Now that AE2 has a 1.10 release, do people prefer it or Refined Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mass Storage Mass Appeal?

• AE2, first and best!

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Refined Storage, the new king!

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I've done a couple playthroughs using the Curse Client to make my own pack on 1.9/1.10, as mods updated. At first, EZ Storage was the only existing "mass storage" thing. Then we got Refined Storage, a new-ish mod that self-advertises as a "AE1" style mod for 1.9 and later 1.10. I loved having an AE-like system again finally. About the only complaint I've had using it is that last I played it didn't have any way to take a drive out and re-sort it into the system.

Since it's been ages since I've used AE2, I only have vague memories of it. I'm considering doing a run through with it now, but I want to hear from people who have used both recently: Which one do you prefer, and why?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
With as much butthurt as there was when AE2 was when it first came out, I suspect the majority will enjoy a reboot to Easy-Button AE1 style storage. The AE2 channel system is what divided a vast number of people, but for me the crystal growth mechanics (including in-world crafting) was the biggest turnoff. If that has changed, I'm completely OK with the channels still being there as an attempt at balance.

To me, this answer lies in the overall goal of the pack. If the pack is a casual play just to test new mods and mod interactivity, Refined Storage and it's AE1 style simplicity are a boon. If the pack is more themed or (eventually) quested, the added steps and difficulty to automate present opportunities for adventure hooks, which can add to the experience. If modded MC has taught me anything, it's that there is no "one mod to rule them all.". Everything has a place somewhere, and a well designed pack can showcase even the most mundane mod in a good light given the effort.

No vote here. I'll enjoy the strength of each when deemed fit, and enjoy the solace of options should one wear on me.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I think for me I would want to stick with AE2. I'm one of those that doesn't mind the extra steps you have to go through. I also prefer the channels as it make me think about how I want to design my AE network. Instead of just mashing it down and running cable everywhere because now it doesn't matter. Granted the crystal grown mechanic is a little cumbersome, but there are tonnes of ways to automate it. So it really doesn't matter in the long wrong.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
i also would probably go back to AE2 as my main choice... however it is kinda buggy atm and not all the features are implemented now imo.

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I think I will wait until I have a chance to try both side by side. I suspect Direwolf has included both in his new pack (due out tomorrow, 14 Nov.). Having seen the Refined Storage mod used on Forgecraft I'm kind of eager to try it out seriously.

[Edit] I just watched DW's Let's Play S8E1, and both are definitely in his new pack.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There are mods that do in-world crafting. When a mod has this as a core mechanic I can appreciate it. Even though it gives me the heebie jeebies as its now entirely unclear if the 5 minute despawn rule has been lifted. (And, will the exception survive deployment to a craftbukkit/not pure forge based server).

However, when a mod does mostly traditional crafting block crafting but then has one or two bits of in world crafting; it feels wrong. Tacked on. Makes the mod feel messy and points to a general lack of theme or direction.

So, going on my limited experience of modded 1.10 mods and the assumption that AE2 for 1.10 continues to include the horrible wart that is the in-world crafting method for crystals, and Refined Storage does not, I'm going to vote Refined Storage.

Last edited:

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who is just waiting for Logistics pipes? I've always preferred LP over AE.

Same here. Always kinda prefered logistic pipes :) (and a barrel/drawer system for mass storage)
Even though my fps sometimes hates when I have items running through pipes all the time. So usually try to use a "item is not rendered"-system at least for the parts where items move around in all the time.

Though, seen on the question of the thread: I like both so far and I actually really hope that with 1.10. it doesn't start where 1.7.10 left off. That you find the same mods in like 95% of all modpacks cause "everyone uses them!" or cause else people ask "why is mod x not in the modpack?!".

Last edited:

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Same here. Always kinda prefered logistic pipes :) (and a barrel/drawer system for mass storage)
Even though my fps sometimes hates when I have items running through pipes all the time. So usually try to use a "item is not rendered"-system at least for the parts where items move around in all the time.

Though, seen on the question of the thread: I like both so far and I actually really hope that with 1.10. it doesn't start where 1.7.10 left off. That you find the same mods in like 95% of all modpacks cause "everyone uses them!" or cause else people ask "why is mod x not in the modpack?!".

i agree i like LP but even past a very basic system FPS drops dramatically.

I will try refined storage, mainly because im playing on Infinity Lite and AE2 isnt in it. I have a basic system up right now and ive noticed somethings i like and others i dont.Most likley i will end up using AE2 if both are in the pack tho. I dont get why people dont like the in world item creation tho. Sure doing it by hand gets old but thats why i just create 2-3 stacks of it and get it automated early on and its no biggie after that.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
I've loved LP due to being able to see items running around the system but it has a number of turnoffs for me the biggest being the number of crafting blocks you have to place in the world and the preformance issues.

