Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
My only statement on this is simple: Lets not jump overboard until we know the ship is sinking. All we know is MS bought MC. That's it. Everything else is speculation right now.

Glad to get your opinion on this jaded and help people calm down :). P.S. I really like your voice and watching your streams :)

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
I highly doubt they will alienate this large part of the community. I do think that this will not be applied to minecraft videos and whatnot. Honestly.

From what I've read 70% of minecraft game sales are for console and mobile, making moddable minecraft the minority.

And heavily modded minecraft is just a small subset of that minority. So the modpack using community is just a small subset of the minecraft playerbase, no matter how much noise they make.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read 70% of minecraft game sales are for console and mobile, making moddable minecraft the minority.

And heavily modded minecraft is just a small subset of that minority. So the modpack using community is just a small subset of the minecraft playerbase, no matter how much noise they make.

I'm not talking about just modded minecraft. I am talking about all of minecraft. I myself am fairly sure that they will continue to let people monetize their videos on minecraft as that allows them to make a living off of it and it attracts new players to minecraft. I wasn't talking about just modded minecraft. However that could attract more people aswell.

jss2a98aj

Jul 29, 2019
I hope microsoft doesn't ban/get rid of modding, because all mod users and even most vanilla users depend on modding (vanilla users who play on bukkit or other modified servers. I think over 99% "vanilla" servers use plugins or mods of some sort)

Reactions: pc_assassin

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019

https://minecraft.net/stats

16 million PC/MAC users paid users.

For a game like this, is not a small feet.

Total is 54 million combined.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...es-nears-54-million-copies-sold/1100-6420724/

70% is tad high number.

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on another forum brought up one good thing about this.

Microsoft can make sure the Minecraft live-action movie will be well funded. :cool:

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
If they take away FTB I will honestly quit. It would be unwise judging on how detailed a Lets Play FTB mod pack video is. And the HUGE amount of people that watch some of them. If you take that away its an all around unwise choice. Your taking away from the players, people making a living off the videos, the entertainment value of Youtube, and the thrill of pack makers doing what they love. We also cant forget the people making a living off running a server, and the players who love the server they play on. What would be the reason to hurt all of that besides being a cold hateful company? I honestly don't think Microsoft is that evil. Just hope they make it better not worse, and now only time will tell.

Reactions: Ritt

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

Does nobody release this could be to our advantage? Since we are so tiny, they'll see no reason to purge us.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Does nobody release this could be to our advantage? Since we are so tiny, they'll see no reason to purge us.
For the moment I believe so. But if they introduce an official modding API (however powerful that might be), and if they're planning an app-store like "MC store" with skins, maps, mods, etc., they'll want all modding to go through that.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
For the moment I believe so. But if they introduce an official modding API (however powerful that might be), and if they're planning an app-store like "MC store" with skins, maps, mods, etc., they'll want all modding to go through that.
Even though they pretty much said "We're ignoring the PC version."?

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Basically they will want to make us the player pay more money to play modded Minecraft. Who knows, maybe it will open up better job opportunities for those who made FTB and the packs within it.