Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MegaRaja54321

Jul 29, 2019
I have 10 questions maybe you guys can answer and maybe think about.

1. Will we have to rebuy minecraft? (Will it move to origin?)
2. Will mods go away?
3. Could this be the birth of minecraft 2.0?
4. As most things from microsoft are codded in C++ can we expect Version 2.0 to be coded in C++?
5. WIll Jeb, Notch. and the other guys still be involved in minecraft?
6. If minecraft was recoded in C++ that would mean the end of mods right?
7. Am i dumb for asking these question?
8. Do u like waffels?
9. Seriously do you?
10. Can you think of a few more questions to ask?

C

chbachman

2. Will mods go away?
4. As most things from microsoft are codded in C++ can we expect Version 2.0 to be coded in C++?
8. Do u like waffels?
9. Seriously do you?

1. idk
2. idk
3. idk
4. idk
5. idk
6. unless an api was created, yes.
7. no
8. yes
9. yes
10. no

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Theoretically, they would be able to say we can't mod the older versions of MC anymore. They wouldn't be able to do anything about modding that happened *prior* to the acquisition. But what happens after the acquisition and revision of the EULA, I'd say it's anyone's guess. Furthermore, mods written for minecraft may be available for MS to incorporate to the game (however much of a legal mess that would be).

<-is not a legal expert. just my best guess.
From a legal perspective, they'd crush anyone they wanted. Period.

But it would be a PR crapstorm of epic proportions. I really doubt Microsoft really wants Mojang. Just from a business perspective, Microsoft barely wants to deal with its own XBox platform. They're still suffereing from the "evil kinect spying" and the false need for being always connected to the net fiascos.

I will say this, I'd gladly pay Mojang for 1.9. I paid more for the DLC of GTA IV than I did for Minecraft and 2 years later I'm still enjoying the game. I enjoyed that DLC for about a month and haven't touched it other than to box it up when I moved. I'd give Mojang money for the next update in the hopes that they'd use the money to hire more people and fix the persistent bugs in the game. I'd throw money at them for a proper API that let mods more easily stay current with vanilla versions. I'd pay more just because I honestly feel like I stole this game. Did I even pay $20 for it?

Last edited:

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
If the sale does happen:

1. Our original MC Licenses *should* remain valid. Though you can probably count on MS tracking it tightly.
2. Absolutely no way to know at this time.
3. Possibly. But it would most likely be in the form of a conversion to another programming language.
4. see '3'
5. From his behavior, I would guess not. Hell, with the money that'd be coming his way he wouldn't need to.
6. The end of mods would be more determined by what MS would allow.
7. Not dumb, but I do think we're getting too worked up (i don't know why i'm still in this thread)
8. I need them now.
9. Why don't I have the waffles you've clearly promised me?
10. Quack?

MegaRaja54321

Jul 29, 2019
If the sale does happen:

1. Our original MC Licenses *should* remain valid. Though you can probably count on MS tracking it tightly.
2. Absolutely no way to know at this time.
3. Possibly. But it would most likely be in the form of a conversion to another programming language.
4. see '3'
5. From his behavior, I would guess not. Hell, with the money that'd be coming his way he wouldn't need to.
6. The end of mods would be more determined by what MS would allow.
7. Not dumb, but I do think we're getting too worked up (i don't know why i'm still in this thread)
8. I need them now.
9. Why don't I have the waffles you've clearly promised me?
10. Quack?
Yes Quack

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019

2. Will mods go away?
8. Do u like waffels?
9. Seriously do you?
Just a preface of what I've gathered:
We aren't even sure this is even going to happen. Like I've heard elsewhere, this sounds like some trolly wall street gang decided to have some fun, but as neither parties are commenting at all (makes it sounds believable to me, business secrecy isn't new, it happens in the sports world very often), nobody is really sure where we stand.

Anyway, one question:
Is the fact that Microsoft is offering on Mojang rather than Minecraft significant? It's a tad optimistic, but could Microsoft be interested in another game (Mojang != Minecraft iirc) and leave Minecraft untouched?

MegaRaja54321

Jul 29, 2019
Just a preface of what I've gathered
We aren't even sure this is even going to happen. Like I've heard elsewhere, this sounds like some trolly wall street gang decided to have some fun, but as neither parties are commenting at all (makes it sounds believable to me, business secrecy isn't new, it happens in the sports world very often), nobody is really sure where we stand.

