Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yup. I am suspecting monthly subs. For like, 20 bucks a month. 50 million accounts, 20 bucks a month... 1 billion dollars. Lets assume that just a tenth of all minecraft players decide to stay. Thats still 100 million a month. They will recoup in 20 months. Lets do a more likely result of 50 percent (probably gonna be higher, like 75 percent but, meh) of the people staying and paying the fee. Thats STILL 500 million. They will recoup in 4 months. Then, because of microsoft's fans, more and more people are gonna pay the subscription, because its all "Microsoftified". I shudder at the very thought of this happening.[DOUBLEPOST=1410339789][/DOUBLEPOST]
Done: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/2-billion-reasons-mojang-should-sell-to-microsoft.50813/
and Done: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/2-billion-reasons-mojang-shouldnt-sell-to-microsoft.50812/

Oh, also: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/microsofts-minecraft-future.50815/

Subs of any kind only work when you provide on-line access of some variety, not for stand-alone software. As an example, I'm now subscribed to "Office 365 Pro". The reason? for $99/year I get to run it on 5 systems and get any updates and/or new versions automatically. If I had to buy the "off the shelf" version, Office 2013, it would cost over $300 per system I want to run it on and I'd have to buy the next version when it came out.
Give me a good cross-platform programming language we can easily decompile

If a real API was written would you need to decompile? I don't recall having these issues with Doom/Quake or the Unreal series, of which the new version is a Public Domain project now, you just subscribe to the developer environment to participate.

Last edited:

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
If a real API was written would you need to decompile? I don't recall having these issues with Doom/Quake or the Unreal series, of which the new version is a Public Domain project now, you just subscribe to the developer environment to participate.

And say what you will, Microsoft is excellent at providing access to their development tools/environment/support.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to work. I'm just gonna leave this here.

waiting...
lIXsMvU.jpg

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not gonna search 10 pages to see if anyone else thought of this but:

Think of this. "Free mobile Minecraft for every purchase of a Windows phone" sound like a good tagline, huh? I don't see them trying to change the PC, or even other version of the game, and rake in the dough...

MS's new focus is the mobile market, and Mojang wouldn't make a version for the windows phone. Now MS can get one.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not gonna search 10 pages to see if anyone else thought of this but:

Think of this. "Free mobile Minecraft for every purchase of a Windows phone" sound like a good tagline, huh? I don't see them trying to change the PC, or even other version of the game, and rake in the dough...

MS's new focus is the mobile market, and Mojang wouldn't make a version for the windows phone. Now MS can get one.
I did but you're forgiven.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
What scares me the most is that buying them for $2B means they expect a profit out of it in the end.
Of course they expect a profit in the end. They are a corporation.

I was talking with a couple people and apparently it would take Mojang 20 years to get that kind of money.
Who are these people and where did you get this figure? In 5 years, Mojang has made roughly a billion USD across all platforms on Minecraft sales alone; not including merchandise, Minecon profits and obviously the upcoming Cobalt/Scrolls .

Last edited:

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
Why do so many people in this thread call Mojang a bad company? They are fantastic as far as I am concerned.

Guys ...

Swedish news SVT just confirmed on live TV that Mojang will be sold to Microsoft. The reporter claims to have a reliable source inside Mojang. The reporter claiming to have this info is Thomas Arnroth. He is the author of http://www.amazon.com/Year-Minecraft-Behind-Scenes-Mojang/dp/1770412190

(Source)

Link Fixed

It has already been confirmed by a twitter post if I am not mistaken that he will not sell.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Why do so many people in this thread call Mojang a bad company? They are fantastic as far as I am concerned.

It has already been confirmed by a twitter post if I am not mistaken that he will not sell.
Yeah. How many other companies do you know that sells a game once? They don't charge for updates. They allow and even help people deobfuscate their code(Searge anybody?). They are active within the community. Almost all of them have twitter accounts that they use and respond to average users with(AND THEY AREN'T ROBOTS.)

MisterControversy

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. How many other companies do you know that sells a game once? They don't charge for updates. They allow and even help people deobfuscate their code(Searge anybody?). They are active within the community. Almost all of them have twitter accounts that they use and respond to average users with(AND THEY AREN'T ROBOTS.)
I like Mojang. I just dislike Mojang for selling MC to Microsoft.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they're a bad company but I think maintaining and updating their game has gone beyond them.

I think they've made some bad decisions. I think they should be working with the modding community and they're borderline working against it. I think at least some of them just don't care anymore.

I think it's time for Minecraft to pass from them. Full props for everything they have done so far, but it's become something they can't entirely live up to anymore.

Reactions: Museli and YX33A

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they're a bad company but I think maintaining and updating their game has gone beyond them.

I think they've made some bad decisions. I think they should be working with the modding community and they're borderline working against it. I think at least some of them just don't care anymore.

I think it's time for Minecraft to pass from them. Full props for everything they have done so far, but it's become something they can't entirely live up to anymore.
How the hell are they working against them? And what are these bad decisions? Unless you can give me proof I am not going to believe anything anyone says on this matter.

Reactions: unknown zombie

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Who are these people and where did you get this figure? In 5 years, Mojang has made roughly a billion USD across all platforms on Minecraft sales alone; not including merchandise, Minecon profits and obviously the upcoming Cobalt/Scrolls .
sales != profit

1 billion in sales, I'll buy that. in profit...? citation needed.

edit: quote borked, I'm at work and can't fix :/

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019

Do you have a link to that twitter post where it says he will not sell?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
How the hell are they working against them? And what are these bad decisions? Unless you can give me proof I am not going to believe anything anyone says on this matter.
I'm just offering my opinion; those are very hard to offer object proof of. I could explain everything that's led me to that conclusion but we'd be here all day.

Here's the short version, though:

1. Modding is keeping this game alive and Mojang has failed to push a proper API or work with the community to create one.

2. Mojang takes months to release a single update with less content than a single mod, and still touts their updates as an amazing addition with tons of hard work involved; plenty of modders would be happy to help them add to the vanilla game but again, they refuse to tap that resource with the almost sole exception of adding horses.

3. Often enough they act inflammatory toward their community or retreat behind stuffiness.

In my opinion these along with several other factors (like sloppy code that impacts performance and stability) add up to dropping the ball. That's just my feelings on the matter; you're free to disregard them.

Reactions: YX33A

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Microsoft has no credibility as far as i'm concerned when it comes to not ruining things. Especially when those things are driven by microsoft's desire to enlarge their phone market.

Because, you know, Win8...