Poll: RFTools Dimension Builder Penalties

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you want to incure a constant RF cost in order to keep a created dimension accessible?

• Yes, but not too much

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Yes, and a lot more RF for very complicated dimensions

Votes: 69 65.7%
  • No, the RF cost at creation time is sufficient

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Other (clarify in response)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Behold! My first island (and admire the broken attempt below it :) )

ljGhe3R.png

The first version of this island looked like this:

Su4dmGH.png

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Nice. I really like that there are overhangs to the island. Definite improvement over version ! :p

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
the broken attempt does look interesting tho, maybe I just have a thing for weird maps. I like to start a flat map with just bedrock delete all but one region and change it to default/biomesop worldgen and just stay in the hole and mine the walls

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
the broken attempt does look interesting tho, maybe I just have a thing for weird maps. I like to start a flat map with just bedrock delete all but one region and change it to default/biomesop worldgen and just stay in the hole and mine the walls

Yes, I also like interesting maps. However this one isn't very good for a number of reasons. First the way the shape generates for some reason causes immense lag in Minecraft. Also to make matters worse, as soon as the gravel realizes it is floating then all hell breaks loose :)

But I do want to experiment with interesting map shapes besides the regular flat,void,normal,amplified,island stuff.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
How about this?

Creation cost = 5,000RF * complexity of dimension (so all basics have complexity of 1, but stuff like diamond ore would have maybe a complexity of 20, or something)

Then for more "balance" have it so that there is energy storage on the portal (either side) that accepts power to keep the age "stable". (and maybe have the portals load the chunk(s) they occupy), and they drain at a rate of maybe 100Rf/t * complexity. And If the power runs then there would be negative effects such as power costs ramp up (so for example pulverizing stone -> cobble usually costs 500RF, but when the "instability" is there, it now costs 2000RF/t, or something)

But I would also add conduits that can carry millions of RF/t (and maybe energy cells that can input/output more power too) if this were to happen, because a super complex dimension may be sucking 300K RF/t

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
How about this?

Creation cost = 5,000RF * complexity of dimension (so all basics have complexity of 1, but stuff like diamond ore would have maybe a complexity of 20, or something)

Then for more "balance" have it so that there is energy storage on the portal (either side) that accepts power to keep the age "stable". (and maybe have the portals load the chunk(s) they occupy), and they drain at a rate of maybe 100Rf/t * complexity. And If the power runs then there would be negative effects such as power costs ramp up (so for example pulverizing stone -> cobble usually costs 500RF, but when the "instability" is there, it now costs 2000RF/t, or something)

But I would also add conduits that can carry millions of RF/t (and maybe energy cells that can input/output more power too) if this were to happen, because a super complex dimension may be sucking 300K RF/t

Well there is no single 'cost' number associated with a dimension but more like a cost per individual dimlet you put in that dimension. So there are more expensive dimlets and less expensive dimlets.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to chunkload myself. I feel that's a decision that has to be done by the user by letting him add his own chunkloader if so desired. It may very well be that his base will already have a chunkloader anyway (most big bases do at some point). Another reason for this is also to avoid server owners having to worry about yet another chunkloader that potentially has to be disabled/restricted. Better leave that job to established chunkloader mods out there.

I am undecided about the ability to give power to a dimension from the dimension itself. Currently the *only* way to feed power into a dimension is through the dimension builder. Note that you can actually make a new dimension tab from the same dimlets and it will refer to the same dimension. So you *could* make a new dimension builder, put that in your dimensions and then put the duplicate dimension tab in that. So you can have power going in from multiple dimension builders. You can also move the dimension builder to the destination dimension. It doesn't care where it is. However, if there is ever a power problem it can be very hard to get to that dimension builder again (since it is in the failing dimension) so you have to be careful with that.

I haven't attempted to do any balancing to the dimlet system yet. This will be an ongoing process with people telling me: 'hey this is too op! make it more costly' and others telling me: 'why does this cost that much?' :)

Question:

I do recently came on a slight problem with my mod mechanics though. Say you are on a server that restricts chunk loaders so that they are only active when you're online. Say also that you have a dimension running with your base in it. As soon as you leave the server the chunkloader stops. However, the dimension will keep draining power! When you later return to your dimension you will die immediatelly.

How to solve this? One possibility is to don't drain dimension power when there is nobody in it or when there are no chunkloaders active in it (i.e. that way, it would keep draining power when nobody is in the dimension but a chunkloader is keeping chunks active). I like this option as it means that it will automatically stop drawing power as soon as nobody is in your dimension and your chunkloader stops being active. A few problems can still occur if other people happen to visit your dimension though.

Any other suggestions?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe have it so that it is "bound" to the creator.

So if I made the dimension, power would only be drained if I was on the server. Even if I wasn't in the dimension.
That way you don't have to worry about the potential "I live near other people, and my base stays loaded if they are online" issue

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Maybe have it so that it is "bound" to the creator.

So if I made the dimension, power would only be drained if I was on the server. Even if I wasn't in the dimension.
That way you don't have to worry about the potential "I live near other people, and my base stays loaded if they are online" issue

That's also an option but it potentially also has its problems:

• If you want a nice dimension that you can run unrestricted in you let a player who is about to stop on the server make it for you and your dimension will run unpowered forever.
  • If someone else recreates the same dimension tab to power it and then who does the dimension belong too? Can still be the first player who created it but still.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe add a whitelist to it too then?

So it would be bound to me, but I could add your username to it in the dimension builder after it has been created - or something. And then if I left, and you were on, you could go to the dimension and it would drain power until you leave.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Maybe add a whitelist to it too then?

So it would be bound to me, but I could add your username to it in the dimension builder after it has been created - or something. And then if I left, and you were on, you could go to the dimension and it would drain power until you leave.

Yes but it would still allow (without drain) other people to come on that dimension.

I'm kinda liking my idea of only having the dimension powered if either someone (no matter who) is there and/or a chunkloader is active there. When neither of these conditions is true nothing useful is happening in that world anyway since it is not loaded by minecraft.

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes but it would still allow (without drain) other people to come on that dimension.

I'm kinda liking my idea of only having the dimension powered if either someone (no matter who) is there and/or a chunkloader is active there. When neither of these conditions is true nothing useful is happening in that world anyway since it is not loaded by minecraft.
Makes sense. Perhaps some garbled lore about the dimension being in stasis until something interacts with it (player/chunkloader).

Also hope you do expand on the weird dimension generation options too. I just loved combining various things for weird results in earlier version of Mystcraft (that had an addon for extra generation types).

Reactions: pc_assassin

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I just implemented support for material modifiers. So you can now actually change the base material of your dimension to (for example) netherack, dirt, stone (default) or diamond blocks, gold ore, gold blocks(!)

I have a balance question though about these VERY VERY op materials. I don't want to disallow them but I want to make it a challenge to use them. So I would like to have an idea about the following questions for these OP blocks (diamond ore, diamond block, gold ore, gold block, ...).

1. How rare should these dimlets be? If you research 10000 unknown dimlets. Then how many diamond block dimlets should you have? How many diamond ore? and so on.
  2. How much RF/tick should these modifiers be if used on full terrain. i.e. make a world made out of diamond blocks (not as ore, but full diamond blocks everywhere). How much RF/tick would you expect that to cost to keep alive? How much for diamond ore? and so on
  3. How much RF/tick should these modifiers be if used as ore generation. That means that not the entire terrain is made out of them but you'll be able to find these blocks scattered through the landscape as 'ore'. Note that the same dimlets are going to be used but they will be modifiers for another master dimlet (i.e. 'diamond block' modifying 'terrain dimlet' will alter the entire terrain, 'diamond block' modifying 'ore' dimlet will add ores).
Trying to come up with reasonable and not totally impossible values but still pretty hard to actually be able to use.

imPlayin

Jul 29, 2019
I just implemented support for material modifiers. So you can now actually change the base material of your dimension to (for example) netherack, dirt, stone (default) or diamond blocks, gold ore, gold blocks(!)

I have a balance question though about these VERY VERY op materials. I don't want to disallow them but I want to make it a challenge to use them. So I would like to have an idea about the following questions for these OP blocks (diamond ore, diamond block, gold ore, gold block, ...).

1. How rare should these dimlets be? If you research 10000 unknown dimlets. Then how many diamond block dimlets should you have? How many diamond ore? and so on.
  2. How much RF/tick should these modifiers be if used on full terrain. i.e. make a world made out of diamond blocks (not as ore, but full diamond blocks everywhere). How much RF/tick would you expect that to cost to keep alive? How much for diamond ore? and so on
  3. How much RF/tick should these modifiers be if used as ore generation. That means that not the entire terrain is made out of them but you'll be able to find these blocks scattered through the landscape as 'ore'. Note that the same dimlets are going to be used but they will be modifiers for another master dimlet (i.e. 'diamond block' modifying 'terrain dimlet' will alter the entire terrain, 'diamond block' modifying 'ore' dimlet will add ores).
Trying to come up with reasonable and not totally impossible values but still pretty hard to actually be able to use.

1. 0.1 or so if it can be automated
2. around 1MRF/t to 2MRF/t (1 million rf/t to 2 million rf/t)
3. 100kRF/t to 200kRF/t

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think having a "destabilized" world could work for adding extra ores
- the running cost of that dimension exponentially increases with the size of the world [number of chunks generated]
- the running cost also increases with how long a dimension is active

With the building cost, what about the percentage of "OP" blocks [out of total generated blocks] determines the overall cost [and severity of the destabilisation]
So if diamond block costs 100 million RF [which really isn't that much]
-then a would of solid diamond blocks would cost 100 million [+ cost of the other dimlets]
-if it only replaced stone [leaving dirt/gravel]- then it'll be around 75 million
-just the ores would be ~1 million.

[there could be a multiplier representing the amount of blocks generated; a full flatworld being 2000, vanilla terrain 700, sky island 50, void 0.01)​

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Just my opinion and I love what you are doing so far. But, I have some concerns about chunk loading. I own a white listed DW20 and allow my players free reign to live in Mystcraft worlds (all of them are void ages and they do have them chunk loaded). With the dimension builder require power and chunk loading that would be a 2nd chunk loader per player on my server. I have real concern with needing a chunk loader in the overworld to keep void dimensions operating. Is there something planned to make void ages zero energy cost? Even if it is an upgrade they can add later?

BTW: I still plan on testing this in my DW20 world soon. Probably next weekend I'll create a backup copy of my server and install this mod into it just to see what happens then I'll turn loose a couple of my players on it and see what breaks.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Loading an additional chunk will not make any noticable difference to the server load.

Chunkloaders themselves rarely cause any additional lag- in comparison a player loads around 400 chunks just by being online.
Its the activities going on inside those chunks that cause the problems
- if everyone loads their bases then you're effectively keeping the server at full capacity regardless of who's online.

If you're really that worried, a single spot loader per player and then teleport the power in- or keep all the dimension builders in the spawn chunks- which are force loaded by vanilla.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds great but I think It should have to cost rf but when you run out it doesnt just delete your world but it goes dorment were theres nothing can happen there but its no completely gone. For the power consumption you should make in configrable