Poll: RFTools Dimension Builder Penalties

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you want to incure a constant RF cost in order to keep a created dimension accessible?

• Yes, but not too much

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Yes, and a lot more RF for very complicated dimensions

Votes: 69 65.7%
  • No, the RF cost at creation time is sufficient

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Other (clarify in response)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Alright, I had created a Void world, and it worked great. I put in a empty tab, hoping to get a random world, and this happened: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/86ca7080

The tab now appears to contain a dimension, and is accepting power, but no reciever appears on the Dialing Device.

But, overall, the mod is amazing. I've loved all the worlds I made.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Alright, I had created a Void world, and it worked great. I put in a empty tab, hoping to get a random world, and this happened: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/86ca7080

The tab now appears to contain a dimension, and is accepting power, but no reciever appears on the Dialing Device.

But, overall, the mod is amazing. I've loved all the worlds I made.

Hmm, seems something went wrong with the biomes. Can you do shift-rightclick with the dimension tab in your hand and give me the description string?

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Hmm, seems something went wrong with the biomes. Can you do shift-rightclick with the dimension tab in your hand and give me the description string?
Code:
Terrain: TERRAIN_NORMAL
    Base block: Stone
    Base fluid: tile.blockRedPlasma.name
Feature: FEATURE_NONE
Feature: FEATURE_CAVES
Feature: FEATURE_RAVINES
Structure: STRUCTURE_FORTRESS
Structure: STRUCTURE_DUNGEON
Sun brightness: 1.5
Star brightness: 1.0
Mob: net.minecraft.entity.monster.EntitySpider
Mob: net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityMooshroom

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Code:

Hmm, unfortunately that's not the information I'm looking for. The problem is that there is only a way to get a description string from a dimension while being in the dimension itself (holding shift-click on a dimension monitor). I'll provide a way to get a description string from anywhere for the next version. Just for now hold on to that bad dimension tab so that we can examine it more closely later.

Thanks,

Reactions: buggirlexpres

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Oops. I was wrong. Just right cli
Code:

Actually. It is showing the information (description string) but because it is empty (you didn't put in any dimlets) it has nothing to show. So that's not what I want either. Can you try to teleport to that dimension? You can see the dimension id on the dimension tab and you can cheat in the 'teleporter probe' to teleport to any dimension in the game. It is possible that it will crash again but perhaps it won't. Just would like to see if the dimension turns out right after all.

Thanks.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Now you can get mazes:

Y1DvJ2V.png

And on a flat world:

30nk5OI.png

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Nice, being an "artificial digital" world within an "artificial digital" world there's no need for things to make sense.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Nice, being an "artificial digital" world within an "artificial digital" world there's no need for things to make sense.

Exactly! And I want to give a feeling of 'surprise' when you get a thing like this in a random dimension you just made. I'm planning more features like these (without going too exotic of course).

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Oops. I was wrong. Just right cli

Actually. It is showing the information (description string) but because it is empty (you didn't put in any dimlets) it has nothing to show. So that's not what I want either. Can you try to teleport to that dimension? You can see the dimension id on the dimension tab and you can cheat in the 'teleporter probe' to teleport to any dimension in the game. It is possible that it will crash again but perhaps it won't. Just would like to see if the dimension turns out right after all.

Thanks.
It didn't crash, but it booted me to a "Connection Lost - A fatal error has occured, connection terminated."

Here's the log, as there was no crash: http://paste.ee/p/fo5As

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Exactly! And I want to give a feeling of 'surprise' when you get a thing like this in a random dimension you just made. I'm planning more features like these (without going too exotic of course).
Now I'm curious as to what you consider "too exotic"...

Oh, and I think calling the canyons "fins" would make more sense. I've heard similar-looking structures in Bryce Canyon be called that.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
It didn't crash, but it booted me to a "Connection Lost - A fatal error has occured, connection terminated."

