Old Adeptcraft - A collection of memories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It makes people afraid to stay and devote time to the server, which in turn makes the server a sad and empty place.

KrinDave here makes the best point. The biggest thing that makes a server community grow is commuication and planing. Making sure everyone is on the same page goes a long way to advoid hurting anyones feelings or making anyone feel left out. People are more willing to accept changes even ones they disagree with if they are kept in the loop and given a chance to voice their options. Obvuisly you will never be able to please everyone there is always someone that will find issue in almost any choice made at the admin level. But at least those sorts of issues can be minuimized.

also back ups... back ups and testing go a long way to advoid issues or at least identify what issues will be.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
So, a little ToDo would look like this:

1. Timetable: Set up a fixed timeframe for everyone to read about when, how and why a world may/will/could be reset/updated/set back. This generates safety and knowledge about building plans.
2. Whitelist: The idea of a whitelisted server is to have a closed, rather cozy community. The last days saw a frequent stream of newcomers - and have a close watch over those, that stir up trouble.
3. Moderation: Nobody can demand the admin to be present 24/7 - which, given time and thought, should result in a handful trusted members granted moderation powers.
4. Maybe a ruleset - we're in between "anything goes" and "strict catholic private school" right now. I'm fine with a certain amount of swearing (I do so myself at times), but there should be drawn a line. This leans into member-communication, too. All the bitching is poisoning the atmosphere on the server as a whole - be it one being involved, or not.

Well.. just my two cents. =)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think the topics for the server might be best to go in the new thread created by Jermore. As this thread was orginally about my project on the server and morphed into others peoples projects to since all that is basicly done it is fair to say this thread is most likely done to for now.

When I get a new project started I will of course start a thread to track my work like I have done before and people are welcome to share there own progress there if they wish.

New thread is ----> http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/adeptcraft.20177/#post-239289

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
When I get a new project started I will of course start a thread to track my work like I have done before and people are welcome to share there own progress there if they wish.

that would be nice, your threads were amongst the first I regularly read.

Reactions: jumpfight5

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone's posting their (very reasonable and non-flamey) opinions on this subject, and I thought I would give you all my thoughts.

I just said Jerome was doing good at this admin thing, too. My last post on here JUST was talking about how I was very impressed with his letting us vote. These days, too many server owners think of themselves as dictators of their servers. Yes, you pay $80 a month, but, seriously? I wasn't invited to this skype conversation, either (at bare, BARE minimum, he should have posted it on the thread even if we weren't there to see it, and should have told us what happened after the conversation, too. Many server admins fail to remember that they don’t have a monopoly on FTB servers. There are hundreds and maybe thousands of servers running these modpacks, and it’s not hard to get on most servers, just write a couple of sentences for the whitelist, or request an invitation.
Like I said before, you don’t have to have any mods you don’t want, even though EE3 and Xeno’s don’t lag up the server much at all, Jerome seems to believe them as overpowered or unbalanced (which I don’t agree on very much either, I like to have a full spectrum of mods to choose and abuse from). But if people are gonna play by your rules, why not give them the peace of mind in knowing that their builds will be safe if they want to go SLEEP? If you’re going to allow voting, why don’t you be fair with the voting and not give yourself “80 votes cause you pay $80”. And if you don’t want to be gracious enough for this, give us a warning: “Server’s gonna be reset, starting tomorrow, grieving is enabled”. Because I hate early game, I’ll still be mad, but would I be THIS mad? Probably not. Remember when Jerome banned Tech for grieving and putting it on the forums? And not even on Adeptcraft? It was...weird, but I was kinda happy and sad. Someone this strict surely wouldn't let anybody get away with a grief. Now I look at this, and it's hypocracy. Let's ban someone because they grieved on another server. Fine. But then to allow grieving?
Jerome's next statements on the matter are going to really have to prove to me that I can trust him again before chilling on this server. Is RP2 going to be added to the list of mods I will never see again? Is Adeptcraft going to be added to the list of servers I will never see again?
[DOUBLEPOST=1367446827][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think the topics for the server might be best to go in the new thread created by Jermore. As this thread was orginally about my project on the server and morphed into others peoples projects to since all that is basicly done it is fair to say this thread is most likely done to for now.

New thread is ----> http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/adeptcraft.20177/#post-239289
Oops, I didn't see this :p
I had that post up for an hour because my sister's fish in her tank mysteriously disappeared at the same time a whole can of food and contact solution was dumped into mine ;)

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
So back to fun builds on this thread and tech if you want to work with me till the update thats fine. On another note I was at work so could not advocate for myself and tech if I'm not here I can advocate for myself. That being said I'm willing to help out anyone that needs help with this or other things

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that time, when the Redpower manager totally crashed the server for days and caused an entire region to be reset?

Ahhh, the memories...

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
lol nope I wasn't able to get on anyway.. what sucks is that this happened the day I got a pc capable of playing at >10fps

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
lol nope I wasn't able to get on anyway.. what sucks is that this happened the day I got a pc capable of playing at >10fps
I had that issue my computers older added optifine and tweeked some of the graphics was getting around 30 to 40 fps

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I set mine to fast not as nice and my computers close to 5 years old. it only has a 2 gig duo core processor I find that odd that it would be that bad.