[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

Lithia

Jul 29, 2019
Could you include a Torrent Feature
For example my internet cuts in and out randomly and breaks the download about 4-7 times each 10 downloads which gets extremely annoying.
it would be nice if when i start downloading on a torrent version of the client,
when my internet drops out for 5 to 20 seconds the download just pauses and starts again when my connection comes back
This also will improve bandwidth for you guys because you can get tons of peers due to the large community you have.

not asking for you to redistribute the mojang files but just the mod files that range up to 300 to 400mb

Many Different games use it such as League of Legends, Starcraft II, and World of tanks

Reactions: Zaes

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
Could you include a Torrent Feature
For example my internet cuts in and out randomly and breaks the download about 4-7 times each 10 downloads which gets extremely annoying.
it would be nice if when i start downloading on a torrent version of the client,
when my internet drops out for 5 to 20 seconds the download just pauses and starts again when my connection comes back
This also will improve bandwidth for you guys because you can get tons of peers due to the large community you have.

not asking for you to redistribute the mojang files but just the mod files that range up to 300 to 400mb

Many Different games use it such as League of Legends, Starcraft II, and World of tanks

I second this request. This would hugely benefit those people that are stuck on poor Internet speeds. There have been countless times that a FTB pack update has not worked because the upload missed a few bytes of a file, causing the download to corrupt.

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
Torrents == overkill, creeperrepo supports downloading partial content.
+ P2P doesn't necessarily improve your download speeds.

8uPyt.png

Reactions: Nerixel

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, i was thinking of making a custom resolution like on the original minecraft... Thanks!
You can set the Minecraft window size in Advanced Settings.
609651ea68.png

If you were referring to resizing the launcher itself, it can be a rather complicated feature to add because of GUI auto-resizing and stuff, so they might just not add it to this launcher and put that in the Curse client (if it doesn't already have it). If you weren't aware, FTB will soon be using the Curse client rather than the FTB launcher to install packs, so the current launcher will probably stop being developed soon. Someone might continue it though, you never know.

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
Just having opened the launcher, and saw Jaded's MagicFarm 2 modpack there, and noticed that the name of the pack gets cropped off due to the slider (this also happens to the news section). As a fix, can we please have re-sizeable launcher sizes?

Also, could we possibly have the option to hide the older builds of minecraft (1.5.2 backwards) in a folder, rather than rendering the whole list all the time?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Just having opened the launcher, and saw Jaded's MagicFarm 2 modpack there, and noticed that the name of the pack gets cropped off due to the slider (this also happens to the news section). As a fix, can we please have re-sizeable launcher sizes?

it can be a rather complicated feature to add because of GUI auto-resizing and stuff, so they might just not add it to this launcher and put that in the Curse client (if it doesn't already have it). If you weren't aware, FTB will soon be using the Curse client rather than the FTB launcher to install packs, so the current launcher will probably stop being developed soon. Someone might continue it though, you never know.
--
Also, could we possibly have the option to hide the older builds of minecraft (1.5.2 backwards) in a folder, rather than rendering the whole list all the time?
You can use the filter settings to show only one Minecraft version, which solves your problem to a degree. As always however, I'll say this:
they might just not add it to this launcher and put that in the Curse client (if it doesn't already have it). If you weren't aware, FTB will soon be using the Curse client rather than the FTB launcher to install packs, so the current launcher will probably stop being developed soon. Someone might continue it though, you never know.

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
--

You can use the filter settings to show only one Minecraft version, which solves your problem to a degree. As always however, I'll say this:
Just wondering, is there a planned date of deprecation for the current FTB_Launcher.jar, or no?

Would it be possible to add an option to remove the splash screen/logo?

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering, is there a planned date of deprecation for the current FTB_Launcher.jar, or no?

I'm not the guy to ask, don't know anything secret about the launcher (never have, never will). You'd need to ask Slow, Nana or a launcher dev probably.

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
--

You can use the filter settings to show only one Minecraft version, which solves your problem to a degree.

Ah, apologies for not seeing your post first - on a small bandwidth, 250kbps download for a family of 5 doesnt like opening web pages that often :p Maybe have a dropdown menu of pre-set resolutions for the launcher to accept?

Yeah I am aware of this, but whenever I want to play FTB whilst running a few extra programs on my PC (which is a very low performance PC) such as chrome for YouTube +/or Twitch, Steam to chat w/ gaming buddies, or even leaving Microsoft Office running in the background, it takes several minutes before the lists load (everything seems to be read-only). I thought that it would be a handy feature for low-performance computers can handle running the .exe better.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

The only reason we have a splash screen is something to display while things are loading, our new build (1.4) has much lower loading times so you shouldn't have to look at it for as long

ravager

Jul 29, 2019
i think the mac launcher should be checked, a lot of people have been having problems with it, either a black screen or another screen problem, none of the fixes given before are working and the support people have no answer to the support questions

ariosos

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't seen it mentioned in here (on a quick search - just a thread a year ago about hiding packs), but my suggestion would be to have a "Favorites" tab for favorite modpacks. The modpack list has obviously grown in the past few years, but it would be nice to have a tab or filter option to show a custom list of modpacks.

DuBCraft21

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice to have a something to make updates smaller, for example:

only updating the mods that have been updated instead of downloading everything fresh.
If a data base where all mods and versions are stored is implemented (if its not already) then you could have it see what current version of the pack you want to update is installed then have it send back the information saying "I have this version, I need these mods" or if the pack is not installed then say "give me everything", this way it will save time for people who have slow internet or buggy internet (like mine).

If you would like me to be more specific or even write out a rough sudo code script I will try to get back to it and write a reply.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019

only updating the mods that have been updated instead of downloading everything fresh.
If a data base where all mods and versions are stored is implemented (if its not already) then you could have it see what current version of the pack you want to update is installed then have it send back the information saying "I have this version, I need these mods" or if the pack is not installed then say "give me everything", this way it will save time for people who have slow internet or buggy internet (like mine).

If you would like me to be more specific or even write out a rough sudo code script I will try to get back to it and write a reply.
That's been suggested already, I believe it's called delta updating, and it's on the list of things they want to add: "'Smart' downloading/updating. Will reduce download amounts and will allow resuming of downloads in case it's stopped for any reason."

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

IIRC that is planned with the curse thingy.

Naumnaum

Jul 29, 2019
Add on modpack pathname the version of pack, on updating modpack, show current modpack versions installed, and options to remove, use configs and/or use saves from selected installed versions, this will lower multiple downloads of same client and will improve modpack testing and serverplaying.