Pack updates and new packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly there is already a C2 version, but there's all sorts of reported issues with C1 and C2. Persoally I'd skip Optifine altogether until the issues are fully resolved.

ShireensPlay

Jul 29, 2019
Supposedly there is already a C2 version, but there's all sorts of reported issues with C1 and C2. Persoally I'd skip Optifine altogether until the issues are fully resolved.

C1 is messing up my world... Loads of lag, chunk errors and all sorts. I'm not using until it's fixed or they update Optifine

artdude543

Jul 29, 2019
Im using C3 of Optifine and I do see some lag, but it's not just Optifine with the problem if you read the changes Optifine C3 has been tested and working on Forge #518 and MindCrack/Direwolf20 is on Forge #515 and on the Optifine Minecraft Forum post it does say that is has issues from Forge #506 - #516. All that we can do is update the Forge and that should fix some block update issues. Or that FTB release a "patch" soon to fix the Forge Versions + NEI problems. I've manually updated my Forge on my Client/Server and all my issues are fixed.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
As a programmer professionally I wanted to explain a little the processes of "professional" software development in comparison to personal due to some of the moans present here :p ...

At my career (Engineering software) I write some code (1 hour)...then I write a QA form for my code module and test it thoroughly (10+++ hours if not more!!)...then I send the QA form to someone else, who goes over it and approves it as a double check. Mistakes are not an option!

For a mod on a video game, unless you are being paid and can devote 40+ hours a week to it, your much better spending 80% of your time adding loads of cool new features , and only doing a bit of testing..otherwise mods would be pretty bland compared to the awesomeness we have.

A FTB example with completely made up figures, minecraft and forge and mods update..the FTB team get to work to update the launcher and game files, and 10 hours of coding and sweating later (say 2 days later at 5 hours working time / day).. its working. Yaay they can now release the mod only 2 days after the last mod was updated! And the forums are going mental!! everyone wants to play it....there crying like crazed lunatics for a FTB update.

But wait... as per my professional example...to ensure its completely bug free, were gonna have to QA this for maybe 50 hours... thats 10 days later as long as they can work on it every day for 5 hours!! Were talking weeks after the mods update now and we might be able to release it, providing we find no issues... if there is an issue of course the QA process will have to be redone to ensure we haven't messed anything new up fixing the issue..this could drag on!

... but there is a better way!!!!!!!!

Give it a good test (another day!) and it seems to work...release it with a comment "Backup your worlds before update"... people are happy they can play the latest and greatest almost straight away! Nothing really serious will hopefully break, but if its something really really major does, at least everyone backed up and we can push out a fix almost immediately :) Most importantly, we have loads of new features that in most cases wont break anything <3

My question to the masses...do we really want a professional mod development process in minecraft?? These guys have jobs and stuff, and there time really is limited..! I for one prefer all the amazing features, and accept that a few bugs may sneak in now and then. Whats your opinion?

Tumm

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed when I first loaded up my world after the update (using Mindcrack v8.0.1) and one of my filters started to emit tons and tons of stacks of empty cells. Not sure how that happened. It was chaos as I tried to gather them all up.

Eclipsonaut

Jul 29, 2019
As a programmer professionally I wanted to explain a little the processes of "professional" software development in comparison to personal due to some of the moans present here :p ...

At my career (Engineering software) I write some code (1 hour)...then I write a QA form for my code module and test it thoroughly (10+++ hours if not more!!)...then I send the QA form to someone else, who goes over it and approves it as a double check. Mistakes are not an option!

You're absolutly right. No risk, no fun. This is the way to get the most fun in the shortest amount of time. And yes it takes also a good portion of sweat and tears if you stitch your own Modpack together and have to take care of all the updates and configs to keep your world running.
So in the case of the FTB-packs, all of you who are complaining (is that the right word?) please take a break, have fun with all the awsome stuff in the almost flawless running Modpacks.

And a big Thank you to all the developers and tester!

Shoeboxam

Jul 29, 2019
Just saw this, you know that in the launcher in the soartex texture pack you write "optifine is highly recommended".

Yes you do not have this mod by default, but ignoring optifine bugs and berating people to not use "other mods" on one side, but to "highly recommend" it in the launcher, is not the way to go. ;)

That's my fault, I wrote that description up. As a texture maker, I highly recommend it for the graphics improvements. Obviously FTB changes the install process, so I figured it was relevant information for my write-up.

I still highly recommend Optifine, but maybe I can improve the wording.

lman94

Jul 29, 2019
Ok Dw20 pack 5.0.1 is working with optifine c1 (Edit Optifine works but blocks won't update)

[DOUBLEPOST=1359418934][/DOUBLEPOST]I just found a bug I have a presureplate next to my door but wen I step on it it just makes the sound but the door stays closed can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm this, as well as it dose the same thing without optifine

lman94

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I have the same issue. I think It's a bug associated with Optifine C1. I also have that issue with buttons as well. Wooden doors will still work by regular right clicking, but for now it looks like you will have to replace iron and reinforced doors with wooden ones. Remember not to set off any explosions and expect your wooden doors to protect you in place of the reinforced doors.

Edit: Also, it appears that when you break blocks which occupy 2 spaces (Doors, Beds, etc.) one half of the block will remain in the world. If you break that bugged half it will disappear and you will still get your item back. Placing beds seems to cause only 1 half of the bed to show up. It still operates correctly however. Sleeping in the bed will cause the other half to reappear. I think it will also reappear if the block gets updated as well, but I haven't tested it.
I have the same problem, with or without optifine
Edit: and BTW, right clicking will cause a graphical update, causing blocks to re-appear, and fixing lighting bugs

VANtheSven

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is a bug with Optifine. It isn't compatible with the latest version of Forge

Not entirely true. It isn't compatible with the latest versions of FTB, which contain Forge #515 if I'm not mistaken. However Forge's latest update is #518, which is compatible with optifine. Updating both Forge and Optifine to the latest releases *should* fix the problems.

lman94

Jul 29, 2019
at this point in time, I am playing FTB, with the latest forge, with optifine. I have not had any problems

ShireensPlay

Jul 29, 2019
Not entirely true. It isn't compatible with the latest versions of FTB, which contain Forge #515 if I'm not mistaken. However Forge's latest update is #518, which is compatible with optifine. Updating both Forge and Optifine to the latest releases *should* fix the problems.

That's exactly what I said!

Also

How do you update forge? I've never used it

Status
Not open for further replies.