[NOW PLAYABLE] The Abandoned House 2 [Jam-Packed] [145+ Quests] [Dungeons, Tech, Bees, Magic]

What should be added to the map?

• Total voters

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Main reason I prefer packs like these is cause doing it yourself causes ID conflicts - so, no I did not know that. Guess I'll have to take a glance at it to see if it works.
Thanks for the tip.

Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one then!

There should be a copy of a clean otherwise un-eddited config somewhere. Otherwise the Direwolf pack is likely to have the least amount of changes to the configs.
Or just make a 1.7 pack. It has no block ID numbers to cause conflicts.

Atomicwaffles

Jul 29, 2019
Restarted the map, balance is looking a bit better. Still needs work, but I do see progress.
Alloy quest is still wacky. I mined for over 2 hours to get the aluminum I needed, and after I finished all I could think is: "wtf do I do with this much Alumite?" I would really like to see this toned down to require say 8 ingots of the alloys.
Split the smeltery quest into 2 quests, one to build the smeltery, one for the castings. The reward of more smeltery brick after you have to build a smeltery seems a bit odd. Sure you can make a taller smeltery, but with a redstone clock and a hopper or 2 there's no real need. I almost never build a 2 or 3 high smeltery, I'll typically automate ore doubling in another way after that.
I'll wrap up the first quest branch tonight, but my last comment for now is to open up other quest lines sooner. It would be nice to explore earlier.
Well done so far though, polishing is easier when it's something worth polishing, and it looks like you've got that.

Biwel

Jul 29, 2019
hi im new in the forum.
got a question.
you going to make a server for FTB or can i download it somewhere?
and i think the download link is broken, im not able to download the map.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I ran into this issue in last version. The jail breakout with the wife. I see you updated the text for the breakout portion and at least gave us a general direction to go. I find some buildings if I go east but one looks like a cryptogram or something with a villager in a cage (and if it's for another quest, now I won't know the location since it'll show as visited which is another problem in and of itself), but I don't know where the place is. A sign outside might be a good idea for these buildings to signify what they are. ok, yes, I now have mad lab site visited but I'd have no clue if I don't check each quest now if I walk up to a new location since the coordinates disappear as soon as you get to that place (hqm problem, nothing you can do). I'd highly recommend signs on the buildings. or add locations in quest description so it doesn't disappear (which wouldn't require map reset). or both :)

so, where is this jail? :)

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into this issue in last version. The jail breakout with the wife. I see you updated the text for the breakout portion and at least gave us a general direction to go. I find some buildings if I go east but one looks like a cryptogram or something with a villager in a cage (and if it's for another quest, now I won't know the location since it'll show as visited which is another problem in and of itself), but I don't know where the place is. A sign outside might be a good idea for these buildings to signify what they are. ok, yes, I now have mad lab site visited but I'd have no clue if I don't check each quest now if I walk up to a new location since the coordinates disappear as soon as you get to that place (hqm problem, nothing you can do). I'd highly recommend signs on the buildings. or add locations in quest description so it doesn't disappear (which wouldn't require map reset). or both :)

so, where is this jail? :)
The jail should be to left of the main house. It's across the water from Farmer Joe/Tom (I forget his name). It's a giant abyssal block building.

Reactions: DoomSquirter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
found it. Thanks! I think the fact that those locations go away never to be seen again sort of undo any kind of free roam look and do whatever kind of action. You find a neat place, you check it out, realize, oh I need to figure out what this place is, I'll come back. Later, you pull out quest book and first part of quest is done and says to find X place, but you have no clue where that is. right? I think that's a failing of HQM in that it buries that location aspect as soon as you visit/complete that section, thus, no way to go back and see where it was supposed to point you towards. That really ruins the free roam exploration bit for me at least. And btw, that jail is 540m away or thereabouts, and is actually east by south east and because of the chunk loading and distance things are redrawing for me (why I don't know), it's really hard to find that bugger. You might want to add that as another location quest or something.

I think you're testing the limits of HQM. You might want to talk to the authors of HQM (vswe is one of them and he's super nice). They might be able to do something in a future version if they're aware of it. All in all, this is an awesome pack and I'm having fun with it. It's nice to go out and get my food walking on all fours if I want to :) hehe

also, are you going to ever add jabba? In the early game, barrels of some sort seems sorta necessary nowadays. I added it myself last time but this time left everything the way it was with no additions (no sfm either which is killing me, but... :) )

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Ok another question for same quest. Most of those clues are obviously contradictory in nature (can't have big and small head) but the birthmark. Is that supposed to be contradictory as well? i.e. if there is a clue that says has on left leg, doesn't mean they can't also have one on arm, etc... Assume that if it says birthmark on left leg, that's the only birthmark?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
ok, I have zero clue what's up here, but I was for sure I picked right so I picked the block next to hopper, and yeah, I was right, thought it wasn't recognizing the drill but followed the line back to under chest and put a glowstone nook in there and it sucked out of chest but not to upper. I picked block next to chest and light went on and chest got glowstone nook, but there's no sponge or whatever. Thus, unsolvable I'm assuming. :( Just fyi I guess.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's a failing of HQM in that it buries that location aspect as soon as you visit/complete that section, thus, no way to go back and see where it was supposed to point you towards. That really ruins the free roam exploration bit for me at least. And btw, that jail is 540m away or thereabouts, and is actually east by south east and because of the chunk loading and distance things are redrawing for me (why I don't know), it's really hard to find that bugger. You might want to add that as another location quest or something.

Make a suggestion to the mod deves they might change it.
Though you could also include that info in the quests flavor text.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Make a suggestion to the mod deves they might change it.
Though you could also include that info in the quests flavor text.
agreed. that is a workaround, but I think HQM itself should be fixed so it doesn't erase the location information after you get past that since I've seen no place cept in this pack where it really hurts that it does that. Most other packs just send you someplace, then another, etc... you don't really need to revisit the location, etc.

He's trying to keep map resets to zero, so setting the signs on locations themselves seems not to be able to be done while maintaining that ideology (which is a good one), but at same time, this is a real kicker, cause you WANT to explore and check out the cool houses, throw things at villagers stuck in little area, etc.. :) The day I play a pack wherein the villager suddenly starts talking to me (not millenaire, like really talking, like those dopey vids for april fools when all the sounds changed). I would have to rofl. As it stands, it's an interesting glue to these quests the way they are done since it's not some high above god or computer giving you orders, it's as if these dopey villagers are sending you on fedex quests, but that does the pack a disservice since they aren't fedex quests... I think every pack in this jampacked competition upped the bar across the board in ingenuity and use of the mods. I'm so very much more impressed then I thought I would be. It's pretty cool to see so much innovation in one place... :)

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
agreed. that is a workaround, but I think HQM itself should be fixed so it doesn't erase the location information after you get past that since I've seen no place cept in this pack where it really hurts that it does that. Most other packs just send you someplace, then another, etc... you don't really need to revisit the location, etc.

He's trying to keep map resets to zero, so setting the signs on locations themselves seems not to be able to be done while maintaining that ideology (which is a good one), but at same time, this is a real kicker, cause you WANT to explore and check out the cool houses, throw things at villagers stuck in little area, etc.. :) The day I play a pack wherein the villager suddenly starts talking to me (not millenaire, like really talking, like those dopey vids for april fools when all the sounds changed). I would have to rofl. As it stands, it's an interesting glue to these quests the way they are done since it's not some high above god or computer giving you orders, it's as if these dopey villagers are sending you on fedex quests, but that does the pack a disservice since they aren't fedex quests... I think every pack in this jampacked competition upped the bar across the board in ingenuity and use of the mods. I'm so very much more impressed then I thought I would be. It's pretty cool to see so much innovation in one place... :)
found it. Thanks! I think the fact that those locations go away never to be seen again sort of undo any kind of free roam look and do whatever kind of action. You find a neat place, you check it out, realize, oh I need to figure out what this place is, I'll come back. Later, you pull out quest book and first part of quest is done and says to find X place, but you have no clue where that is. right? I think that's a failing of HQM in that it buries that location aspect as soon as you visit/complete that section, thus, no way to go back and see where it was supposed to point you towards. That really ruins the free roam exploration bit for me at least. And btw, that jail is 540m away or thereabouts, and is actually east by south east and because of the chunk loading and distance things are redrawing for me (why I don't know), it's really hard to find that bugger. You might want to add that as another location quest or something.