As for refined storage, I'm not a huge fan of them removing the 64 items per a disk limit. It felt like a nice way to prevent people from just making 64k storage drives and putting them everywhere. It's also a nice way to require that people get rid of drops like bows that cause stacking issues. Channels in AE2 made things a bit more fun though I can see how people hated them.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I should check to see how items are actually stored in refined storage. Because there was a distinct advantage to using mostly 1k disk for all of the random junk that winds up in AE2 and using dedicated partitioned disks for mass storage of a single or few items. You have to have a good understanding of how hard drives work and cluster sizes. But lets just say you will waste most of the 64k disk if you throw 40 items on it. I don't know if refined storage did the same thing with their sizing or if they just blindly did linear math on storage.

I never did understand the people that just spam out 64k disk for everything.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
I should check to see how items are actually stored in refined storage. Because there was a distinct advantage to using mostly 1k disk for all of the random junk that winds up in AE2 and using dedicated partitioned disks for mass storage of a single or few items. You have to have a good understanding of how hard drives work and cluster sizes. But lets just say you will waste most of the 64k disk if you throw 40 items on it. I don't know if refined storage did the same thing with their sizing or if they just blindly did linear math on storage.

I never did understand the people that just spam out 64k disk for everything.

https://github.com/raoulvdberge/refinedstorage/wiki/Storage-Disk

1k disk drive = 1k items
64k disk drive = 64k items

From my experience in AE2 1.7.10 that would make a 64k disk drive even storing 64 item types in AE2 better than a 64k disk drive in RS. However overall RS will be better for many people who don't just throw a bunch of random junk and quickly finding themselves hitting the type limit rather than the storage limit. Which honestly seems to be the biggest thing about RS, everything is a lot more simpler a lot easier.

Reactions: PierceSG

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I'm enjoying RS way better then AE2, and I actually enjoyed the channels from AE2. No having to find meteors, no stupid crystal crafting, built in fluid storage. I do have issues with it's crafting system, but it's relatively new, and the kinks should iron out soon.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
https://github.com/raoulvdberge/refinedstorage/wiki/Storage-Disk

1k disk drive = 1k items
64k disk drive = 64k items

From my experience in AE2 1.7.10 that would make a 64k disk drive even storing 64 item types in AE2 better than a 64k disk drive in RS. However overall RS will be better for many people who don't just throw a bunch of random junk and quickly finding themselves hitting the type limit rather than the storage limit. Which honestly seems to be the biggest thing about RS, everything is a lot more simpler a lot easier.

So that means that there is no thought behind the storage of items as well. Make it simple. No thanks.. I think I would still prefer AE2 at this point. Also, I don't remember all of the number but a 1k disk with a single items on it was 4k of that item. So yeah AE2 has more storage per k.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So that means that there is no thought behind the storage of items as well. Make it simple. No thanks.. I think I would still prefer AE2 at this point. Also, I don't remember all of the number but a 1k disk with a single items on it was 4k of that item. So yeah AE2 has more storage per k.

The maths that AE2 used to re-jig its storage capacity was so obtuse, and the mechanisims to manage it either lacking or convoluted that, lets be practical, it was easier to just spam more storage - which *everyone probably did. (* with a few exceptions i'm sure). So thats not a win for AE.

And just because both systems call their unit of storage "k" it doesn't mean its valid in some way to use that as a basis of comparison.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The basic concept he used for AE storage disk isn't that complicated. But it is based on real world hard drives cluster sizes. I don't want to get into a full discussion. But, the most efficient AE storage will have both 1k disks for small qty items and larger disks that are partition for a specific item. Much like you dedicate a MFR DSU to a specific items with a storage bus.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The basic concept he used for AE storage disk isn't that complicated. But it is based on real world hard drives cluster sizes. I don't want to get into a full discussion. But, the most efficient AE storage will have both 1k disks for small qty items and larger disks that are partition for a specific item. Much like you dedicate a MFR DSU to a specific items with a storage bus.

If you want a full understanding of what @Henry Link is referring to, look up articles on "Hard Sectored" floppy discs and the original CP/m and/or FAT file system from DOS.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Finally decided to vote AE2. I agree the meteors are dumb as hell. I don't care one way or another about the crystal growth mechanics. But I can't give up the complexity of the channels; I really enjoy the design phase when I have to actually logically lay things out in a way that will work efficiently.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen
I

identity001

I love Applied Energistics. Without it, playing this game is not an option for me. I have not played anything beyond 1.7.10 until last night when I saw the new direwolf 20 pack for 1.10. Now we just need updated textures for the pack.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I love Applied Energistics. Without it, playing this game is not an option for me. I have not played anything beyond 1.7.10 until last night when I saw the new direwolf 20 pack for 1.10. Now we just need updated textures for the pack.

If I understand Direwolf's comments on his stream correctly, there will be changes coming for AE2... They just concentrated on getting the 1.10.2 version usable first.