[Poll] Do you use Gregtech?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use gregtech?

• Total voters

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Configs?
They can disable GT's modifications.
So I have a point, you "configs? What is that black magic?" dumbass...

Oh, Right, Ok. I'm dealing with stupidity, i must put on the baby gloves.

You see, There are lots of places where people connect to called servers.

On these servers, they typically just play the standard default modpack because getting people to deal with configs is to much of a pain. And since FTB decided that Gregtech should be in full intrusive mode (Instead of the promised not as intrusive configs) Most servers will STAY on the default configs.

Now also due to the fact that most people tend to want to play with others, these base configs are what most are playing with. And as far as I'm aware, you aren't able to just use your own configs over the servers. That'd be "Unbalanced".

Now if you like to play alone, whatever, but your config solution does'nt mean jack to the majority of people who play the modpacks, and you should'nt be expecting everyone to play forever alone as you do.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
so is this our weekly GT rant? At least it's not a new thread.
And for the record, it's completely possible to ignore GT.. I do.
And you can make iron blocks with the smeltery regardless of GT configs

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019

Smelt....ery? I've checked the wiki, and looked in game, What's the ACTUAL name of the block? Because i can find no such thing. D:

The only Smeltery i'm familiar with is Tinkerers Construct's.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

i wonder how can one ignore GT if they play modpack on a server? most servers run with standard configs...

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
An interesting and mostly related side note:

Greg has made the solar panel a bit cheaper in the next version of Gregtech (the one currently used for the 1.5 beta) by removing the requirement of a generator. It now costs a total of 2 silicon plates, 1 carbon plate, 2 electronic circuits, 1 glass pane, 3,200 EU, and one of the following machine hulls; Aluminium Machine Hull, Machine Block, Sturdy Casing (Forestry), Bronze Machine Hull, or Machine Frame. (Thermal Expansion)

Actually, it can be argued that Greg has managed to make the solar panel even cheaper then in vanilla, since he makes all of the components completely renewable, as well as gives alternative resource-efficient options for the things that aren't easily renewable. Oh, and he removed the requirement of a battery, which he made cheaper anyway.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
As normal this is the what GT brings out in ppl, for gods sake if you like it use it!, if you dont like it dont use it!, why should this forums be polluted with spamming GT this or that really its only a mod & DOES NOT DESERVE this amount of attention or free advertising (yeah I know), as we have seen so many times this topic results in a flame war or just a stupid slagging match, come on guys your better than this. plz guys n gals lets put this to bed & remember what a debate is..

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Show me again where people complained about the Generator being the expensive part.

Generator = 8 iron or 8 aluminium + machine parts, or 4 iron and 1 gold, or 8 bronze, on top of either 1.5 tin, .5 lead, .5 sulfuric acid, and .5 insulated copper cable.

Other Components, 2 Circuits = 1 refined iron or aluminium, and 2 electrum, and 2 copper ingots for the cables
2 silicon plates = 32 cobblestone or gravel, or 8 clay or obsidian, plus a largely trivial byproduct of many other reactions.
1 carbon plate = 18 carbon cells. Use charcoal or sugar.
1 glass pane

Sure, you do need some well-established infrastructure to get everything, but honestly it's not that hard to make a basic IC2/GT setup. Plus, remember that this is completely free, maintenance-free and care-free power all day, everyday.

As a side note, really mystcraft was in this beta modpack. I miss my two synchronized-orbit suns...

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, Right, Ok. I'm dealing with stupidity, i must put on the baby gloves.

You see, There are lots of places where people connect to called servers.

On these servers, they typically just play the standard default modpack because getting people to deal with configs is to much of a pain. And since FTB decided that Gregtech should be in full intrusive mode (Instead of the promised not as intrusive configs) Most servers will STAY on the default configs.

Now also due to the fact that most people tend to want to play with others, these base configs are what most are playing with. And as far as I'm aware, you aren't able to just use your own configs over the servers. That'd be "Unbalanced".

Now if you like to play alone, whatever, but your config solution does'nt mean jack to the majority of people who play the modpacks, and you should'nt be expecting everyone to play forever alone as you do.

A server's config actually alters what is the community.
I play on servers too, mainly whitelisted.
Since it's whitelisted, we all agree on a config.
And it also has a friendlier community.
If people don't give a flying shit to whitelisted servers, then the real problem they have to deal with is with the server owners.
And if the owners are arseholes, they may want to leave too.

And if they want to make an anvil, they need:
8 iron + 2 redstone + 4 tin + 3 copper + 6 rubber + 8 cobble for the generator and 9 iron + 2 redstone + 3 copper + 6 rubber + 6 stone for the compressor.
Totalizing a total of 17 iron, 4 redstone, 6 copper, 12 rubber, 6 stone, 4 tin and 8 cobble.
That's preety cheap, FYI.
The anvil itself goes to a total of 31 iron.
If you've gotten by the point you need an anvil and you don't have a compressor, something is wrong with you.
Seriously.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with Dave on this.

Nothing worng with having an anvil before you have an compressor. It all depends on your chosen path and goals.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Nonsense. Balderdash. Take your value judgements and leave, sir.
I just think the following:
Even if you don't use GT, I don't really see the point of getting an anvil without already getting a compressor.
It doesn't really get use, IMO. I need a reason to use it. I don't see the real reason to use the anvil in any way.
And can someone give me an example of GT interfering with something people REALLY need?
Unless turning 9 stacks into 1 stack is something downright gamebreaking, I need a reason for not getting such a low amount of stuff for being able to turn your iron into blocks.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
AE... Yeah, that is a problem.
I guess I should go more into hack/slash, I don't enchant my tools, I just go TConstruct.
So, I guess AE (which is incredible) and enchanted tools are problematic. On the other hand, 24 iron is either iron armor with vanilla or an anvil with GT.
It's also more fun to me to set a goal (get an anvil) and work my way to it.