Now Listed - Banished V 1.4.0 [Magic][Cave world][HQM][Combat][Survival]

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
If we pop one up it shouldn't be a problem. I'd like to keep a quest like that in, if possible. I'd set up the spawn area to be safe, put in a /kit to give each person the appropriate starter items, and set the area to not allow any changes out to a hundred blocks. Two options after that. The first is just to set up a number of lighted tunnels running off into caves. The one we are looking into is modifying a plugin we use on other servers that teleports a player to a random location. Hoping to do it so you don't appear inside solid rock :) Each player would appear somewhere up to 10k away from spawn, in their own area. We have pretty active admin/mods, about a dozen of us, so griefing is taken care of and offenders tossed out.

Arm twisting has been initiated.

That's nice, but none of the suggestions you're giving stop someone who finds someone else's base from deciding to create a dungeon smack in the middle of it.

And I admit I'm curious about your activity, this isn't the first time someone has posted to this thread about logging into that server and being immediately in a deathtrap.

shadowreject

Jul 29, 2019
The one we are looking into is modifying a plugin we use on other servers that teleports a player to a random location.

One of the EE3 magic circles is a random teleport. Although im not sure what the minimum distance of that TP is but I have had it send me 5k blocks out or more.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
That's nice, but none of the suggestions you're giving stop someone who finds someone else's base from deciding to create a dungeon smack in the middle of it.

And I admit I'm curious about your activity, this isn't the first time someone has posted to this thread about logging into that server and being immediately in a deathtrap.

We'll put Mytown2 on the server, which protects against most things. Dez has been working with them and they are almost finished, we are using it currently on several servers but it doesn't quite have all the flags done. Depends a lot on the mechanic used to create the dungeon. If it's a right or left click, it's not tough to prevent. But even if they did it...you put in a /modreq, someone comes and fixes it, and you ban the person that did it.

I went and logged into that server specifically to see if i could get past the deathtrap, almost made it. Not sure if the quest for the bed was buggy, or if i needed more than 5 zombie kills for the darkpower needed. Died getting more kills, and i reappeared at the set spawn point, which is now the deathtrap someone made.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
One of the EE3 magic circles is a random teleport. Although im not sure what the minimum distance of that TP is but I have had it send me 5k blocks out or more.

This could be useful, have to check it out. The plugin we have was writton by Brandon35555 who created Draconic Evolution, that has an admin block in it that randomly tps players, and he just recoded it as a plugin. We just want to make it safe for a cave world. But the EE3 circle might work as well.

Arminius

Jul 29, 2019
We'll put Mytown2 on the server, which protects against most things. Dez has been working with them and they are almost finished, we are using it currently on several servers but it doesn't quite have all the flags done. Depends a lot on the mechanic used to create the dungeon. If it's a right or left click, it's not tough to prevent. But even if they did it...you put in a /modreq, someone comes and fixes it, and you ban the person that did it.
It's not a right or left click. The dungeon gets generated by dropping the Dungeon Caller item in the world. Is that still easy to prevent?

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
I was already sceptical with Aura Cascade (the whole "throw things on the ground, don't worry they won't decay"), but now i know im not a fan since just now a aura pump had eaten an essence refiner i threw on the ground for thaumcraft analysing!

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a right or left click. The dungeon gets generated by dropping the Dungeon Caller item in the world. Is that still easy to prevent?

Edited becaus i took something incorrectly during grumpy phase of morning before coffee.

We generally try what we can to not take things out of packs and find a way to keep them. If we can't then they just get banned.

Last edited:

Arminius

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it's just your and ElectricCakes phrasing, but it's almost like your angry about something. Is there some problem with trying to put up a server and prevent issues with griefing?

We generally try what we can to not take things out of packs and find a way to keep them. If we can't then they just get banned.
No, you got that completely wrong. I'm actually thrilled that someone would try to put up a proper server for this pack. I just wanted to provide some quick info on how the Dungeon Caller works. If you can stop it from working to grief people, that'd be fantastic.

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
One way that server owners can stop the griefing is simply unallowing items to be thrown near or on claimed areas. The other option is to simply disable the item. Unfortunately the randomness of the dungeon generation is a bit...random. It has a strange pattern and can generate right on top of you or 100 blocks above or below you.

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, which y level is the top of the caveworld? I tried to get to it but i always end up in gigantic cave systems where is pours enemies on me. Or a Griphon picks me up, and then i bug out as i try to escape with recall.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, sorry i read that wrong.
Good to know it has a 100 block radius. We can work on stopping thrown items in claims.

Two of us did finally manage to beat the deathtrap on the other server. I spent a lot of time finding safespots and breaking a block, helped by mobs griefing a larger and larger area. After only about 100 deaths there was a path out. And all the deathpoint beacons give you light to navigate by. :)

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, which y level is the top of the caveworld? I tried to get to it but i always end up in gigantic cave systems where is pours enemies on me. Or a Griphon picks me up, and then i bug out as i try to escape with recall.

I believe 256 at which you hit bedrock, similar to the nether.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it's just your and ElectricCakes phrasing, but it's almost like your angry about something. Is there some problem with trying to put up a server and prevent issues with griefing?

It's a misinterpretation problem combined with a lot of bad experiences. The 'we have pretty active admins/mods,' 'arm twisting initiated' and 'we'll solve it by' caused my half-caffeinated brain to misunderstand that you were defensively representing the bad server in question, but going back and re-reading it, I now grasp that you're talking about a completely separate team trying to put up a new server. At the time, I was also highly skeptical of the response about click-blocking it, because it's a dropped item...So it sounded like far too many admins who I've heard going "Noooo, we're active! We take care of griefing problems! I'll fix it! It's no problem! What is it? How does it even work?" when they were called on the carpet in a forum for not dealing with griefers.

So now that I am wide awake and correctly understanding that it isn't your server, I apologize for the skepticism-tinged commentary. It would be nice to see a Banished server that was set up to prevent griefing, but I do believe it will be somewhat challenging to keep everything in the pack, particularly a droppable mega-dungeon generator which (if I remember my sole experience correctly) overwrites whatever it intersects in a several-chunk radius from its spawn...Makes dropping lava buckets look like child's play!

So, yes, I do apologize. I am sorry. I misunderstood.

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
I believe 256 at which you hit bedrock, similar to the nether.

I see, thanks.

Btw Drastic, i found an semi-loophole: vinteum dust is easy to quantify - since calefactors produce more then they need, especially with an mana focus. And since vinteum dust has an EE3 value... it isn't a big loophole though since they are rather low on cost. It is still far easier to find some chaos ore veins.

Reactions: BaileyH

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
I see, thanks.

Btw Drastic, i found an semi-loophole: vinteum dust is easy to quantify - since calefactors produce more then they need, especially with an mana focus. And since vinteum dust has an EE3 value... it isn't a big loophole though since they are rather low on cost. It is still far easier to find some chaos ore veins.

Is this any worse than setting up an automatic charcoal farm or an automatic cake-maker? Vinteum dust and charcoal both have somewhere around the same EE value, I think?

Arminius

Jul 29, 2019
I actually think it's better to remove the quest for the dungeon caller rather than blocking throwing items. There's too many things in this modpack that depend on thrown item entities - aura cascade's machines are built around it and so are many botania flowers. Same goes for the thaumcraft crucible and thaumometer; and probably a lot of things I'm forgetting here.

NoElement

Jul 29, 2019
Is this any worse than setting up an automatic charcoal farm or an automatic cake-maker? