Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
It's already being done and it's called Terasology. It's not Minecraft yet, but...
Same goes for minetest.

The problem with all those is that Microsoft very probably will not have the same open stance on Minecraft clones that Notch/Mojang had, and that Microsoft can very probably find something to sue in all of those. Even if they don't, they can just send out a cease & desist and which open community based game has the resources to fight a legal battle...

It's not a problem as long as they're small and unnoticed, but if any acquires a significant player base - bam, C&D.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, guys! Calm down! This is all a misunderstanding! Steve Ballmer just wanted to try out playing Minecraft and told his secretary to go "buy Minecraft", and an nearby journalist with an overactive imagination happened to hear the wrong half of that sentence...

:p

In all seriousness though, I don't get the random flailing. Nothing has happened to Minecraft. If Microsoft does buy Mojang? Still nothing happened to Minecraft. It's only when Microsoft actually makes a policy change that does affect Minecraft, THEN it's justified to run screaming in circles.

There's nothing more facepalm-worthy than reading "I am leaving the Minecraft community because I'm imagining a hypothetical scenario in my head!". There's plenty of good reasons to move on to other games, but that is not one of them. Seriously, Minecraft community. Can you discuss anything at all in a mature manner, without devolving into excessive, self-generated drama? :confused:

This'll be my one and only comment on this rumor. I'll unwatch this thread and sit back and see how it plays out. See you on the other side of the rumored announcement window...

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
The fact alone that Microsoft certainly won't wait 20 years for the $2bn to amortize means that something has to change.

In the best scenario it's just a lot more hype and merchandise around the game. In the worst... well, that has been discussed :)

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Kids gotta realize, a business' sole purpose is profit. Of course they expect a payout. If you think a company is immoral/evil/greedy/customer-unaware for approaching a buyout with hopes of making profit, you're delusional and naive. That doesn't mean they don't care about the consumer's needs or demands (actually quite the opposite).
I love this claim. "Businessess are in it only for the profit, so if they do something only for profit, they can't be greedy/evil/immoral!" It's not even circular logic, it's just... no logic at all.

You know, if someone's into something only for the sake of maximizing profit, it's a sign (though not proof) of greediness, not proof they are _not_ greedy.

Also, yes, it does mean they don't _care_ about consumer needs or demands, it means they care about maximizing profit, and meeting demands can be a way to gain profit sometimes, when that's the most tactical option.
Just because the Saudi-Arabian government sometimes pardons political dissidents to appear nice to the UN doesn't mean they actually _care_ about the lives of the political dissidents - they just take the most tactically appropriate action, which happens to have a saved life as a byprodut.

Companies, at least larger ones, are by and large amoral - morality is simply not an interest for them. Profit is, and when it's tactically acceptable to act in an immoral or outright evil fashion they will do it. When it's more optimal to look nice and good, they do so.

Saying "they want profit so they're not greedy" is silly apologetica and newspeak.

Reactions: Tylor and RJS

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
In all seriousness though, I don't get the random flailing. Nothing has happened to Minecraft. If Microsoft does buy Mojang? Still nothing happened to Minecraft. It's only when Microsoft actually makes a policy change that does affect Minecraft, THEN it's justified to run screaming in circles.

The maths of the situation is concerning.
According to articles, Mojang has sold "more than 50 million" Minecraft accounts. If ~50 million is accurate, at $2b, this means that Microsoft would be buying out our accounts at $40 each - more than we paid for Minecraft. So, to recoup their costs using existing Players involves making us worth another $40 - micropayments?

Alternatively, Minecraft made Mojang $100 million last year. A lot. But, compared to $2bil - Microsoft would have to wait 20 years for that investment to pay off.

So. what. the. eff.

Whatever they do, unless this is not at all about making money, they are going to mess with the formula we all know and love.

Reactions: Golrith and null123

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
First off: If they required monthly subs, wouldn't they be required to give a refund to us if we don't want to pay that? I mean, I've paid for my account to be able to pay minecraft, and if they after that increase the price, I shouldn't be forced to pay what is essentially retroactively for my product.

The maths of the situation is concerning.
According to articles, Mojang has sold "more than 50 million" Minecraft accounts.
Again, note that buying mojang - rather than minecraft - means that there's plenty of "extra value". Mojang already has two other games on the way, and the deal may include other things as well.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, its microsoft, they would find some way to worm out of it.
They might, but it seems very much of a gray legal area - if I buy a year card at the local gym, and they after 5 months say "hey, from now on we're going to take 10 bucks per visit even though you have a year card", that's clearly not a valid claim.

I think what they might do, to not have to go through the whole legal business, is simply releasing all new content as DLC's and prevent modding.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be hard for them to limit playing on pre-microsoft versions. AFAIK there are already ways to bypass the login, so I think we can be safe in that one way or another we will be able to play and mod for up to 1.8 at least.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
It'd be hard for them to limit playing on pre-microsoft versions. AFAIK there are already ways to bypass the login, so I think we can be safe in that one way or another we will be able to play and mod for up to 1.8 at least.

It sure would be possible (and in fact it is not even hard) but still would be rather bad that we would have to do something like that and I'm not sure it would work for server play.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
It sure would be possible (and in fact it is not even hard) but still would be rather bad that we would have to do something like that and I'm not sure it would work for server play.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, this is really bad. But at least we don't have to abandon all hope just yet :)

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Yeah... even if it does happen, I hope it wont be finalised until 2.0

Reactions: abobabo

tgame14

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, guys! Calm down! This is all a misunderstanding! Steve Ballmer just wanted to try out playing Minecraft and told his secretary to go "buy Minecraft", and an nearby journalist with an overactive imagination happened to hear the wrong half of that sentence...

:p

There's nothing more facepalm-worthy than reading "I am leaving the Minecraft community because I'm imagining a hypothetical scenario in my head!". There's plenty of good reasons to move on to other games, but that is not one of them. Seriously, Minecraft community. Can you discuss anything at all in a mature manner, without devolving into excessive, self-generated drama? :confused:

This'll be my one and only comment on this rumor. I'll unwatch this thread and sit back and see how it plays out. See you on the other side of the rumored announcement window...

I Personally can't see how Microsoft will allow mojang to keep its current work-system, you really think PS4 will get the same updates as XBox1 ? that PC will be the leading platform and not their very own XBox1 ?

I can bring numbers showing microsoft are falling behind, and that they need a big push on the home console end. i probably will sometime soon. point is priorities will change. and why stick if thats going to be a thing? there are different things to try and explore :).

Reactions: abobabo

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between showing outrage over this now, and a year down the line if microsoft has acquired minecraft and is making sweeping changes, is that Mojang is more likely to care about our outrage than microsoft.

If writing about it is ever going to make a difference, it's now. When microsoft is already in power it's too late.

Reactions: tgame14

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
[Image removed; A number of folks find this triggering.]

In all seriousness a large part of me is sad because microsoft could very well fuck up one of my favorite games.

For once in the minecraft community I would like to not have to put up with "Drama" and all of this crap. I come here to enjoy the game and relax, not constantly worry about the future of it and see all of this. When will it all end?

Last edited by a moderator: