Official FTB Pack Suggestions Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I find that OC is easier to program than CC, I find that it possesses more capacity than CC and is more realistic.
Rouge_bare probably agrees with everything you just said. That's not the point.

Right now in the pack, CC is "late game" technology. If you add OC, you will be adding that "late game" tech in the "early middle" game instead, effectively introducing laser guns to a swordfight. This will make your game (way) easier than everyone else's.

If you're fine with that, go nuts. He's just letting you know about the potential problem.

Reactions: rouge_bare

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
You know, I've seen the Creative Portable Tank recipe as kinda bland, the Cells being the only hard part once you get to that stage in the game. I've made an alternate recipe that I was wondering if you guys would like:
2016-04-14_14.03.02.png

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Several suggestions for IE:S:
  1. Replace all instances of Electrotine in the scripts as Skystone Dust, add oredict support, and remove the original from the Sieve. It feels... weird to have a dust only used for crafting decoration blocks (well, they are used to craft the ME Controller, but still). If it took the place of Electrotine, it would be very interesting.
  2. Basic Portable Tank and Mana Fluxfield should be more expensive. Portable Tank can use Quartz Glass (AE2 not EIO) along with a Copper Plate, and the Fluxfield should use Redstone Soup and probably some Chipsets too.
  3. TNT Generators should be an alternative to Culinary and Steam Generators, and should require RTG Fuel to balance it out.
EDIT: Some examples of the recipes I suggested.

Last edited:

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Since Big Reactors is basically dead, please just move on from that even if it does get forked. I think Advanced Generators is way better for many reasons:
  1. Choice. Sure, some fuels are better than others, but you can choose what you want to fuel your gas turbines on. There's also the steam turbine if you prefer that, and there are still a lot of ways to boil water so that's good too.
  2. They're freeform. This doesn't seem like an upside, but this could be used for cool designs if you're a good builder. If not, it also makes them a lot easier to build.
  3. It would appeal to more people than Deep Resonance. This isn't an upside compared to Big Reactors, but Deep Resonance, while a really good mod, still wouldn't be the preferred choice for everyone due to the pollution. And since AG generally produces less power than DR, they can still coexist, AG being the "safe" power gen and DR being the "hardcore" power gen.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Big Reactors is still immensely popular. You could argue that its more "finished" than "dead" even if E.B never hit all his milestones.

That said, another plausible alternative is NuclearCraft, which is a new nuclear mod which bears a fair resemblance to Big Reactors. I've been following its development and playtesting it, its fun.

Reactions: profrags

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Big Reactors is still immensely popular. You could argue that its more "finished" than "dead" even if E.B never hit all his milestones.

That said, another plausible alternative is NuclearCraft, which is a new nuclear mod which bears a fair resemblance to Big Reactors. I've been following its development and playtesting it, its fun.
I'm talking 1.9 here too. EB is gone from the community and honestly I hope never to see an edition of Big Reactors again. Especially with better alternatives.

NuclearCraft is good too, forgot about that.

Reactions: Everlasting2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm talking 1.9 here too. EB is gone from the community and honestly I hope never to see an edition of Big Reactors again. Especially with better alternatives.

Woops, thanks, I actually forgot that 1.9 was a thing.

J

Jacob5263

I suggest they update FTB Ultimate. i say this because they have not updated it in a while. I think they should add Galacticraft. Just my Opinion

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I suggest they update FTB Ultimate. i say this because they have not updated it in a while. I think they should add Galacticraft. Just my Opinion

They stopped updating ultimate when the modding scene moved to Minecraft 1.5, which was like, forever ago.

If you can find a version of Galacticraft for MC 1.4.7 you can add it to Ultimate yourself though :)

Reactions: Inaeo

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'll be honest, I don't get the hate for Big Reactors, but Advanced Generators is stupendously cool. Being able to power it either via someone's steam generation, or pumping any fluid fuel I like in. So I can run it with Railcraft, IC2, or Big Reactors if I want. Or just pump in IE biodiesel, Forestry Ethanol, Buildcraft Fuel, or even Pneaumaticraft Gasoline.

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
OK, I have a suggestion that can be applied to most FTB packs as far as I'm aware:

use Minetweaker scripts to preemptively unify ingots.

