Minecraft Forge 10.13.2.1240 17 mods loaded, 17 mods active
mcp{9.05} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
FML{7.10.85.1240} [Forge Mod Loader] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Forge{10.13.2.1240} [Minecraft Forge] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
CodeChickenCore{1.0.2.9} [CodeChicken Core] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
<CoFH ASM>{000} [CoFH ASM Data Initialization] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
NotEnoughItems{1.0.2.15} [Not Enough Items] (NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.2.15-universal-2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
CoFHCore{1.7.10R3.0.0B8} [CoFH Core] (CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.0B8-36.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Core{6.2.2} [BuildCraft] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Transport{6.2.2} [BC Transport] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Silicon{6.2.2} [BC Silicon] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Builders{6.2.2} [BC Builders] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Energy{6.2.2} [BC Energy] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Factory{6.2.2} [BC Factory] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalFoundation{1.7.10R1.0.0B3} [Thermal Foundation] (ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.0.0B3-8.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalExpansion{1.7.10R4.0.0B6} [Thermal Expansion] (ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.0.0B6-16.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
RedstoneArsenal{1.7.10R1.1.0RC1} [Redstone Arsenal] (RedstoneArsenal-[1.7.10]1.1.0RC1-19.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
rftools{2.00beta1} [RFTools] (rftools-2.00beta1.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Vec3 Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
Player Count: 1 / 8; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/353, l='RFTest 1', x=0.00, y=71.00, z=0.00]]
Type: Integrated Server (map_client.txt)
Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'fml,forge'

Ok, I found that while you can store no dimlets in a dimension tab, extrancing the resulting item (named "Unnamed", but with the proper texture) kicks you out of the server. When I did this in singleplayer, Minecraft then opened the Multiplayer screen. Extracting a tab with actual dimlets in it works fine.

I then successfully created a Void world and got there intact, so I'm guessing the previous crash was due to the Sky biome.
However...
kFbUT

Then, a couple minutes later, shortly after I jumped off that little stone and dirt platform onto the bedrock floor, the game crashed AGAIN.
// Daisy, daisy...

Time: 12/4/14 5:54 PM
Description: Exception ticking world

java.lang.NullPointerException: Exception ticking world

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: RFTest 2
All players: 1 total; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/43495, l='RFTest 2', x=-0.22, y=4.00, z=8.70]]
Chunk stats: ServerChunkCache: 652 Drop: 0
Level seed: 2723618673375740770
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (0,0,0), Chunk: (at 0,0,0 in 0,0; contains blocks 0,0,0 to 15,255,15), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Stacktrace:

-- System Details --
Details:
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 211047184 bytes (201 MB) / 554696704 bytes (529 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 12, tallocated: 96
FML: MCP v9.05 FML v7.10.85.1240 Minecraft Forge 10.13.2.1240 17 mods loaded, 17 mods active
mcp{9.05} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
FML{7.10.85.1240} [Forge Mod Loader] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
Forge{10.13.2.1240} [Minecraft Forge] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
CodeChickenCore{1.0.2.9} [CodeChicken Core] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
<CoFH ASM>{000} [CoFH ASM Data Initialization] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
NotEnoughItems{1.0.2.15} [Not Enough Items] (NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.2.15-universal-2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
CoFHCore{1.7.10R3.0.0B8} [CoFH Core] (CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.0B8-36.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Core{6.2.2} [BuildCraft] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Transport{6.2.2} [BC Transport] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Silicon{6.2.2} [BC Silicon] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Builders{6.2.2} [BC Builders] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Energy{6.2.2} [BC Energy] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
BuildCraft|Factory{6.2.2} [BC Factory] (buildcraft-6.2.2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalFoundation{1.7.10R1.0.0B3} [Thermal Foundation] (ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.0.0B3-8.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalExpansion{1.7.10R4.0.0B6} [Thermal Expansion] (ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.0.0B6-16.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
RedstoneArsenal{1.7.10R1.1.0RC1} [Redstone Arsenal] (RedstoneArsenal-[1.7.10]1.1.0RC1-19.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
rftools{2.00beta1} [RFTools] (rftools-2.00beta1.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available->Available
Player Count: 1 / 8; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/43495, l='RFTest 2', x=-0.22, y=4.00, z=8.70]]

When I log back in, I'm still standing on the bedrock, and I crash again a split second later. I'm guessing the dimension ran out of power,because the Builder in the overworld wasn't chunkloaded. Hmm... maybe that's also why the previous dimension crashed. I did let the power meter in the Builder fill up this time, so maybe it was just able to let me hang out in the dimension before running out of power, and whatever code is responsible for kicking players out of dimensions is bugged and crashes.

I did not notice any debuffs, though.

Aaand I just killed my third testworld the same way- made a void dimension, went in, flew away from the platform to see how far the bedrock floor went, and boom- crash. This time, though, I brought the dimension monitor item with me, and it was consistently staying fully charged. Apparently, the chunk in the Overworld was still loaded.

A Normal dimension with a forest biome works just fine, though.

I still haven't tested the kicking mechanic, because at 11RF/t, draining the whole buffer would take a long, long time.

Also, the matter receivers always seem to put me on the corner of the block. If you add 0.5 to the player's coordinates, they should end up right in the center.
In addition, the "Check" button in the dialer says "Invalid Destination" when going to an RFTools dimension, even if ignoring this warning and stepping through the transmitter works fine, without any debuffs.

Finally, another suggestion: Change the matter receiver that's generated in the dimension spawn point to be some kind of "natural" receiver that does not require energy to run (or is powered by the dimension itself or the Builder powering it), but cannot be harvested successfully. This way, players can't generate cheap dimensions, enter them, collect the free receiver, put in an enderchest (or better yet, an enderpouch, then put the pouch inside itself), and wait for the dimension to run out of energy and kill them, taking them back to the Overworld, but leaving their curiously empty inventory behind.

Edit: Imgur, why you no work?

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Very cool on the early beta release. When I get back home in a little over a week I'll make a copy of my Direwolf20 server and add this mod w/ RFTools to it. Then I'll open it to a few of my pack busting players to see what crashes.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Also, first bug report: The very first time I clicked on a Dialing Device in a brand-new creative world, with only your mod, TE, Redstone Arsenal, NEI, and their dependancies, before I had placed down any other RFTools blocks (or any blocks for that matter), my game crashed saying something about Class Not Found: Buildcraft Wrench Something-or-other. I restarted Minecraft, placed down a Matter Transmitter and Reciever, and now everything seems to be working fine.

I got another, similar crash whenever I clicked on a Dimension Builder with some other machine. The crashed stopped when I installed Buildcraft.
To Reproduce: Install RFTools in an instance that does not contain Buildcraft, place down a Dimension Builder, and right-click on it.

This is weird because I don't have Buildcraft either in my dev environment and I don't have these problems. Could you give me the exact crash log for this?

And now my testworld is broken. I made a dimension tab with just "Terrain Normal" and "Biome Sky". Yes, I know that's the End biome; I wanted to see if it would spawn a dragon. I let the dimension builder get up to 100%, then its power meter dropped to zero. Before it filled back up (I was impatient), I dialed a Matter Transmitter to the new dimension, hit the Check button (I had a destination analyzer next to it), it said "Invalid Destination", I said "Ah, whatever, what's the worst that could happen?", so I dialed it anyway, and the transmitter had a yellowish beam (maybe just because the dimension doesn't exist yet?), stepped in, got teleported to an empty dimension where the game froze and crashed.

Thanks for this report. I will try it myself and see what's happening exactly.

Ok, I found that while you can store no dimlets in a dimension tab, extrancing the resulting item (named "Unnamed", but with the proper texture) kicks you out of the server. When I did this in singleplayer, Minecraft then opened the Multiplayer screen. Extracting a tab with actual dimlets in it works fine.

Ok, will fix that.

I then successfully created a Void world and got there intact, so I'm guessing the previous crash was due to the Sky biome.
However...
kFbUT

What's in the above image?

Then, a couple minutes later, shortly after I jumped off that little stone and dirt platform onto the bedrock floor, the game crashed AGAIN.

Hmm, that's exactly the same crash as you got before. Perhaps something else is wrong. I will investigate.

Finally, another suggestion: Change the matter receiver that's generated in the dimension spawn point to be some kind of "natural" receiver that does not require energy to run (or is powered by the dimension itself or the Builder powering it), but cannot be harvested successfully. This way, players can't generate cheap dimensions, enter them, collect the free receiver, put in an enderchest (or better yet, an enderpouch, then put the pouch inside itself), and wait for the dimension to run out of energy and kill them, taking them back to the Overworld, but leaving their curiously empty inventory behind.

That's a good suggestion.

Thanks a lot for the detailed testing. I will check into these bugs soon.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to make unpowered worlds seem to decay without actually messing the world up, you might be able to get the effect by sending block change packets to clients telling them that blocks have turned into solid "errored blocks" (selecting only solid blocks, so that the client-side and server-side collision boxes don't get out of sync), and re-sending the entire world if its power is restored.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Ok, I fixed the problem with the 'check' button in the dialing device telling you that it is an invalid destination. I also managed to reproduce the crash problem you mention above and it has nothing to do with the sky biome. The reason I didn't encounter it is because I was testing in peaceful and apparently the crash only occurs in normal or above because it has to do with spawning hostile creatures. I'm investigating but now that I can reproduce this it should be easy to fix.

I'm still wondering about the buildcraft problem though and would appreciate a more detailed crash log on that problem.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
This is weird because I don't have Buildcraft either in my dev environment and I don't have these problems. Could you give me the exact crash log for this?
Sure.
// Why did you do that?

Time: 12/4/14 4:32 PM
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: buildcraft/api/tools/IToolWrench
at com.mcjty.container.GenericBlock.testWrenchUsage(GenericBlock.java:73)
at com.mcjty.container.GenericBlock.onBlockActivatedDefaultWrench(GenericBlock.java:127)
at com.mcjty.container.GenericBlock.func_149727_a(GenericBlock.java:92)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.func_78760_a(PlayerControllerMP.java:326)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_147121_ag(Minecraft.java:1436)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1942)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:962)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launchWithMainClass(OneSixLauncher.java:286)
at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launch(OneSixLauncher.java:376)
at org.multimc.EntryPoint.listen(EntryPoint.java:165)
at org.multimc.EntryPoint.main(EntryPoint.java:54)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: buildcraft.api.tools.IToolWrench
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:101)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
... 23 more

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at com.mcjty.container.GenericBlock.onBlockActivatedDefaultWrench(GenericBlock.java:127)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.func_78760_a(PlayerControllerMP.java:326)

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: MpServer
All players: 1 total; [EntityClientPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/365, l='MpServer', x=-25.68, y=77.62, z=234.82]]
Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 589, 589
Level seed: 0
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (64,64,256), Chunk: (at 0,4,0 in 4,16; contains blocks 64,0,256 to 79,255,271), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Level time: 2317 game time, 2317 day time
Level game mode: Game mode: creative (ID 1). Hardcore: false. Cheats: false
Forced entities: 124 total; [EntityZombie['Zombie'/ <snip, because word count> EntityCreeper['Creeper'/1690, l='MpServer', x=54.34, y=24.00, z=196.44]]
Retry entities: 0 total; []
Server brand: fml,forge
Server type: Integrated singleplayer server
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.WorldClient.func_72914_a(WorldClient.java:373)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71396_d(Minecraft.java:2433)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:916)
at org.multimc.onesix.OneSixLauncher.launchWithMainClass(OneSixLauncher.java:286)

-- System Details --
Details:
Memory: 307021920 bytes (292 MB) / 797442048 bytes (760 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 12, tallocated: 94
FML: MCP v9.05 FML v7.10.85.1240 Minecraft Forge 10.13.2.1240 11 mods loaded, 11 mods active
mcp{9.05} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
FML{7.10.85.1240} [Forge Mod Loader] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Forge{10.13.2.1240} [Minecraft Forge] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1240-universal.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
CodeChickenCore{1.0.2.9} [CodeChicken Core] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
<CoFH ASM>{000} [CoFH ASM Data Initialization] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
NotEnoughItems{1.0.2.15} [Not Enough Items] (NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.2.15-universal-2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
CoFHCore{1.7.10R3.0.0B8} [CoFH Core] (CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.0B8-36.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalFoundation{1.7.10R1.0.0B3} [Thermal Foundation] (ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.0.0B3-8.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
ThermalExpansion{1.7.10R4.0.0B6} [Thermal Expansion] (ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.0.0B6-16.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
RedstoneArsenal{1.7.10R1.1.0RC1} [Redstone Arsenal] (RedstoneArsenal-[1.7.10]1.1.0RC1-19.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
rftools{2.00beta1} [RFTools] (rftools-2.00beta1.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Launched Version: 1.7.10
LWJGL: 2.9.1
OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M OpenGL Engine GL version 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.43 310.41.05f01, NVIDIA Corporation
GL Caps: Using GL 1.3 multitexturing.
Using framebuffer objects because ARB_framebuffer_object is supported and separate blending is supported.
Anisotropic filtering is supported and maximum anisotropy is 16.
Shaders are available because OpenGL 2.1 is supported.

Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Resource Packs: []
Current Language: English (US)
Anisotropic Filtering: Off (1)
// You're mean.

Time: 12/4/14 4:53 PM

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:101)
... 23 more

-- Head --
Stacktrace:

-- Affected level --
Details:
All players: 1 total; [EntityClientPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/373, l='MpServer', x=-25.50, y=77.62, z=232.06]]
Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 588, 588
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (64,64,256), Chunk: (at 0,4,0 in 4,16; contains blocks 64,0,256 to 79,255,271), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Level time: 10554 game time, 10554 day time
Forced entities: 102 total; [EntityBat['Bat'/8533, l='MpServer', x=14.39 <snip, because word count> z=179.50], EntityCreeper['Creeper'/10559, l='MpServer', x=44.50, y=29.00, z=285.50], EntityPig['Pig'/242, l='MpServer', x=51.09, y=67.00, z=249.81]]
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.WorldClient.func_72914_a(WorldClient.java:373)

-- System Details --
Details:
Memory: 150545064 bytes (143 MB) / 591396864 bytes (564 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
FML: MCP v9.05 FML v7.10.85.1240 Minecraft Forge 10.13.2.1240 11 mods loaded, 11 mods active
OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M OpenGL Engine GL version 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.43 310.41.05f01, NVIDIA Corporation
Using framebuffer objects because ARB_framebuffer_object is supported and separate blending is supported.

What's in the above image?
The corner of a stone and dirt platform, with jagged bedrock far below. It looks a lot like what Overworld bedrock would look like if not for all the stone above it:
2014-12-04_17.49.21.png

And now the image suddenly seems to be working. I tried uploading it to the forum this time, rather than MultiMC's handy upload-screenshot-straight-to-Imgur feature, which created the broken screenshot in my last post.

I do have CoFH Core installed with default configs, so maybe its bedrock-tweaking code got through your world-clearing code?
I'm still wondering about the buildcraft problem though and would appreciate a more detailed crash log on that problem.
I was testing on Normal difficulty, so that might explain it.
Hmm... if the crash is caused by Minecraft trying to spawn hostile mobs and failing catastrophically, that could explain why the crashed happened a few minutes after I entered the dimension, rather than immediately. If, after logging back into the world, MC tries to run the same spawn routine, that would explain why it continued to crash instantly.

However, that doesn't explain why when I created a dimension with Normal terrain and a Forest biome, with many more dark places for mobs to spawn than the "void" dimension, it didn't crash.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I do have CoFH Core installed with default configs, so maybe its bedrock-tweaking code got through your world-clearing code?

I was testing on Normal difficulty, so that might explain it.
Hmm... if the crash is caused by Minecraft trying to spawn hostile mobs and failing catastrophically, that could explain why the crashed happened a few minutes after I entered the dimension, rather than immediately. If, after logging back into the world, MC tries to run the same spawn routine, that would explain why it continued to crash instantly.

However, that doesn't explain why when I created a dimension with Normal terrain and a Forest biome, with many more dark places for mobs to spawn than the "void" dimension, it didn't crash.

Actually it can. Because the bug only occurs in case you did NOT get nether fortress feature in your dimension. And maybe you got that feature in that normal/forest biome. i.e. if you fly around and find nether fortresses somewhere then that explains why it did not crash.

I also fixed the other crashes reported by you btw. The only thing left is that buildcraft thing which I currently have no clue about. But I'm checking your logs now

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, seems that for some reason the buildcraft api was not included with my released mod as it should be. Not sure why that is but I'll look into it.

Ok. I found what I did wrong and how to solve it. Next release will no longer have a hard dependency on buildcraft. Weird that nobody else mentioned this before because this has been a problem with my mod for some time already. Apparently everybody was using buildcraft or had the buildcraft api from another mod.

Last edited:

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
You should make a blank void age cost nothing but make each dimlet have a power cost tied to it so the more you add the more it costs to keep up, (or create) more advanced dimlets would cost more energy than more basic dimlets and you could add power multipliers for using multiple advanced dimlets together. So say a basic dimlet costs 10k power total to make and an advanced dimlet costs 100k total power to make and for each additional dimlet from the same tier cost 50% more per than the previous' cost, if you make a dimension with 1 advanced and 1 basic it would be 110k power, but if you make a dimension with 2 advanced and 1 basic it would be 260k power, if you make a dimension with 2 basic and 1 advanced it would be 125k power. For a power per tick cost you could use the same system but make basics cost 10 per tick with advanced be 100 per tick and have a config to use either system.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Ok, here is a new update of the beta version of RFTools (2.00beta2). I managed to fix all crashes that were reported here and also implemented a few new things. Here is the changelog:

Changelog between 2.00beta1 and 2.00beta2:
  • The dialing device 'check' button works also for dimensions that haven't been realized yet (i.e. nobody has been there yet).
  • Fixed a crash in the RFTools dimensions related to nether fortresses and hostile mob spawns. This would cause crashes as soon as a hostile mob spawned in a dimension that did not have a nether fortress in it.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to extract an empty realized item tab.
  • Fixed a hardcoded buildcraft depencency that would cause crashes when using a wrench on a RFTools machine.
  • Shift-right click on a realized dimension tab will show the internal description string that shows an internal representation of the dimlets that were used. It will also display the actual features that were selected for this dimension.
  • This same description string is also shown when shift-right clicking the dimension monitor.
  • Reduced the chance of specific structures and terrain features being selected when they were not specified in the dimlets.
  • Added dimensional shard ore and dimensional shards. Also added this block as oregen to RFTools dimensions. Currently the dimensional shards are not useful.
  • Fixed a bug when saving a world and then loading again without quitting Minecraft. This would crash minecraft.
  • Added crafting recipes for various things so that everything in the dimension builder system should now be possible to use in survival mode.
The download is here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qclzbttcw3d53t/rftools-2.00beta2.jar

The wiki page has also been updated a bit:

Needless to say this is still BETA!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Hmm... I updated your mod, removed Buildcraft (clicking a Dimension Builder didn't crash, so that fix worked), then started exploring the forest dimension to see if I could find your conjectural nether fortress. It was night, and clicking the button in NEI didn't change the time in the dimension (annoying, but no surprise), and I did see some spiders running around.
// My bad.

Time: 12/5/14 2:34 PM
Description: Exception generating new chunk

java.lang.NullPointerException: Exception generating new chunk
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.generateTerrain(GenericChunkProvider.java:152)
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.func_73154_d(GenericChunkProvider.java:192)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.originalLoadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:172)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:131)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73158_c(ChunkProviderServer.java:101)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73154_d(ChunkProviderServer.java:199)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72964_e(World.java:419)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_147456_g(WorldServer.java:313)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72835_b(WorldServer.java:183)

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.generateTerrain(GenericChunkProvider.java:152)
at com.mcjty.rftools.dimension.world.GenericChunkProvider.func_73154_d(GenericChunkProvider.java:192)

-- Chunk to be generated --
Details:
Position hash: -77309411317
Generator: RandomLevelSource
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.originalLoadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:172)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:131)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73158_c(ChunkProviderServer.java:101)
at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.func_73154_d(ChunkProviderServer.java:199)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72964_e(World.java:419)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_147456_g(WorldServer.java:313)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72835_b(WorldServer.java:183)

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: RFTest 4
All players: 1 total; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/398, l='RFTest 4', x=-15.46, y=90.35, z=-80.06]]
Chunk stats: ServerChunkCache: 734 Drop: 0
Level seed: -7961768157079364225
Level generator options:
Stacktrace:

-- System Details --
Details:
Memory: 623805880 bytes (594 MB) / 1136132096 bytes (1083 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 13, tallocated: 95
rftools{2.00beta2} [RFTools] (rftools-2.00beta2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Player Count: 1 / 8; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/398, l='RFTest 4', x=-15.46, y=90.35, z=-80.06]]
// Why did you do that?

Time: 12/4/14 4:32 PM

... 23 more

-- Head --
Stacktrace:

-- Affected level --
Details:
All players: 1 total; [EntityClientPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/365, l='MpServer', x=-25.68, y=77.62, z=234.82]]
Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 589, 589
Level generator options:
Level time: 2317 game time, 2317 day time
Forced entities: 124 total; [EntityZombie['Zombie'/5500, l='MpServer', x=-14.50, y=18.00, <snip> .50], EntityCreeper['Creeper'/1690, l='MpServer', x=54.34, y=24.00, z=196.44]]
Stacktrace:

-- System Details --
Details:
Memory: 307021920 bytes (292 MB) / 797442048 bytes (760 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)

<snip>

Then, I re-enabled BuildCraft, logged in, and it worked.

Shift-clicking the dimension monitor while in the dimension printed this in the console in red:
Code:
Description: B5,T95

Shift-clicking the dimension tab printed this in yellow:
Code:
B5,T95
    Terrain: TERRAIN_NORMAL
    Biome: Forest
    Feature: FEATURE_CAVES
    Feature: FEATURE_NONE
    Structure: STRUCTURE_DUNGEON
As I was flying around, I noticed both ravines and caves, as well, hills and lakes, and lots of trees. I also found this:
2014-12-05_14.56.50.png

A naturally-generated nether portal. I didn't step through, which I now regret because I returned to the Overworld via a pre-dialed matter transmitter, and when I tried to come back to the dimension (the Overworld-side transmitter beam was green briefly, then turned yellow), this happened:
// My bad.

Time: 12/5/14 3:01 PM
Description: Ticking block entity

java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking block entity
at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_72356_a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:479)
at com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterTileEntity.performTeleport(MatterTransmitterTileEntity.java:462)
at com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterTileEntity.checkStateServer(MatterTransmitterTileEntity.java:352)
at com.mcjty.entity.GenericTileEntity.func_145845_h(GenericTileEntity.java:42)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1939)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:489)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:636)

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_72356_a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:479)
at com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterTileEntity.performTeleport(MatterTransmitterTileEntity.java:462)
at com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterTileEntity.checkStateServer(MatterTransmitterTileEntity.java:352)
at com.mcjty.entity.GenericTileEntity.func_145845_h(GenericTileEntity.java:42)

