[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

unv_annihilator

Jul 29, 2019
NOTE: Any ideas regarding private packs should be held off until a later time as we have some big changes in the works. However, I am not going to promise anything at this time either since it hasn't been finalized :)

Reactions: Lawbroken

spiderbiggen

Jul 29, 2019
maybe add a download button to download a modpack from the launcher before playing? that way you don't have to launch the game before downloadin a texture-/resourcepack from the launcher, right now i have to leave the game before I can do this. Which is not exactly what I want, because sometimes it can take a minute or two before it is completely launched after which I can close it to download the texture-/resourcepack.

GuildMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Could it be possible to add an "Connect to Forums" button? Basically, you click it, enter your FTB forums account info, you authenticate and boom: the FTB forum can be accessed from the launcher. I know this might be hard, maybe requiring you to make a HTML parser, but it would be really cool. It would also advertise the forums. Nothing too fancy, just another tab, with the word "forums" or "community" on it.

Reactions: BanzaiBlitz

Damion

Jul 29, 2019
not sure if its been requested but how about with the world back up you add a world post option that when you select your world it has a post to launcher option......then you change/add a filter to the world tab so that you can filter FTB Team posted worlds and user posted worlds

cjm721

Jul 29, 2019
Method 1: rsync. No DVCS required :p
Method 2: diff and patch, this method could possibly save user changes to configs (but won't do it cleanly). No DVCS required too :p

Edit: If you want to go with the DVCS path, I'd suggest distribute git with the launcher and pull from a central repo. Again this method could possibly save user changes to configs, but will require the user to resolve conflicts by themselves.

Been thinking about this for a while but never thought to post it.

A version control system such as SVN/GIT or your own implementation could be very useful for not just the configs but also for downloading the modpacks. Now I don't know legal/copyright issues for having this sort of system but the benefits would be:
  • Less Downloading for Client (Less upload for server) on updates
    • Also means less CPU usage and can have higher speeds per person.
    • Time and bandwidth saving.
      • Some people have datacaps and ~100MB zip is quite a bit
  • Less Storage space usage on the FTB servers
    • No (less) duplicate files
    • Main space usage for any mod-pack is the mods. The config pack in total is about the size of one mod.
  • Faster creation of private modpacks for ones that have FTB 3ed party permission
    • Also could allow for automation of the process for certain parts.
  • Automate config updates
    • Person wants to change config settings for his modpack does not have to re-upload / approved (Also tie into auto system)
  • Could also implement a client end one also
    • On client side store a folder with all mods then have the Launcher inject selected ones on launch
    • Same benefits of data size as point 1,2
There are also cons but that mostly has to deal with having to setup/program it but from what I have seen of the staff here that is not an issue.

There are probably even more things that could be added to both but this is kinda what has been in my head for a while

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
jinbobo stop making fun of him :p

*edit: wheres my wiki team tag, have i been kicked :O

dunno, maybe jaded removed it
Kappa.png

Lemme see if I can get it back.

Jirajha

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes you need to do some votes. I think an option integrated in the launcher would be fine.

What I'd really like to see aswell, would be an improved Texture Pack section with previews maybe with buildt-in YT video player if the RP-Author decides to do one.

Also, an option do specify a download location for each individual Pack on installation would be nice. A popup on installing a new pack about disk space requirements would be kind aswell.
Example (Sorry for my design-unskills :p):

mjevans

Jul 29, 2019
[Suggestion] Pre-determined Java profiles
  • 32 bit single core + low memory (lighter packs / vanilla + client side mods etc)
  • 32 bit multi core (designed to take advantage of multiple cores)
  • 64 bit single core
  • 64 bit multi core
  • Custom (base off the above profile) In this mode /all/ java parameters would be exposed and could be edited (have wildcard substitutions for some things, maybe 'magic cookie' format %x style stuff).

[Suggestion] Server Profiles
Have different server + pack profiles for different servers. Allow the end user to add a server by keyword, URI to an XML describing a server (would have server name, multiple resource overlays (configs, textures/sounds, etc), etc) and a overlay pinnings (resource packs of .zip / .jar files which would be extracted with default permissions in the relative Minecraft base folder).

