Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019
doesn't matter; the vanilla hopper appeared after the buildcraft hopper (with some obvious parallels) and no grief came of that besides some grumbling
That's because the modders are usually young people without the backup financially or the awareness of rights, to do anything about it. Microsoft would successfully bully all of you into backing down.[DOUBLEPOST=1410443114][/DOUBLEPOST]
"This just in. Microsoft has merged with EA."
WHAT??
oh no[DOUBLEPOST=1410443204][/DOUBLEPOST]
authserver.mojang.com
I repeat, this is not about playing; it's about modding. Nothing to lose for players really, except your freedom to use free mods and plugins, and probably too your ability to set up your own servers away from Realms. Oh, and the costs...
And then there's the ever-changing brilliant ideas of the FTB and Tekkit people etc etc; you'll lose all that.

Reactions: Wagon153

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Kezza I agree there are many things to be concerned about. However, what I cant understand is your belief Microsoft would spend 2 billion dollars to destroy the very thing that makes minecraft great, the mods. I dont think for a second Microsoft would ever come up with a game like minecraft. However, now that its hear they cant deny the money and success of minecraft and they want apart of it. I also think notch is tired of minecraft drama and might want out. (cant blame him honestly we all act like spoiled little children) So what does this boil down to? Microsoft sees a way to make more then 2 billion off of minecraft. That does not happen when you rip it apart. Now I have hated different versions of windows for years as well, however they have made some really good games. Freelancer, Rise of nations and Halo etc. Those were really good games. Lets see how this plays out before we freak out and rip our dicks off. And don't panic! :)

Reactions: Wagon153

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Kezza I agree there are many things to be concerned about. However, what I cant understand is your belief Microsoft would spend 2 billion dollars to destroy the very thing that makes minecraft great, the mods. I dont think for a second Microsoft would ever come up with a game like minecraft. However, now that its hear they cant deny the money and success of minecraft and they want apart of it. I also think notch is tired of minecraft drama and might want out. (cant blame him honestly we all act like spoiled little children) So what does this boil down to? Microsoft sees a way to make more then 2 billion off of minecraft. That does not happen when you rip it apart. Now I have hated different versions of windows for years as well, however they have made some really good games. Freelancer, Rise of nations and Halo etc. Those were really good games. Lets see how this plays out before we freak out and rip our dicks off. And don't panic! :)
you assume Notch is still working/caring about minecraft

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Also this
10343026_698025026951515_4681871681755298780_n.png

Am I the only one that noticed that this picture was taken on a mac and then had a Microsoft "feature" put on it?

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

The problem is that giant corporations are driven only by their need to pay out to shareholders. That is their only true obligation and if the shareholders say start charging for DLC, that is what will happen.

I also can imagine MS lawyers have already worked out how to make sure all existing users will have to open MS accounts in order to continue playing - so that they can track you and start trying to sell you shit you don't want. I've spent my whole online life *not* signing up for supposedly-free stuff from companies like MS, Apple, Google, Facebook etc for exactly this reason. In contrast, I was never worried about having to log in to my account with Mojang because they never tried to sell me anything.

I just find the whole situation immensely depressing, especially as Notch and Mojang have *always* held themselves up as against these big corporations.

I'd love to think otherwise but my experience tells me that MS will squeeze the Minecraft community until the pips squeak. :(

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I wonder now if the whole Bukkit fiasco was caused by someone finding out about this before we did...

In the article linked previously about a 'best case scenario', it's about as likely as Space Faeries showing up and giving us a functioning FTL drive.

1) Microsoft clearly understanding the dynamics for Minecraft’s success as outlined above, and not tampering with them.
And what in Microsoft's business model indicates that this is even remotely true?

2) Microsoft finding a way to keep Notch happy and contributing in a corporate environment.
Even the most optimistic tea-leaf readers are saying Notch is just going to stay on in a transitional period and is gone in six months.

3) Microsoft developing a reasonable plan to capture a portion of the revenue generated by the dozens of business that orbit around Minecraft’s success, without ruining those business's ability to grow and thrive.
Again, what in Microsoft's business model indicates that they're able to do this?

Modders can expect to have their IP yoinked and exploited. BC? Taken over by a Microsoft team, then used as DLC. Wanna play with Buildcraft? That'll be $0.99 please. Thaumcraft 4? Oh, that's an extra $2. AE2? That's $2, or $5 for the version that removes channels (because we heard it was too hard and so we made a version that will sell more that goes back to AE's channel-less situation). Or, you can pay $25 and buy the 'Feed The 'Soft' bundle pack, with HUGE savings!

I'm making a simple statement: if this deal goes through, I'm done. It doesn't matter how good or bad microsoft is at managing minecraft. It doesn't matter if they ruin it or make it the best thing evar. I don't care if they actually fix the code and make it work smoothly. I don't care if they run it into the ground with microtransaction spam. All of that is irrelevant to me. I will not contribute to a microsoft project ever again.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just find the whole situation immensely depressing, especially as Notch and Mojang have *always* held themselves up as against these big corporations.

I'd love to think otherwise but my experience tells me that MS will squeeze the Minecraft community until the pips squeak. :(

Amen, brother. As far as I'm concerned this thread is over and done right here with these few sentences. Good luck community... if this sad, sorry, weird rumor is actually truth... it was a good ride and we sure had a lot of fun while it lasted, but there will be 2 billion reasons to leave it all behind.

I wonder now if the whole Bukkit fiasco was caused by someone finding out about this before we did...

I don't think there's much to wonder about, I think it is no coincidence at all. Lawyers get involved when there are big deals in the works, it's called "due diligence".

Reactions: pc_assassin

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019
I understand the need for players to feel positive; and how they can manage to do it. Because of course, players will feel little sting from this.
Again I repeat, over and over, my concern is for this very community for one, as with Spigot and Technic and Bukkit; all of THAT will end. You do not understand corporations, sorry to say; but I do, at the ripe old age of 52. This 2 billion is a drop in the MS bucket; and according to financial reviews, they are well planned to recoup it, by upgrading the Xbox versions and downgrading the PC ones, so that there is little left of the PC market to compete. They know what they need to do to turn a really great profit from Minecraft, they are good at that. And what does that of course mean? That you players are going to be providing that profit. Do not look for free mods in future; they will not exist. If you don't care about the modding community, fine, no problem for you. But I'm not writing about that. Because I care. It's been the most astonishing, the most sharing, the most creative event I've ever seen in all my long years. And Notch used to pretend to care about it. He's not even staying in the company after the takeover; it's been planned, too, for months. He's not who you think. He never was. But the voluntary developers, they are![DOUBLEPOST=1410447833][/DOUBLEPOST]
Amen, brother. As far as I'm concerned this thread is over and done right here with these few sentences. Good luck community... if this sad, sorry, weird rumor is actually truth... it was a good ride and we sure had a lot of fun while it lasted, but there will be 2 billion reasons to leave it all behind.

I don't think there's much to wonder about, I think it is no coincidence at all. Lawyers get involved when there are big deals in the works, it's called "due diligence".
Why give up on this community guys? Why not use it to create a new game? It's not over yet! You still have ideas, don't you?

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, why would notch, who's already a multi-millionaire, be that tempted to give up his values for microsoft's money? He's not an everyman being offered ludicrous amounts of money- unless he has some secret alter-life of extreme luxury and control, he has basically as much money as he could ever spend, not the mention that it was always possible to monetize minecraft to a far greater degree.

If he considers Mojang managing a burden, it's certainly not in any real danger of going into financial problems if he takes six months to re-arrange management and leaves.

If he consider minecraft a source of terrible internet fame and unwanted legions of fans and haters, it's way too late and he'll never hear the end of it in his lifetime.

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019

In the article linked previously about a 'best case scenario', it's about as likely as Space Faeries showing up and giving us a functioning FTL drive.

And what in Microsoft's business model indicates that this is even remotely true?

Even the most optimistic tea-leaf readers are saying Notch is just going to stay on in a transitional period and is gone in six months.

Again, what in Microsoft's business model indicates that they're able to do this?

Modders can expect to have their IP yoinked and exploited. BC? Taken over by a Microsoft team, then used as DLC. Wanna play with Buildcraft? That'll be $0.99 please. Thaumcraft 4? Oh, that's an extra $2. AE2? That's $2, or $5 for the version that removes channels (because we heard it was too hard and so we made a version that will sell more that goes back to AE's channel-less situation). Or, you can pay $25 and buy the 'Feed The 'Soft' bundle pack, with HUGE savings!

