Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'll be sticking around until given a concrete reason to leave. Rumor and innuendo are not going to control my game.

I've seen worse situations with games before.

Heck, if Microsoft rewrites MC using a real language (JK) and provides an API I may jump on the modding wagon myself. I don't want to take the time to mess with Java and it's funky garbage collection. We had to do enough of that in "C" in the early 80's.

Any of the Visual Studio languages would be fine, since VS is now basically one language that you can choose which syntax (C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic) you want to create with, and the Express version of VS is a free download. The only thing missing are the Enterprise collaboration tools such as shared server workspace. Sneaker-net is still doable for small groups.

Last edited:

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I love Minecraft. It's absolutely my favorite game to play. But vanilla has been just a hodgepodge of feature updates that could already be found in mods for awhile now. The most important feature of 1.8 is the performance improvements. Mutton and bunnies and a few new blocks (without slabs or stairs of course, because Notch Slab Principle or something) have been available to modded MC players for years. Something like 60% of the game is still written in Notch's "My Furst Java" spaghetti code. I've long wanted Notch to just completely leave Mojang and Minecraft up to others. I don't know if Microsoft is the best place for Minecraft, but I'm not going to worry about it yet. I can't make decisions about anything without more information. Actions, not speculation about potential actions, will determine what kind of future I have as a budding modder, texture artist, and player. For now, I have a tree farm to build and more stuff to think about for an HQM pack I'm working on.

Reactions: Ritt and ApSciLiara

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Just figured I will chime in on this whole business. Regardless of Microsoft's involvement in this game, I will continue to offer Faithful 32 for modded packs. If they want to buyout Vattic's work or even the entire Github repository of textures its not happening. For one I don't even have the rights to all the textures, and second I would not feel comfortable giving control of my work to Microsoft unless they included it in the vanilla game for free.

As to all the other people in the community, players and contributors alike, stop jumping off the fucking boat. We are still tied to the dock and Microsoft has done nothing as of yet to convince us that its a speedboat headed for rocky waters.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I hope this whole "Minecraft 2" thing isn't serious. I know its likely a joke, but I've been bitten by that before, so I'm a tad leery of assuming such.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
imagine a world where there was an actual mod api built into the game, that wouldn't require some modder to deobfuscate code each version update.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
imagine a world were the only way to get to the API is to buy a dev license

Well before the MS deal we didn't even have that. Remember that all mods we have now were created without any API. The modding community just reverse engineered Minecraft.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Well before the MS deal we didn't even have that. Remember that all mods we have now were created without any API. The modding community just reverse engineered Minecraft.
... and built an api on top of the deobfuscated minecraft

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019

Right. If there was a reasonable price on a dev license, I don't think that'd be the worst possible outcome.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad to see everyone sticking their ground and being optimistic and happy and not instantly scurrying off. I myself have only gotten 3 hours of sleep waiting for this and am drinking lots of coffee downloading and backing things up. Every modpack I can find I am shoving onto my hard drive. I've got 30 TB of space because I have like 10 external drives my brother left when he moved out.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well.
You know what makes me very optimistic?
How open Mojangs new owners have been about their intentions.
Wait.
Perhaps I'm not so optimistic afterall.

Reactions: Ritt