Anyway, one question:
Is the fact that Microsoft is offering on Mojang rather than Minecraft significant? It's a tad optimistic, but could Microsoft be interested in another game (Mojang != Minecraft iirc) and leave Minecraft untouched?
Omg never thught about that. YEah they never said they will do anything to minecraft they said they wanted to buy mojang. This is a good prediction

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway, one question:
Tbh, this is probably the case. I mean, Amazon bought Twitch, Google bought YouTube, the list goes on. It's probably just another scheme to get the CEO's more money in the long run and keep Microsoft at the top. If Mojang does get sold out, I honestly wouldn't expect a single change if any other than business practices, which doesn't particularly concern me.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019

Who knows, if Minecraft remains a popular game then it's most likely that Mojang will keep developing it. If they're aquired by Microsoft....who knows.
The aquisition by Microsoft might mean that the basic Minecraft game gets entirely recoded with it's own software engine rather than having to rely on CPU-intensive Java code to run (most likely Microsoft won't be keen to rely on Java but I'm not knowledgeable about that stuff). But if they did that, no doubt a whole host of other stuff would be likely to change and become more advanced. Again, it's anyone's guess if Microsoft are even interested in making such big changes.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Just in case any of you need some optimism, Notch made this tweet in March: https://twitter.com/notch/status/448900844541726720
I can say I'd turn down 2 billion bones, but if I was offered that kind of money, I'd take it and maybe rethink my decision one day when I'm fishing on my yacht. Maybe. Just a thought on selfish old me, really hoping Notch and Mojang are more considerate than I am.

Unrelated, but to be perfectly honest, I think we're making a mountain from a molehill here.

Good night y'all, I'll have lots to read in the morning, I'm sure :p

Reactions: glepet1962

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I can say I'd turn down 2 billion bones, but if I was offered that kind of money, I'd take it and maybe rethink my decision one day when I'm fishing on my yacht. Maybe. Just a thought on selfish old me, really hoping Notch and Mojang are more considerate than I am.

Unrelated, but to be perfectly honest, I think we're making a mountain from a molehill here.

Good night y'all, I'll have lots to read in the morning, I'm sure :p
I really don't think most of us would have any right to blame him for looking out for himself and his family....... At worst he's betraying a video game, and community that already appears to be weakening. If he was selling secrets to the Chinese/Russians I may be a bit more judgmental.

To those suggesting that Microsoft may be looking at some of Mojangs other assets..... what other assets? Scrolls, or Mojangs share of Cobalt? I have a hard time seeing microsoft being overly interested in those games.

Obviously I don't know what they have behind the scenes......

Anyways, the conversation does not equal purchase.... It would open up some nice doors for discovery as Mojang opens its closet so that Microsoft can check for skeletons. Doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft is overly serious.

MisterControversy

Jul 29, 2019
Should this happen, Microsoft would most likely not allow mods and at that point, I'd end up just leaving to find another game, or at worst, make one myself.
Because if Mojang can't be bothered to make a modding API, Microsoft will certainly be worse.

Also, Microsoft would be getting one giant "F*** You" email from me. Not something big, but a possible annoyance if I decide to try and grab a ton of people.

C

chbachman

How about this. If Microsoft goes off and buys Minecraft and If they ban mods, then we make our own minecraft. All the mod makers collaborate and build our own minecraft. That would not be too bad, right?

Reactions: McJty and Danjal

MisterControversy

Jul 29, 2019
How about this. If Microsoft goes off and buys Minecraft and If they ban mods, then we make our own minecraft. All the mod makers collaborate and build our own minecraft. That would not be too bad, right?
If I learn Java, sure!
If I don't, I'll probably use it anyway.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
TUG or Terasology looks pretty cool. Apparently both have a modding platform as well. but only if minecraft modding crashes and burns.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Welp...time for partial disclosure.

My retirement earlier in the year was a step back from Minecraft. Myself and some of the other devs were kicking around an idea. There's a google doc and everything.

There's also a rudimentary engine.

We'll see where this goes. Kickstarter isn't out of the question. I'm not a huge fan of Mojang I admit, but I'm far less fond of the idea of Microsoft owning it.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Welp...time for partial disclosure.

My retirement earlier in the year was a step back from Minecraft. Myself and some of the other devs were kicking around an idea. There's a google doc and everything.

There's also a rudimentary engine.

We'll see where this goes. Kickstarter isn't out of the question. I'm not a huge fan of Mojang I admit, but I'm far less fond of the idea of Microsoft owning it.
*claps* that is all. (for now....)

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't take much of a search to find games built like minecraft..... If the community decides to bail though we'l' likely shatter and each individual game will get fairly small percentages of the overall population. Not a horrible thing, but it doesn't exactly sugget that a successor can expect a ready built player base/ income stream to in any way compare to Mojangs.