I'm making a simple statement: if this deal goes through, I'm done. It doesn't matter how good or bad microsoft is at managing minecraft. It doesn't matter if they ruin it or make it the best thing evar. I don't care if they actually fix the code and make it work smoothly. I don't care if they run it into the ground with microtransaction spam. All of that is irrelevant to me. I will not contribute to a microsoft project ever again.
NO NO NO NO!! Modders can SUE FOR THAT!
Mojang never paid them! The part of the plugin/mod that was their contribution BELONGS TO THE MODDER! Please, won't you young people find out the facts about copyright? Don't just cave in! Microsoft cannot bend the law, no matter how much it pays. Those mods were published publicly; proof of creation prior to Microsoft's projects is clear evidence, easy to produce! Nobody can take those mod ideas off you! The component that was derived from Minecraft is the only part you do not own; the rest, Microsoft cannot touch! The modders are free to use any of the mod ideas to create their own entire game, and let's face it, it would be a darn sight more exciting game if they did, than Minecraft ever was!
Get onto it guys! I won't give this up till I get somebody to take up the baton; I'm not a developer, but for those who are, get busy! I'll contribute any artwork you want for free, and I'm a brilliant digital artist. This is worthwhile!

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
As bad as I see this panning out for Minecraft, I don't get the anguish. I have played a lot of awesome games before minecraft and eventually gotten bored of all of them. Regardless of Microsofts potential mismanagement there is the risk every day that this is the day I start to feel a little less like logging in.

So, I will continue to play Minecraft for as long as it remains interesting. Until it doesn't. Which may or may not have something to do with Microsoft but thats, one way or another, a worry for another day.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

There is no reason at all to leave it behind. Just the opposite. *if* the worst happens (and that's not confirmed yet) and the modding community as we know it right now dies then we still have this (strong!) community and there are many options we can consider. Either we can choose to build further on the Minecraft versions that we already have (up to and including 1.8) or else we can even decide to go a totally new route. There are plenty of options open.

And again, this is only needed *if* worst should happen. And it is not even certain that MS buying Minecraft would cause any problem at all.

Kezza

Jul 29, 2019
It's not about you playing. I don't think any of us got onto this thread to complain about whether or not you can enjoy playing Minecraft after the takeover; so funnily enough, your reply does not make me feel any better.
This is about THIS, which you are on, which will not be there. These people, who work so hard and are so clever and creative, who have put so much in and will be just used up and tossed away. I feel a need to stop that happening. Are you not at all grateful, any of you reading this, for all the brilliant mods you've enjoyed over these years? Well, I am![DOUBLEPOST=1410448585][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is no reason at all to leave it behind. Just the opposite. *if* the worst happens (and that's not confirmed yet) and the modding community as we know it right now dies then we still have this (strong!) community and there are many options we can consider. Either we can choose to build further on the Minecraft versions that we already have (up to and including 1.8) or else we can even decide to go a totally new route. There are plenty of options open.

And again, this is only needed *if* worst should happen. And it is not even certain that MS buying Minecraft would cause any problem at all.
How can you build on it without mods? And are you aware that Microsoft is already planning to downgrade PC versions of Minecraft to push the Xbox one, and make it superior? And why would they do that, do you think? Try $$ per modification and $$ per update, for one thing...[DOUBLEPOST=1410448676][/DOUBLEPOST]
"This just in. Microsoft has merged with EA."
Seriously, is this true? Can this possibly get any worse??
No.

Reactions: Pickety

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I just hope they won't merge the mojang account to their own type. I'm still mad that my phone can't properly work if I'm not connected to a service I've never agreed to have anyway just because I've made an e-mail account a few years back, and even then it is forced into a social network design I'm uncomfortable with. I hope Microsoft wont use this to make one too.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
How can you build on it without mods?
Why wouldn't we be able to continue modding our 1.6.4/1.7.10/1.8 versions? We already have those versions of Minecraft. They will stay working.
And are you aware that Microsoft is already planning to downgrade PC versions of Minecraft to push the Xbox one, and make it superior?

Do you have a (credible) source for this? Given that the buyout isn't even confirmed I doubt this.

Reactions: MisterControversy

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
And are you aware that Microsoft is already planning to downgrade PC versions of Minecraft to push the Xbox one, and make it superior? And why would they do that, do you think? Try $$ per modification and $$ per update, for one thing....
where does that certainty come from?
as long as there hasn't been anything confirmed, i'd advice to make any statement.

but what if they do? what is there in minecraft to downgrade? it's certainly no graphics...
even if they do start downgrading it will cause an uproar. if they start cutting content it will again result in uproar.
the least damaging way for MS to make xbone version better is to kill modding and push more improvements on xbone version than PC.

the only thing i wont from MS if they purchase Mojang, is a crossplatform support, where i could dominate gamepad users in pvp *insert evil laugh here*