damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
Legend:
LP = Let's Play
MP = Mod Pack
CM = Custom Map
Launcher = Feed The Beast Launcher

A few thoughts, questions and concerns about this section of the forum:

1. I will be making a LP in my native language starting this winter(no ETA yet) and I want to be able to distribute through the Launcher the exact mod pack that I will use.
- My MP will have the FTB MP as a core with a few modifications and additions
- It will come with an attached 16x16 texture pack (just vanilla with a few modifications here and there)
- I will constantly maintain it and will update the version every time
- This MP will ensure all my subscribers will be able to play my saves which I will probably distribute through the Launcher as well, in the form of custom maps

2. In order for me to be able to do all this I will need a few things:
- Permission to distribute all mods in the FTB MP as long as it is done through the Launcher
- A way to prove I have permission from the other mod authors. This will also help with asking for the permission in a certain format from them.
- A way to constantly contact the Launcher crew (an interface or something on the site) and give them the files and information needed for adding and maintaining my content on the Launcher

3. Will it be possible to distribute a MP / CM with a recommended CM / MP ?
For example let's say I make an Adventure Map and a dedicated MP for it. I want that all the people that download that map to have the possibility, from the same GUI, to also select to install the MP that comes with it.
========================================
||------------ Awesome Adventure Map --------||
||------------ Recommended content for this map: ------------||
||------------ [ ] Awesome MP --------------------------------- ||
||------------ [ ] Awesome Texture Pack -----------------------||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------||
||------------ Install -------------------------------------------||
========================================

4. Please take into consideration that I didn't have the time to play with the Launcher yet, but if you think these features are already in, please leave a small reply with a printscreen. It will help a lot.

Cheers!

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
You will need to approach the developers to get the permissions. We cannot transfer permissions from the FTB Launcher to a third party at this point. At a later point there MAY be limited public permissions. For now however you will need to ask the authors yourself. The mod Devs will not be reading these threads. They will not know you want permission unless you go ask them. The launcher will have the ability to launch custom packs but only if those packs have the requisite permissions.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
You will need to approach the developers to get the permissions. We cannot transfer permissions from the FTB Launcher to a third party at this point. At a later point there MAY be limited public permissions. For now however you will need to ask the authors yourself. The mod Devs will not be reading these threads. They will not know you want permission unless you go ask them. The launcher will have the ability to launch custom packs but only if those packs have the requisite permissions.
And how the hell will the launcher know if your custom pack that you added has permissions or not?

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
because we wont add it to the launcher until we validate the permissions, Oh and aggressive language like that aimed at a global moderator will not be tolerated. I suggest you calm down.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
because we wont add it to the launcher until we validate the permissions, Oh and aggressive language like that aimed at a global moderator will not be tolerated. I suggest you calm down.
Sorry slowpoke, anyways, does this forum have any global rules? I mean, I like to have a set of guidelines to follow.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
I think it would be neat (and very difficult) to add a youtube section to the launcher with sections for youtubers who apply with the most popular ones at the top (judged by video views) and maybe some sort of way to attach a texturepack or map etc. to a youtube video by putting something like Texturepack: [link] in the description. The map doesn't have to be limited to adventure maps it could be a lets play map like how direwolf uploaded his map every 10 episodes. Again, I know this would be very complex but I think it's a neat idea.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
because we wont add it to the launcher until we validate the permissions.

In this case, since you have access to the developers, would you help the third party authors by telling the devs about us? I'm not saying you should tell them our name. I'm saying something like this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slowpoke: "Hey Pahimar, there are going to be some people that will send you requests for permission to use your mod on the FTB Launcher... I would be grateful if you could reply to them until we make the permission system on our site"
Pahimar: "Sure thing Slow!"
Slowpoke: "You're awesome man! Thanks!"
Pahimar: "No worries!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke: "You're awesome man! Thanks!"
Pahimar: "No worries!"

LOL xD ! I see slow gooing into pahimar and gooing " say this ! " :p

Oke on topic. i think, i mean i am sure there will be more support for the 3th party mod packs damned. Just give them time to make there launcher do what they got planned now, and after they will be looking into this more and more.

FTB has amazing plans, they just need time to get it all done.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019

Oke on topic. i think, i mean i am sure there will be more support for the 3th party mod packs damned. Just give them time to make there launcher do what they got planned now, and after they will be looking into this more and more.

Remember that the launcher is beta.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
You are right, I'm to eager for this to happen and even though I have a LOT of work to do before I start recording, I like to eliminate as many worries as possible.

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Well you dont have to worrie. I can tell you now, FTB is in very good hands and they do take care of the community :)!

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
OK just to clarify the plan for this. What I want to do is create a centralized set of permissions and pre approved mods. This will be a list of mod that I have either been able to obtain general consent for all who wish to use the mod or the mod is free to distribute under the terms of the mods licence. I hope to have this organised sometime over the next week or 2.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
OK just to clarify the plan for this. What I want to do is create a centralized set of permissions and pre approved mods. This will be a list of mod that I have either been able to obtain general consent for all who wish to use the mod or the mod is free to distribute under the terms of the mods licence. I hope to have this organised sometime over the next week or 2.
Thanks Slowpoke!

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
This seems to be the right thread for this question.

I understand the whole tekkit vs modders which turns into a religious argument, and so I understand why FTB is taking the stance they are. In the longterm I know it is only going to make FTB better.

HOWEVER, What about "private" or "offline" modpacks? I think the launcher is the bomb, but I would like to use 1.4.5 and my own mods, also since it would be for my own use I don't need to go around asking 100 people for permissions to include their mod, and as stated in the forum overview it would pretty much be "FTB plus/minus a handful of mods" so not worthy of cluttering other peoples menus with.

I also understand if this is not doable, but could anyone point me in a direction for a launcher that can do this? I have been using mcpatcher for as long as I can remember but it is a real hassle to switch on the fly.

Thanks.