Here's the log, as there was no crash: http://paste.ee/p/fo5As

There is actually a crash inside it which could be related:

Code:
[16:52:42] [Server thread/ERROR] [CustomOreGen]: Problem loading world config
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Ore block descriptor for ChiselLimestoneLayers is empty or does not match any registered blocks.
at CustomOreGen.Server.MapGenOreDistribution.validate(MapGenOreDistribution.java:320) ~[MapGenOreDistribution.class:?]
at CustomOreGen.Server.MapGenCloud.validate(MapGenCloud.java:80) ~[MapGenCloud.class:?]
at CustomOreGen.Server.ServerState.validateDistributions(ServerState.java:142) [ServerState.class:?]
at CustomOreGen.Server.ServerState.getWorldConfig(ServerState.java:90) [ServerState.class:?]
at CustomOreGen.ForgeInterface.onLoadWorld(ForgeInterface.java:46) [ForgeInterface.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_102_ForgeInterface_onLoadWorld_Load.invoke(.dynamic) [?:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54) [ASMEventHandler.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:138) [EventBus.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager.initDimension(DimensionManager.java:247) [DimensionManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71218_a(MinecraftServer.java:705) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at com.mcjty.rftools.items.teleportprobe.PacketForceTeleport.onMessage(PacketForceTeleport.java:51) [PacketForceTeleport.class:?]
at com.mcjty.rftools.items.teleportprobe.PacketForceTeleport.onMessage(PacketForceTeleport.java:13) [PacketForceTeleport.class:?

This crash is triggered from the RFTools teleportation code (probably when you attempted to use the teleporter probe) but it is actually crashing in CustomOreGen. Not sure why exactly but could this be a configuration problem on the part of COG? Perhaps COG has to be reconfigured specifically for RFTools dimensions.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I can see an error in one of the textures, so I'll give that a fix. Looks good from a distance, bit iffy up close.

I think take picture 3 and 5, with the black edging to the building, then use the tile/brick effect for the floor. Make a new light source that uses that light texture, and replace the glowstone lamp. Then there's the ceiling, which is slabs. Hmm. Tricky. I think it does need to be slabs, so slab versions of the blocks needed.

I'll knock up some additional textures, then we can fine tune from there. I guess first thing is what is the actual function of these buildings? (apart from being a fancy loot chest)

Hi Golrith, with your updated textures I made this:

PKTi8LV.png

Looks really good. I made it so that the orientation of the pilar type blocks depends on how you place them. So you can put them vertically or horizontally for the patterns you desire. I didn't yet make the slab version. That's on my todo.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hi Golrith, with your updated textures I made this:

PKTi8LV.png

Looks really good. I made it so that the orientation of the pilar type blocks depends on how you place them. So you can put them vertically or horizontally for the patterns you desire. I didn't yet make the slab version. That's on my todo.
That looks much better. Didn't think that the new pattern blocks when combined would end up looking like a chain :p
I think white buildings with those pillars as edging, and a dark texture for contrasting features is going to make those skyscrapers look quite impressive.
Definitely going to need a custom door (or doors, one interior (aka wood), one exterior (aka iron))
Tile blocks for flooring, interior walls and edging/features.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
This crash is triggered from the RFTools teleportation code (probably when you attempted to use the teleporter probe) but it is actually crashing in CustomOreGen. Not sure why exactly but could this be a configuration problem on the part of COG? Perhaps COG has to be reconfigured specifically for RFTools dimensions.
That's good to know. I'll look at it, see why it's doing that.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Made a second dimension and when I entered I was greeted with unavoidable instantaneous death, thanks RFtools. I installed this mod thinking it would be a less annoying alternative to Mystcraft but it turned out to be even less forgiving if you do something "wrong". I cant understand for the life of me why anyone would even want a dimension that kills you. Whats fun about that?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Made a second dimension and when I entered I was greeted with unavoidable instantaneous death, thanks RFtools. I installed this mod thinking it would be a less annoying alternative to Mystcraft but it turned out to be even less forgiving if you do something "wrong". I cant understand for the life of me why anyone would even want a dimension that kills you. Whats fun about that?
Did you keep powering the Dimension Builder after it finished building the dimension?

What you experienced (unaviodable, instantaneous death) is exactly what happens when a dimension runs out of power.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Then why was my energy cell full when I got back? From the brief glimpse I had of it, the dimension wasnt even close to what I intended it to be. Just like Mystcraft.