This would make it easier for servers to distribute tweaked configs, waypoints, and possibly even mods which they have permission to distribute (E.G. open source and/or direct permission from the developer) as well as developers pushing out new mods to their test server, but against an existing pack.

The same general format for the XML descriptor could also be used to setup a pack initially, per resource specifying:
  • display name
  • description
  • author
  • mod homepage
  • mod help link (wiki/etc)
  • file name
  • file size
  • file checksums (please use a few algorithms as it's extremely unlikely for an exploit to exist which can compromise both without impinging upon archive functionality, currently SHA-1 and SHA-256 are recommended);
  • output location (if empty/not specified it's an overlay to be extracted in to the base directory)
  • source URI (if specified it's a direct download and not something in the FTB repository)

The file size and checksums could be used to determine if the file in question is already part of an existing downloaded mod pack and thus already cached locally; in that case the local copy would be used (hardlink / symlink / copy). File size difference and/or checksum/extraction error would trigger a re-download.

[Suggestion] Forced Rebuild
Move the saves and other local content out, forcefully rebuild the pack to baseline, re-install backup of saves/etc.

Reactions: un worry

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
[Suggestion] Pre-determined Java profiles
  • 32 bit single core + low memory (lighter packs / vanilla + client side mods etc)
  • 32 bit multi core (designed to take advantage of multiple cores)
  • 64 bit single core
  • 64 bit multi core
  • Custom (base off the above profile) In this mode /all/ java parameters would be exposed and could be edited (have wildcard substitutions for some things, maybe 'magic cookie' format %x style stuff).

I've been tweaking the JVM enough to say no and explicitly asked that nothing be passed from the launcher except the Heap allocation. Not only are different parameters not fully compatible between version to version (ie J6 to J7) there are also changes between builds (ie J7u40 and J7u45) that can require a rebalancing of the pushed parameters.

Reactions: Ashzification

mjevans

Jul 29, 2019
I've been tweaking the JVM enough to say no and explicitly asked that nothing be passed from the launcher except the Heap allocation. Not only are different parameters not fully compatible between version to version (ie J6 to J7) there are also changes between builds (ie J7u40 and J7u45) that can require a rebalancing of the pushed parameters.

That's actually the main reason why I think the four profile types might be necessary. Java's memory management methodology is critical to performance and one size does not fit all circumstances.

DIMentia

Jul 29, 2019

Suggestion for the v2 launcher... a System Status Checkup that would collect basic system information like CPU/cores, RAM, Java version/update, and then display small icons ( green, yellow, red?) next to each modpack for those most likely to be suitable for the system in use, or perhaps a utility that allowed manual entry from a small selection of dropdowns for use in making the same estimates for a multiplayer server.
...and of course a prompt to encourage users to update their Java where it is out of date (maybe a link to the Java download page).

A link to your JVM arguments thread in the GUI above or below the text box for the JVM invocation string. Nothing loaded by the launcher, just making your reference handy for those who care to RTFM.

Marvelous piece of work on that thread BTW and thanks very much for the time you invested in it. Our server has always been well behaved, but your recommended invocation makes it noticeably crisper.

Reactions: un worry

Torchizard

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a suggestion for the new launcher. I've always added a few mods to the modpacks that I play and I'm annoyed that the previous launcher would just remove the customized modlist and redownload all the mods for a particular modpack. So my suggestion is for the launcher to keep custom mods over modpack updates.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a suggestion for the new launcher. I've always added a few mods to the modpacks that I play and I'm annoyed that the previous launcher would just remove the customized modlist and redownload all the mods for a particular modpack. So my suggestion is for the launcher to keep custom mods over modpack updates.
The actual new launcher coming out next has that feature planned.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find a place to put this request. So I'll put it here. Admins please move it if necessary.
I would love to see a FTB Server admin package. Similar to what Mine OS has become with a set of Scripts for Linux to manage hosting Minecraft Via linux, only specifically set up for FTB. I can and do run my FTB servers via Mine OS. but doing updates is a huge pain. If there were a FTB aware server manager that could say, daily, check for mod updates and download them it would be fantastic!!