Pack updates and new packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceDave

Jul 29, 2019
Tip: if the server or your install loaded your map even once while the mods were not installed properly, it will wipe out all your modded blocks and you will have to restore from your backup afterward. It doesn't matter if you got it to work after that, your map is already altered. You must get it right the 1st time because if you load the map while a mod you used in that map isn't installed properly, your save is toast.

Happened to me yesterday when upgrading our server.

1. Did my backup (1st thing I always do in any upgrade).

2. Erased the mods, config and coremods folders (I don't use anything custom so I don't need to backup my configs, although I always backup just in case).

3. Upload new v8 config and coremods to server as well as the new ftbserver jar (notice something here?)

4. Start server with new v8 jar.

5. Bam, no mods, all mod blocks wiped from map, console has red everywhere.

6. ... Oh my ... I check what went wrong, and I forgot to upload the new v8 mods folder in step 3... ouch, my bad.

7. Upload the mods folder for v8 for real this time.

8. Replace my now dead save with my backup (yay for backups!)

9. Start the server again.

10. Everything works perfectly.

So, if you screwed anything before you started your map, your map is bunkers as when a map is loaded if there are unrecognized IDs they are removed from the map. (That can be useful to fix an item which crashes servers though, liker builders in v7 *coughs coughs*)

looks like i fixed it.. then i saw your post and your right.. i used the already stuffed up backup world.. i tried it with a map from one day before and it work's fine on my laptop (server & client) now i have to try to upload this world to my server (online) and get it right there.. thx for the help

Reactions: jamcart

Abe Thurtell

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my, lots of animosity here. I feel partly responsible since I was among those who posted about a bug in this thread. Let me just say:
  • I, for one, am not angry and never was. The fact that I lost some stuff is entirely on me for not making a backup. I just wanted to make sure the devs were aware that such a problem existed, and make it slightly less likely that others would make the same mistake I did.
  • If all the modded blocks in your world are gone: kill Minecraft before it has a chance to save over your world (probably only works for SSP), make a backup, and rename minecraftforge.zip to MinecraftForge.zip.
  • Those who have said this isn't the place for bug reports are correct. That said, I came here and found a quick solution to my problem. For all the shouting, a (partly) constructive conversation has taken place.
  • This is a game. You play it to have fun. If, for any reason, you find you aren't having fun, stop playing and go do something else. Do not get angry and start shouting on the Internet, because that benefits nobody.
  • Many thanks to the devs for their hard work on this mod pack and the countless hours of enjoyment I've gotten from playing it. Get that Donate button working!
That's all, have a nice day.

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately I only found about this after too late seeing direwolf20's video announcement.....

AS usual I done backup's but only to a point where as my current save had mined alot of resources (including finding 50 diamonds!)

Perhaps in future the dev's should include the backup of saves folder to avoid any loss.

I don't usually have issues when updating mods - but either v1.4.7 or/and twilight forest seems to screwed something up.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'd just like to say, I updated with no problems whatsoever. Seems my lappy can just about cope without OptiFine as well, and it seems to handle Alt-Tab in fullscreen better without it anyway. Thanks a lot FTB team!

DreamingSheep

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else running a modified config from the pack they're using?

I've changed several of my config files but seem to have Mystcraft and GregTech altering the files when I launch. Any have any idea why this is happening as it was okay on the earlier packs. I've had to change some configs for block ID's (which I've noticed means Mystcraft was changing the book ID's everytime I try to match them) and eased off the GregTech chaos to make it more like the Dire pack.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
When the developer of Optifine makes it work with the new Forge. Or, maybe "if" rather than "when". I don't know.

Optifine C2 is released and it seems it works fine with the newest forge version #518, but bad news is the FTB packs don't use the newest forge version so you have to manually update it.
But I suppose that is what you get by using modpacks, you have to manually update mods to get a stable and playable version of the game *sigh*

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else running a modified config from the pack they're using?

I've changed several of my config files but seem to have Mystcraft and GregTech altering the files when I launch. Any have any idea why this is happening as it was okay on the earlier packs. I've had to change some configs for block ID's (which I've noticed means Mystcraft was changing the book ID's everytime I try to match them) and eased off the GregTech chaos to make it more like the Dire pack.

Next time please open a thread/ticket on our support forum, this thread is not for support!
On your issue:
The launcher overwrites all files when you update the pack (or force update it). That is most probly why you have to change them again.

Reactions: Ashzification

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hm, this is odd, the version of Forge in Direwolf20 hasn't changed, it's still 515, and I had Optifine working before the recent update. I'll take a look at the backup of my old FTB installation prior to the update.
Ok... I'll have to wait. But I hope they don't take too long because I need Optifine for my FTB LP.
I was mistaken in the post that you replied to. Optifine works with the latest Forge, but Direwolf20 doesn't use the latest.

Giddimani

Jul 29, 2019
2nd: So you want us to use a version of Forge we know has one or two game breaking bugs just so people can use a mod we do not have by default?

Just saw this, you know that in the launcher in the soartex texture pack you write "optifine is highly recommended".

Yes you do not have this mod by default, but ignoring optifine bugs and berating people to not use "other mods" on one side, but to "highly recommend" it in the launcher, is not the way to go. ;)

Reactions: russjr08

ShireensPlay

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, this is odd, the version of Forge in Direwolf20 hasn't changed, it's still 515, and I had Optifine working before the recent update. I'll take a look at the backup of my old FTB installation prior to the update.

I was mistaken in the post that you replied to. Optifine works with the latest Forge, but Direwolf20 doesn't use the latest.

Oh.... Ok thanks

Hawcian

Jul 29, 2019
Just saw this, you know that in the launcher in the soartex texture pack you write "optifine is highly recommended".

Yes you do not have this mod by default, but ignoring optifine bugs and berating people to not use "other mods" on one side, but to "highly recommend" it in the launcher, is not the way to go. ;)

The texture pack descriptions are written by the texture pack designers. Neither the mod team or the launcher team have anything to do with that, as far as I know. And the guys doing the Soartex texture pack were more than likely unaware of the bugs when they submitted that description.

CaelThunderwing

Jul 29, 2019
for those w/ Optifine issues using the C1 preview for now works out of the box. and stops the crash on "Building terrain" in SSP. for Direwolf20

Creepers4563

Jul 29, 2019
Help, Every time i tried to join my last ssp world, it didn't work so i tried to re create it and it still doesn't work. But smp works. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.