Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I am not saying you shouldn't be worried, I am talking about people who have been acting like the sky is falling because of this.
Yeah, must admit I felt like one of 'those' people. But thanks to a large number of at-least-not-negative posts from people here, I have been successfully reeled back in!

Reactions: sqitchy

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I see visions of Minecraft Steve sitting behind bars with Banjo, Joanna Dark, and the remains of Conker, who killed himself way back in the 90's. Nintendo luckily stole Donkey Kong back, and James Bond escaped. He was supposed to come back to rescue the others, but was obviously distracted by hot women.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
did someone say they were bringing pie? :)

Anytime you make an assumption on something, it's based on past behavior. Given M$'s track record, it's not far fetched whatsoever to see this gloom and doom our somewhat pending future.

Waiting. And seeing what happens and quietly sitting around? That gives them the informal go ahead to do whatever the hell they want since, if they were gauging public response from day zero, they'd see a bunch of people sitting around. waiting and quietly sitting around, not arguing about what they will lose and inciting fervor in other people that will potentially cause them grief and bad PR down the line.

I'm not standing by and waiting. no way. I care too much about Minecraft to do that.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
did someone say they were bringing pie? :)

Anytime you make an assumption on something, it's based on past behavior. Given M$'s track record, it's not far fetched whatsoever to see this gloom and doom our somewhat pending future.

Waiting. And seeing what happens and quietly sitting around? That gives them the informal go ahead to do whatever the hell they want since, if they were gauging public response from day zero, they'd see a bunch of people sitting around. waiting and quietly sitting around, not arguing about what they will lose and inciting fervor in other people that will potentially cause them grief and bad PR down the line.

I'm not standing by and waiting. no way. I care too much about Minecraft to do that.

Crying out that the sky is falling and MS is evil on this forum is not letting MS know how you feel. Outrage on the MC forums might. But if you really want to do something, and let MS know how "the community" feels; then tell them how you feel. Not us, we get it. We all know bad things can happen. Some of us are prepared or preparing for the worst to happen. But running around the FTB forum(s) about it does nothing but harm moral and fractures the community.

Edit: I'm not saying don't do anything. I'm just suggesting that (especially after a week of this) doing that here isn't productive.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Personally I also feel that it is dangerous to talk too much about the negative things that could happen. Not that we should ignore that but with all those people crying out that 'Minecraft is dead', 'MS will sue us all', and so on I'm afraid that this will scare away new (and not-so-new) people from coming to this community, which (BTW) has *not* died yet!

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
So... if action at this stage is so vital. What should we be doing?
Woud Ms even notice a bunch of players fleeing a game when the majority of those players have not made a purchase in years?
Invigorating a look-alike might, but that'll likely not end well.
Other options include letter writting, protest in the streets, and firebombing.... At this stage at least I hardly see any of those being beneficial.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I personally feel that we should be/stay in contact with the current devs at Mojang. They now have the closest ties with Microsoft and are also likely to know best what the plans are going to be (or if they don't know it yet it is likely they will know in the future). I propose to do a diplomatic kind of talk with one or more of those devs. Voice our concerns in a polite manner and ask them how they see the future for modded Minecraft under the new regime.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Woud Ms even notice a bunch of players fleeing a game when the majority of those players have not made a purchase in years?
This is what is wrong with people mentality.

Do you really think Microsoft would spend 2.something billions on a company that makes no money since their players dont buy stuff in years?
Microsoft didnt bought Mojang for the number of copies of Minecraft it might sell in the future. Face the facts, Minecraft sold Millions of copies, the sell numbers will start going down soon or later.

They bought for the IP and the merchandise around it and.... oh boy.... that is making a LOT of money. They could just keep it as it his. They dont even need to improve with new content and or making it easier to be modded and it will be a cash cow the next few years only with merchandise.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
This is what is wrong with people mentality.

Do you really think Microsoft would spend 2.something billions on a company that makes no money since their players dont buy stuff in years?
Microsoft didnt bought Mojang for the number of copies of Minecraft it might sell in the future. Face the facts, Minecraft sold Millions of copies, the sell numbers will start going down soon or later.

They bought for the IP and the merchandise around it and.... oh boy.... that is making a LOT of money. They could just keep it as it his. They dont even need to improve with new content and or making it easier to be modded and it will be a cash cow the next few years only with merchandise.
How does that disprove my point? They will not care what the heavily modded community does. I cannot believe the FTB crowd is sleeping in creeper pajamas and hanging foam picks on our walls in great numbers.