What I mean is, pick an ingot per metal that you choose to be the standard in the pack, and make it so that every machine and crafting recipe makes only that ingot. Do the same with nuggets and storage blocks.

So if you choose TE-copper to be the one and only copper, the script would remove and re-add the crafting recipe from blocks and nuggets, and the casting from a TiC smeltery, the output from furnaces, IC2 furnaces, induction furnaces (TE and IC2), IE machines, and other things I may not have thought of right now. (maybe loot tables for dungeon chests) So that all of these things output only TE-copper ingots.

I do this in my own personal packs too. It removes the annoyances of having multiple types of ingots for the same metal. And it improves the immersion by removing the meta-gaming solution of having to use various oredict conversion methods.

If people want to use the storage blocks as decoration, they can convert them using chisel.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

The simplistic approach to nuclear power taken by the BigReactors mod is precisely what makes it such a desired mod, such a usable mod, such an essential mod for most modpacks. And it is also a pefect mod, there isn't a single thing wrong with any of the functionality of the mod or the appearance of its multiblocks. The big Turbines with the spinning blades is an extremely nice visual spectacle worthy of making it a centerpiece of any base build. It just looks cool, the whole mod.

So I can only imagine your negativity stems from that simplicity? Apparently you desire more complexity in your mod selection, and resent the fact BR became THE "go-to" mod for power generation?

I'm a GregTech kinda guy... so I do understand that mindset, where "simple=bad, complex=good". But I still don't really understand your venom and how forceful you are in your opinion. Are you that much into realism that you want nuclear power to require the player to build something the size of a small city (or a large base)? The one place I would agree BigReactors could have done a bit more with is the oregen. I mean, it is indeed as simple as it gets - one ore, pulverize & smelt it, and bingo, you're good.

Ah well, mainly I'm just posting to express my sadness at learning here that BR won't be in 1.9 modpacks. That's extremely unfortunate if true.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I doubt something so popular will just disappear. Someone will either port it, or rewrite it. We probably should have seen the end of Red Power, but here we are with Project Red, and Blue Power, and... I'm sure there were more.

The thing about Big Reactors is two fold. One is the simplicity with which it's been done. You build it and it does it's job. The other is quality. I've never seen a BR related crash. It's almost stupidly stable. All the alternative's I've played with had at least one crash of some flavor or other, even if they were never repeatable. BR? I've done just about everything I can think of to it, and nothing seems to bother it in the slightest. It either deblocks or reforms. I moved one with Mekanism cardboard boxes. The entire thing and just packed it up and reassembled it in the new spot, and it worked as soon as the last block was in place.

Reactions: RedBoss

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
The simplistic approach to nuclear power taken by the BigReactors mod is precisely what makes it such a desired mod, such a usable mod, such an essential mod for most modpacks. And it is also a pefect mod, there isn't a single thing wrong with any of the functionality of the mod or the appearance of its multiblocks. The big Turbines with the spinning blades is an extremely nice visual spectacle worthy of making it a centerpiece of any base build. It just looks cool, the whole mod.

So I can only imagine your negativity stems from that simplicity? Apparently you desire more complexity in your mod selection, and resent the fact BR became THE "go-to" mod for power generation?

I'm a GregTech kinda guy... so I do understand that mindset, where "simple=bad, complex=good". But I still don't really understand your venom and how forceful you are in your opinion. Are you that much into realism that you want nuclear power to require the player to build something the size of a small city (or a large base)? The one place I would agree BigReactors could have done a bit more with is the oregen. I mean, it is indeed as simple as it gets - one ore, pulverize & smelt it, and bingo, you're good.

Ah well, mainly I'm just posting to express my sadness at learning here that BR won't be in 1.9 modpacks. That's extremely unfortunate if true.
I dunno what I was thinking when I said that, it's a pretty well-designed mod. Advanced Generators I like better even if it is as simple because you don't have to do the same fuel every time. I do like more complex mods like NuclearCraft or DeepResonance, but the fuels often can add complexity to the build. One playthrough I could automate Ethanol and fuel my base like that; another I could delve into Magneticraft or Pneumaticcraft oil processing. And yeah, BR's ore processing is too simple, not to mention the fact that THEIR ORE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE GOLD. UUGGH.