Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Just remember some live streamers make a living off this,
To some people this is a real life problem and not just a game but also something that's paying the bills.

!MYOPINION! :p
As I said on Twitter, Best thing to do is wait and see.. Who knows could be just like Amazon/Twitch are already. Jeb/Dinnerbones could just keep going with that they planned+more with more support be hide them now..

The future is unknown and the unknown scares a lot of people.
at least it's not nintendo that would shut down the streamers and youtubers

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I think the best thing to do is wait and see what happens. Sure Microsoft's past history might have been shady, but there is always a chance that they might not mess up something this big.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
When I first read this, I was quite frankly horrified. But really...Microsoft is not that bad. Until the last couple of months, I have used Xp and other windows products for all of my computing life. And really, I have seen some of the code of Minecraft....it is a disaster. Where oh where did they put 2k+ lines of code for the anvils? The gui classes. Hardcoded. Not good coding practice. Look on the bright side, maybe Microsoft will add some support for multithreading. Yes, Minecraft is single threaded. So, look on the bright side, maybe they will be good for Minecraft. Also, most games that I have seen lately have built in modding support. I.e. the modloader come with the game. Plop the mod file into the folder named "mods" and you are done. Microsoft would be stupid to not notice that people actually like modding their games, and also that modding increases the lifetime of a game. So who knows, we can all not worry and be happy!
you say "add support for multithreading" like it is easy, even if the code wasn't a quagmire it is not easy to multithread a largish application just for the multithreading

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
I don't exactly hate Microsoft, but I'm not too captivated by the idea of them buying MC either. I doubt this will have a major impact on vanilla MC, but other areas will probably get hit, particularly the modding community. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions however, I'm just going to wait this out and see how it unfolds over the course of a few months. For all we know, Microsoft could completely turn this around and surprise us. Only time will tell...

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that they are more focused for the XBL edition leaves me hope they might not touch the PC version much.

Now, everyone take a deepbreath and look up! The sky is not falling, it's just the dawn of a new day, just wait and see what happens. Details from MS about its policy towards modding and youtubers/streams should start filtering down fairly quick. You do not spend $2.5B on a franchise and not have a plan.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah...
9387375cd6.png

Reactions: Ritt

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I think the best thing to do is wait and see what happens. Sure Microsoft's past history might have been shady, but there is always a chance that they might not mess up something this big.

I really like how you put that... "there is always a chance they might not mess up something this big". Man, that is just a perfect analysis, and no I am not being sarcastic in the least! I LOL'ed, but those words perfectly describe the uncertainty of all of this right now.

"There's always a chance..." for just about anything in our crazy, mixed up world. :D

Reactions: Ritt

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I highly doubt they will alienate this large part of the community. I do think that this will not be applied to minecraft videos and whatnot. Honestly.
What do they care? We've already bought minecraft. The only way to make more money off of us is to make minecraft Pay-to-play or make us pay for updates. Most of us would probably leave the second they implemented that anyway.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
What do they care? We've already bought minecraft. The only way to make more money off of us is to make minecraft Pay-to-play or make us pay for updates. Most of us would probably leave the second they implemented that anyway.
don't forget that several people got lifetime updates when they bought the game back when that was a thing

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I highly doubt they will alienate this large part of the community. I do think that this will not be applied to minecraft videos and whatnot. Honestly.

Never underestimate the power of unchecked corporate greed in our world. NEVER.

IMO obv. Long live the indie/open source folks who "get it"!

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Never underestimate the power of unchecked corporate greed in our world. NEVER.

IMO obv. Long live the indie/open source folks who "get it"!

Definitely not underestimating them. I am just saying that it would not make sense in any way to alienate that large part of a community as they make videos which people will watch which will attract more people and cause more purchases. It's like free advertising for them. Not only that but it's a new CEO if he screws this up its going to look bad. 2.5 billion no matter what even for microsoft is not pocket change. I believe they will attempt to do good.