Now that AE2 has a 1.10 release, do people prefer it or Refined Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mass Storage Mass Appeal?

• AE2, first and best!

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Refined Storage, the new king!

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
There are a few advantages I see in applied energistics. First off, wireless access. The max range you can access your items in RS is 48 blocks, and there's no wireless crafting grid. Applied Energistics add-on, wireless crafting monitor, solves that. You can craft, and with the infinity booster card, the range is infinite across all dimensions. I think RS is a great introduction to digital storage while AE is far more in-depth.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So basically, neither mod actually offers that facility, one just happens to benefit from an add-on for it. Is that add-on updated to 1.10+?

EDIT: Also, while I don't believe you you can manually craft with the RS wireless doohickey, I think you can send crafting requests if you've got recipes set up in crafters.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
For me LP will always win as I enjoy working with buildcraft pipes more so than any other. As for everyone that liked those thermal dynamics, I believe that LP works with those now as well.

The one thing that can possibly beat LP for me would be a system made using computercraft like Guude had back when 1.4.7 was still a thing. Seriously, 1 turtle can know every crafting recipe there is and the crafting speed is pretty much only limited to how quick you can get the items in the correct spot as it can create a stack at once.

Sorting with turtles is just awesome. Does name contain "ingot", is equal to "redstone" is from mod"vanilla" are just one of the things you can use to sort, not to mention that you can change the sort rules based on the items that passed it if you so desire.

Hook it up to a webserver and you can command your base without login in and even make a nice interface so you can always know what is going on and this isn't just limited to your items. Fluids, energy even people can be monitored if you have the correct addons.

And thanks to good mod integration you should be able to use AE for storage thus making even that a non-issue. It also means that it can work with all the pipes in existing making even item transport a non-problem.

Oh, when it comes to crafting there just so happens to be a site that can calculate a lot of modded recipes for you meaning that if you can hook into that you don't even need to teach your system how to craft anything.

Sadly enough, making a system like this costs an awful lot of time and unless someone has access to the scripts that guude made I doubt we will ever see it happen again.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I suspect, having the option, I'm going to end up using both RS and AE2. I mean, there are a lot of things to like about AE2, and a lot of things to like about RS. AE2 does micro systems much better than RS, because it doesn't need a controller for just eight channels. On the other hand, RS's distant system extender is a lot cheaper to make but more expensive to power after a certain distance. AE2 does P2P and RS doesn't. So I can bring power, fluids or redstone signals along with my AE2 networking. RS crafting mechanic is much better at crafting lots of single things, but AE2 can easily brute force it's way through a huge crafting operation.

They're both good mods, just situationally more useful for one or the thing you need done. Which is how I like it. No one mod or suite of mods should be the be all, end all solution.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
So basically, neither mod actually offers that facility, one just happens to benefit from an add-on for it. Is that add-on updated to 1.10+?

EDIT: Also, while I don't believe you you can manually craft with the RS wireless doohickey, I think you can send crafting requests if you've got recipes set up in crafters.
Yes the addon is in Beyond.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Though vanilla AE2 does include a portable cell you can plug storage into, which means you can take a 64k storage on the go with you. Kinda handy for mining, presuming you're not just teleporting things home.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Though vanilla AE2 does include a portable cell you can plug storage into, which means you can take a 64k storage on the go with you. Kinda handy for mining, presuming you're not just teleporting things home.
This is something Refined Storage has in 1.11.

I prefer RS over AE2 because of the "Item type" limit. I want my storage solutions to be that: Solutions. I want them to make my life easier so I can work on other things, because the vast number of items you have when playing with mods requires a huge amount of storage.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
This is something Refined Storage has in 1.11.

I prefer RS over AE2 because of the "Item type" limit. I want my storage solutions to be that: Solutions. I want them to make my life easier so I can work on other things, because the vast number of items you have when playing with mods requires a huge amount of storage.

You can use a Deep Storage Unit or Quantum Storage to store large amounts of items. Also if an AE2 drive is storing a single item like Cobblestone for instance, it can hold more cobblestone then a RS Drive. Lots of different things require lots of drives. It makes more challenging which is fair considering the vast amount of power something like AE2 or RS gives.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I like Refined Storage a lot, it's very simple to get up and running.

AE2 though, has some very, very nice features.

The main thing though is to decide what's more important for you.

One of the things I like about RS is that it's very easy to get up and running and is fairly simple to expand, for most basic things it will suffice quite happily.

When you need to 'go large' though, the features of AE2 come in handy and make AE2 worth considering.

One of those things is the way crafting works, you can put a bunch of machines around a single AE2 autocrafter block and multiples of a crafted item can be done in parallel.

The crafting panel is terrific, One issue you find when RS builds get large is having to craft a pattern and then go find the block that's pointing at the right machine to load the pattern into. In AE2 you can do this from a console, which is nice if your AE2 crafting interfaces are a long way away from your terminal.

And, we all love the Soaryn drive (I think that's what it's called).

One of my goals in my current game will be to build a big data/AE2 centre.

And.. AE2 just looks awesome.

AE2 vs RS is not a binary choice, one is not better than the other, it comes down to what YOU want from your storage / crafting solution.
I think they are both terrific mods :)

-Wuffle!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
1.11 will make running them in tandem easier, since they'll be able to talk to each other over interfaces, a feature missing from 1.10, but I can definitely see advantages of using both.

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
1.11 will make running them in tandem easier, since they'll be able to talk to each other over interfaces, a feature missing from 1.10, but I can definitely see advantages of using both.
If they become able to talk to each other, you get the best of both worlds. No more need to decide, if there ever was one.