I think you're testing the limits of HQM. You might want to talk to the authors of HQM (vswe is one of them and he's super nice). They might be able to do something in a future version if they're aware of it. All in all, this is an awesome pack and I'm having fun with it. It's nice to go out and get my food walking on all fours if I want to :) hehe

also, are you going to ever add jabba? In the early game, barrels of some sort seems sorta necessary nowadays. I added it myself last time but this time left everything the way it was with no additions (no sfm either which is killing me, but... :) )
School started back up for me so I'm struggling to get updates out. I'll try to do something tomorrow to update the map on Friday. I will be adding Jabba for this update. I'll also look at the jail quest but I'm 99% sure it works so I'm a little confused. Was the drill charged?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
School started back up for me so I'm struggling to get updates out. I'll try to do something tomorrow to update the map on Friday. I will be adding Jabba for this update. I'll also look at the jail quest but I'm 99% sure it works so I'm a little confused. Was the drill charged?
there was no sponge in the chest that gets sucked from to put in above chest. drill was registered correctly. Don't worry about updates. :) All I did to pass that quest since I know I guessed correctly was name a sponge using the same anvil you had down there and turned it in. Also, if you update the map, you'll have to start over again to get those updates. I think text in the quest book that keeps info on locations is more important and doesn't require reset, but if you do have to do map reset at some point, yeah, signs on their doors would make sense. Maybe tell people to put signs on doors in questbook for now? :)

Seriously tho. school takes precedence!

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I think every pack in this jampacked competition upped the bar across the board in ingenuity and use of the mods. I'm so very much more impressed then I thought I would be. It's pretty cool to see so much innovation in one place... :)

That being said some of them are more thought out and polished than others. As this one is. And "most" of them are actually playable. But they are all innovative and have much potential

Last edited:

Sxcred

Jul 29, 2019
I will be trying this pack out tomorrow, can't wait to see how it is.

I am really enjoying this Jam Packed contest, there are a lot of great HQM packs coming from this!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
so, the desert village? yeah, something fishy. So, I spend half an hour in the nearby lakes looking for odd fish. watching sole villager watching zombies going huh as they all look up at him as if he was a prophet or something. eventually figured it out.

stupid kid with riddle? wtf. vagueness has nothing on you man. 10 to 1 odds, I'll see the clue and have zero idea it's for him, but I'll give you benefit of doubt and let it ride on there... :)

7 trials. is there supposed to be a villager in there? I think he died waiting for me. :( btw, that bedrock area? I stuck an elevator on top and tested and yeah, I got out and didn't grab key so now I'm going in real like. elevator is a bit problematic there but yeah.... :)

btw, what the hell is that room with the klaxxon? scared the CRAP out of me when I walked in there and heard a BUZZZZZ backed out so fast ran into a creeper. much fun was had. 14 lives left.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
ok, so was that key supposed to open that door? it didn't. i used my previously put down elevator to escape the room. heh forthought!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I've been noticing alot of block placing lag and now when I watch the zombies approach, yeah, there's something wrong here. They're spurting. like, moving in spurts / stutters. I've played with alot of these packs previously but regrettably, it's either TC4 or railcraft causing this I think. Not sure. I'd have to add opis to verify. It's not unplayable but it's really affecting things. Restarting only fixes it for half hour or so then it reverts to this mode. I didn't see this at the beginning. Only after I started to explore and build out.

I noticed you disabled hidden blocks in railcraft, so that's good. TC4 taint spread is turned off. I have no taint biomes nearby that I can see. I'm at a loss till I add opis I guess.

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
New update coming this week.

-fixes broken quests (I hope *crosses fingers*)
-adds coordinates to jail in Jail Break quest
-adds two new quests, Better Barrels and Construction Time
-adds one new mod, JABBA
-added some little notes in some quests
-officially stated that the jail break quest can not be completed without cheating
-changed some rewards in the basic to make them a bit crappier

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So, I added opis and I'm just not seeing what's causing the lag issue for me. Running for a couple of hours and the normal things show up as highest ticking entities, like the 4 sprinklers over my 4 9x9 farms. Enderstorage and AE show up, but not too high. Collectively, not one single set of mobs are causing any high ticks, nor is the TE grid tick handler which usually causes lots of issues with back filling, etc.. nothing. Definately noticing some lag, but not to the point it was before. I'll watch it some more but who knows. I do notice alot of pausing with the chunk loading of new areas and they get released pretty quickly tho I don't usually have power suits and I'm flying all over the place, so that could be the issue with that.