[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

BeerCav

Retired Staff
Jul 3, 2014
U.S. Army - Retired
I read through a lot but maybe I over looked it due to half way through my eyes crossing and starting to bleed (so sorry if it's been brought up) but what about a refresh button to refresh the modpack list for stuff like this?

launcher_zpsdf54ef5e.jpg

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
I read through a lot but maybe I over looked it due to half way through my eyes crossing and starting to bleed (so sorry if it's been brought up) but what about a refresh button to refresh the modpack list for stuff like this?

launcher_zpsdf54ef5e.jpg
I see a refresh button on the bottom? :p

Masterchef365

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to make my own launcher for a while now, but couldn't reverse engineer the minecraft launcher code, so I thought I'd make a modpack switching software (Much simpler, done it before). I got pretty far but then I saw the FTB needed a new interface, and I thought that my launcher UI idea might be worth taking a look. This is a link to a demo of the interface on my website: http://masterchef365.weebly.com/ftb-launcher-idea.html
NOTE: Use left and right arrow keys to move the panel!

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to make my own launcher for a while now, but couldn't reverse engineer the minecraft launcher code, so I thought I'd make a modpack switching software (Much simpler, done it before). I got pretty far but then I saw the FTB needed a new interface, and I thought that my launcher UI idea might be worth taking a look. This is a link to a demo of the interface on my website: http://masterchef365.weebly.com/ftb-launcher-idea.html
That just crashes whenever I do anything.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That seems inefficient. It's much easier to just click the pack you want than to have to scroll through them all.

Reactions: RealSketch

Masterchef365

Jul 29, 2019
That seems inefficient. It's much easier to just click the pack you want than to have to scroll through them all.
Using keys is not the idea, they were just easier to program at the time. The actual thing would move the panel when the mouse gets too far to the right or left, then save your position for the next time you open the launcher. This is just a very rough outline to show that a 3D launcher UI would look pretty cool, especially next to the current default minecraft launcher.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Using keys is not the idea, they were just easier to program at the time. The actual thing would move the panel when the mouse gets too far to the right or left, then save your position for the next time you open the launcher. This is just a very rough outline to show that a 3D launcher UI would look pretty cool, especially next to the current default minecraft launcher.
I already had it, but I downloaded and reinstalled just in case it was an outdated version.
I just get this, then after a few seconds it crashes.
241531e041.png

Masterchef365

Jul 29, 2019
True... But it might cause trouble on systems with weaker GPUs due to unsupported code and all that. :p
That's why the official launcher would use java and OpenGL just like minecraft. The launcher would still be written in java just like it was (Mostly because I imagine that it
's easier to run java programs form java programs instead of unity's C#), I only did the 3D in unity to show off the idea because it's easier for me. I'm not super great at java, so I didn't bother coding it in a language I'm not extremely proficient at.

BeerCav

Retired Staff
Jul 3, 2014
U.S. Army - Retired
That's why the official launcher would use java and OpenGL just like minecraft. The launcher would still be written in java just like it was (Mostly because I imagine that it
's easier to run java programs form java programs instead of unity's C#), I only did the 3D in unity to show off the idea because it's easier for me. I'm not super great at java, so I didn't bother coding it in a language I'm not extremely proficient at.
What about photoshop or some type of graphic editing tool? This way you can at least show an image to those of us that can't load it. )Just an idea(

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
FTB should have all of it's mods be together, with a file explaining which to use.
Now that may not make much sense, so let me explain. With the Technic custom packs, you're not allowed to redistribute minecraft.jar, so you have to make a modpack.jar, which is virtually merged with minecraft.jar in the RAM. If FTB could do this with mods instead of the jar, it would be a revolution in modpack making. Instead of a copy of mods in each pack, there would be a central folder with all FTB mods, and there would be a .json file that would specify which mods to launch
Imagine the implications. To make a custom pack, you could choose with a checklist of mods, and they would be loaded with the pack. Dependant mods, like ChickenBonesCore would automatically be added. Coupled with no ID conflicts in 1.7 and universal configs, there would be nary a problem. Also, when updating, instead of redownloading everything, there could be one file to add, and one file to delete.
Of course, there are probably plenty of technical implications, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Instead of checking the mods folder and loading all the mods in there, one file would specify which mods to load, all in one folder. It would simply be loading mods from a different location.
If this were to be added, modpacks could be changed forever.

Reactions: BeerCav

BeerCav

Retired Staff
Jul 3, 2014
U.S. Army - Retired
This makes sense but in the same token imagine the virtual size of every pack on the launcher. Wouldn't that make the launcher, not to mention each pack, take forever to load? Then the FTB team would have to increase their overall size of their storage system dramatically in order to keep up with this..............or is it just me? Great concept though. How about if there was a mass storage for all mod to be stored and use a .json AS a pack in the .jar to include the config folder with necessary files due to the ever increasing number of new mod being developed on a daily basis. Is this what you're meaning or something similar?

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
This makes sense but in the same token imagine the virtual size of every pack on the launcher. Wouldn't that make the launcher, not to mention each pack, take forever to load? Then the FTB team would have to increase their overall size of their storage system dramatically in order to keep up with this..............or is it just me? Great concept though. How about if there was a mass storage for all mod to be stored and use a .json AS a pack in the .jar to include the config folder with necessary files due to the ever increasing number of new mod being developed on a daily basis. Is this what you're meaning or something similar?
Yeah, the second part is basically what I mean. There shouldn't many memory problems. The average user has maybe four or five packs, each with about 100 mods each. That's 500 mods, plus all of the other pack content.
With my idea, there would be one folder with every single mod, and forge would choose the ones to load. Each pack would just access whichever mods it needs from the central folder, using a .json file to know which mods.
In that extent, you're right. Each pack would be a .json with mods and configs, and a save location. The mods would be loaded not for each pack separately, but from kne place. The uniiversal configs would be downloaded for each mid in the pack, and voila! You're done.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Has 3rd party maps been suggested a billion times yet? :p I think it would be awesome if smaller youtubers could put their maps up for download, so people could goof around with em'.

Reactions: SatanicSanta