For the vast majority of us the only money Mojang ever got out of us was our initial purchase. MS will be moving in and looking for people to sell stuff too, and I suspect they'll not be looking at the FTB crowd for those sales. They really won't care if we stop playing.[DOUBLEPOST=1411149410][/DOUBLEPOST]
I personally feel that we should be/stay in contact with the current devs at Mojang. They now have the closest ties with Microsoft and are also likely to know best what the plans are going to be (or if they don't know it yet it is likely they will know in the future). I propose to do a diplomatic kind of talk with one or more of those devs. Voice our concerns in a polite manner and ask them how they see the future for modded Minecraft under the new regime.
That sounds like a perfectly reasonble suggestion.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I'm just not keen on idling while the titanic slips into the icy water. that's all. I'm still running around thinking we could find enough duct tape to strap to the hull.

At the same time, maybe I don't have the connections, will power, money, ability to conduct rational change to the situation, but someone else, touched by my thoughts might be. Also, the minute you let the voice die down, no matter where it is, you help the people that are doing the deed, versus letting you stimulate further discussion and ensure the public eye isn't off the topic.

If Notch had sold Mojang either via staying on board to ensure it's course would be steered correctly or laying down some ground rules for the sale, or anything to that regard, everyone that has stated that people need to wait and see how it goes would be right in doing so. But, none of that happened. Notch escaped. Notch left zero ground rules for this takeover. Nothing. How am I to then stop being chicken little? He left Herobrine in charge of everything, so yeah. I'm very concerned.

At this point in the game, the best that can happen is that M$ leaves Minecraft alone. Possibly till it dies a death due to disuse and negligence. Only small updates / bugfixes are released. They milk the merch for as long as they can to drive xbone sales or whatever they do. The worst? Yeah, that remains to be seen.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
If they want to sell the merch, than we are exactly the PC community they want- one where each member is active for a long time and feels connected to the game. Modding can triple the time a player stays with minecraft.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
If they want to sell the merch, than we are exactly the PC community they want- one where each member is active for a long time and feels connected to the game. Modding can triple the time a player stays with minecraft.
I'm pretty sure it's more that tripled the amount of time I've thrown at the hungry node also referred to as Minecraft.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, in MS eyes, is minecraft the next minesweeper?
or are they looking for 8 year olds that still put together Christmas lists and beg parents for toys. I'm sure there is a segment of the modded community buying such stuff, but I'd wager that the vast majority of sales are to a very different crowd.

I wonder for instance how many of us own FTB tees? I for one would be far more likely to wear such a shirt, but I don't get the impression that such is a huge source of income. I have yet to see Steve wearing MPS show up in a lego kit...... if we where seen as a huge consumer base don't you think Lego/Mojang would have corrected that? As I understand the Eula they had the legal right.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
You would not have seen that. As (despite the scary wording of the EULA) Mojang has/had no legal rights to MPS.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
A long time ago, the money made via movies, was the actual ticket receipts from the box office. Then came 3 dollar popcorns and 4 dollar sodas and 2 dollar candy bars. The huge markup because of the captive audience made money so hand over fist it wasn't funny. That's about the time that execs wised up and realized that there was more than just making a product, advertise the hell out of it, sell it. So many other avenues to make money that dwarfs the original goal that it had to be pursued. The came tie-ins. Movies and games coming out alongside each other. One propping up the other to push more merch. toys, collectibles, etc...

So yeah. The merch here regarding MC does mean alot. But to prop up that merch, the base has to have good PR driving it, etc. What happens when bad PR happens? Kids don't want the steve lunchbox so much since all their friends heard MC sucks, etc.. loses popularity.

Thus, it behooves M$ or other corporations to do everything in their power to ensure positive light shines on the product(s) in question so that it stays popular. Does that happen? Not so much. A lot of times, they are interested in the first 3-6 months of sales and nothing more.

But, to spend 2.5 billion on a company doesn't sound like chump change to worry about the first year or so of merch. I don't think they are thinking short term. They are thinking long term merch, etc.. Thus, voices count. Positive wind going their way helps them. Negative wind tho? They can change mind, alter plans, direct change. hopefully for the better.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Are we gonna get a MC trading card game? Maybe a DnD version of MC

Sweet I rolled a 20. That means I break through 10 cobblestone and obtain 3 diamonds. I'd like to play my craft card and make a diamond pick!