Poll: RFTools Dimension Builder Penalties

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you want to incure a constant RF cost in order to keep a created dimension accessible?

• Yes, but not too much

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Yes, and a lot more RF for very complicated dimensions

Votes: 69 65.7%
  • No, the RF cost at creation time is sufficient

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Other (clarify in response)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Just added a bunch of zeroes to the config file. No more random features or instadeath for me. Take that, unwieldy attempts at "balance".

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Then why was my energy cell full when I got back? From the brief glimpse I had of it, the dimension wasnt even close to what I intended it to be. Just like Mystcraft.

Can you give me some information about the dimension? Put the dimension tab in your hand in shift-right click on it. I'm interested in the messages you get then. Perhaps something went wrong somewhere.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Then why was my energy cell full when I got back? From the brief glimpse I had of it, the dimension wasnt even close to what I intended it to be. Just like Mystcraft.

BTW, still interested in the dimension information but I do have a theory. I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this but I did notice in my own world that the first dimension that I made in my world also wasn't being powered properly. It got its initial power right after building but then I entered the dimension and it was dropping power anyway. When I returned to my base I discovered that while the dimension builder was full it wasn't feeding power into the dimension. After restarting my server (I play on a private server) things were ok and power was getting into the dimension. All dimensions I created later didn't suffer that problem.

I create all my dimensions from a Mystcraft dimension. I use the current world to store power and dimension information (but that should automatically be shared with other worlds) so perhaps something is weird there. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on a fresh server where I created my dimensions from the overworld. I need to setup a new test where I again create my first dimension from a mystcraft world so confirm that this is the case.

It is also possible that it has nothing to do with this and that it is just a matter of 'luck' if your first dimension will work fine. In any case, as a workaround restarting your server and/or client should fix this. I will further investigate this problem.

Note that I'm not sure that this is the problem that you experienced. You'll have to give me some more details on the circumstances on how you created this dimension.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
BTW, another thing. Sometimes it happens that for a weird reason the generation of the matter receiver fails. This usually seems to happen because some other worldgen overwrites the receiver or breaks it in some way. I haven't been able to reliably fix this yet but luckily it is rare. When this happens you'll notice that either:

• The destination for the new dimension is simply not listed in the teleportation dialing device so there is nothing to dial too.
  • The destination is listed but trying to dial will return 'invalid destination'.
If this happens then the only way to fix this is to forcibly teleport into the new dimension and manually fix up the receiver there. You can do this in creative by spawning in the 'Teleporter Probe' item and then just placing the proper receiver there, give it a name and power (using a creative energy cell or whatever). Then remove the cheaty stuff and go along as if nothing happened :)

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I vote No. Simply put, people will just turn off the portal, the dimensions will be saved and no power drain. My suggestion would be that the dimension would have to be "jumpstarted". (Like the fusion reactor in simcity), you expend a large single burst of power to "mantain" the dimension, which will close after a period. Id add in a cheap craft that will tell you the time till the impending doo.. i mean closing of the dimension. Then it would have to be re jumpstarted. It would still burn up time not in use, meaning that each trip should be stretched so you dont waster extra power.

My other idea would to input lots of power, and depending how much, it would open for a certain amount.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I vote No. Simply put, people will just turn off the portal, the dimensions will be saved and no power drain. My suggestion would be that the dimension would have to be "jumpstarted". (Like the fusion reactor in simcity), you expend a large single burst of power to "mantain" the dimension, which will close after a period. Id add in a cheap craft that will tell you the time till the impending doo.. i mean closing of the dimension. Then it would have to be re jumpstarted. It would still burn up time not in use, meaning that each trip should be stretched so you dont waster extra power.

My other idea would to input lots of power, and depending how much, it would open for a certain amount.

Turning off the portal doesn't prevent powerdrain. As soon as the dimension is created it drains power. Even if nobody is present. You can remove the dimension tab from the builder. Then the dimension will STILL consume power but run on its internal buffer.

There is only one way to prevent power usage and that is to put an 'Activity Probe' in that dimension. With that block present in a dimension it will only drain power if the dimension is actually loaded by the game (that is when a player is present or one or more chunks are loaded by a chunkloader or whatever).

karmarcharger

Jul 29, 2019
I love these features.

I suggest disabling block breaking/block placing when its out of power too! :p

If that happened there would be to much of a chance of getting stuck in that world.

Unpowered dimensions already kill you quite rapidly if you don't have a charged Phased Field Generator on your hotbar, so there's really no need to make things more difficult on the player.

The whole point of the field generator, to my knowledge, is so that you can restart your power generation if you decided to power a dimension from within your base in the dimension itself without going through the hassle of putting together a duplicate dimension tab without access to your base and all the other stuff in the dimension. Making it impossible to break blocks that may be jamming your powergen or replacing missing cables or something would severely undercut this functionality.

The purpose of the changes to the way entities and tile entities work in the latest updates (i.e. freezing them in unpowered dimensions) was to keep people from abusing dimensions by running quarries in them without powering them. It's not supposed to affect players directly, if I'm not mistaken.

No, there wouldn't. When you die in an RFTools dimension, you respawn in the Overworld. If the dimension's out of power, you're going to die instantly unless you're got a phased field generator.

Well that might not be good as the idea is that you are capable of restoring your dimension and getting access back. That might sometimes require breaking and placing blocks depending on the reason for the power meltdown (like a creeper explosion or such)

Edit: sorry. This is off-topic. Didn't actually notice the thread this was posted in :)

Pulled over from the other thread...

The main problem with RFTools dimensions that require disabling block breaking is the major exploit players(me) are using, *Makes a yellorium ocean world, dumps pump in there, chunkload it, bails out of world cut out power to the dimlet.... The pump continues to work, giving me yellorium etc....I have a similar setup for enderium too.... And also a similar setup for all the ores that i require.... So basically the only thing i need to do is to jump start the world for 30 seconds, then I can just replace the pump/quarries .... I have seen many threads of this on other server causing a major pain for the owners too :p

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Pulled over from the other thread...

The main problem with RFTools dimensions that require disabling block breaking is the major exploit players(me) are using, *Makes a yellorium ocean world, dumps pump in there, chunkload it, bails out of world cut out power to the dimlet.... The pump continues to work, giving me yellorium etc....I have a similar setup for enderium too.... And also a similar setup for all the ores that i require.... So basically the only thing i need to do is to jump start the world for 30 seconds, then I can just replace the pump/quarries .... I have seen many threads of this on other server causing a major pain for the owners too :p

Well in the next version of RFTools at least the pump should no longer work. In 2.76 that is disabled by default but in the changelog I explain how to enable it.
So that exploit should be gone now.

karmarcharger

Jul 29, 2019
Well in the next version of RFTools at least the pump should no longer work. In 2.76 that is disabled by default but in the changelog I explain how to enable it.
So that exploit should be gone now.
darn ;P Guess I need to set up more pumps before its fixed xc

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

Unless theres a way to detect loaded chunks, and force-unload them?