-- Block entity being ticked --
Details:
Name: MatterTransmitterTileEntity // com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterTileEntity
Block type: ID #220 (tile.matterTransmitterBlock // com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterBlock)
Block data value: 0 / 0x0 / 0b0000
Block location: World: (45,71,235), Chunk: (at 13,4,11 in 2,14; contains blocks 32,0,224 to 47,255,239), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Actual block type: ID #220 (tile.matterTransmitterBlock // com.mcjty.rftools.blocks.teleporter.MatterTransmitterBlock)
Actual block data value: 0 / 0x0 / 0b0000
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1939)
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:489)

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: RFTest 4
All players: 1 total; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/397, l='RFTest 4', x=45.39, y=72.00, z=235.37]]
Chunk stats: ServerChunkCache: 716 Drop: 0
Level seed: -7961768157079364225
Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: true
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (34,64,172), Chunk: (at 2,4,12 in 2,10; contains blocks 32,0,160 to 47,255,175), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)
Level time: 29032 game time, 29032 day time
Level dimension: 2
Level storage version: 0x04ABD - Anvil
Level weather: Rain time: 37628 (now: false), thunder time: 20821 (now: false)
Level game mode: Game mode: creative (ID 1). Hardcore: false. Cheats: true
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:636)

-- System Details --
Details:
Memory: 165409544 bytes (157 MB) / 527958016 bytes (503 MB) up to 1908932608 bytes (1820 MB)
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 15, tallocated: 95

<snip>

rftools{2.00beta2} [RFTools] (rftools-2.00beta2.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available->Available->Available->Available
Player Count: 1 / 8; [EntityPlayerMP['Someone_Else_37'/397, l='RFTest 4', x=45.39, y=72.00, z=235.37]]
Logged back in and... I'm still in the overworld standing on the transmitter, but nothing happens. The beam is yellow (I have a destination analyzer) (what does a yellow transmitter beam mean, by the way?), but stepping in it does nothing, and while the matter receiver in the dimension shows up in the dialer, it won't actually let me dial to it.

Using the teleporter probe (which also shows a reciever in "id 2") to go there gave me a dirtscreen saying "Connection Lost- A fatal error has occured, this connection is terminated" with a "Back to Title Screen" button. Clicking that button took me to the Multiplayer screen (which showed no servers to connect to), but logging back into the singleplayer world worked fine.
Looking at the log in MultiMC, the important things seems to be a spam of this right up until I used the probe:
Code:
[15:12:18] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR]: [net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager:initDimension:238]: Cannot Hotload Dim: Could not get provider type for dimension 2, does not exist
then a whole bunch of stacktraces that look like this:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_72356_a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:479) ~[oi.class:?]
at com.mcjty.rftools.items.teleportprobe.PacketForceTeleport.onMessage(PacketForceTeleport.java:49) ~[PacketForceTeleport.class:?]
at com.mcjty.rftools.items.teleportprobe.PacketForceTeleport.onMessage(PacketForceTeleport.java:11) ~[PacketForceTeleport.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:37) ~[SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:17) ~[SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:98) ~[SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:101) ~[SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:101) ~[SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:103) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.channelRead(MessageToMessageCodec.java:111) ~[MessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:785) ~[DefaultChannelPipeline.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:169) ~[EmbeddedChannel.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.internal.FMLProxyPacket.func_148833_a(FMLProxyPacket.java:77) [FMLProxyPacket.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212) [ej.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.func_151269_c(NetworkSystem.java:165) [nc.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:659) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:547) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.func_71217_p(IntegratedServer.java:111) [bsx.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:427) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:685) [?:?]
I had placed the dimension tab in a Builder in the forest dimension itself when I did the above- maybe that has something to do with it?

Also, compasses don't seem to do anything useful in your dimensions- they point to some random point that's not where the starting platform is. Would it be possible to make the compasses point back toward the platform?

Dimension tabs without any dimlets are still called "Unnamed", but they don't crash when you extract them. So that's fixed.

I'm currently waiting for a really expensive dimension to be built, so I can test the debuffs and kicking mechanic.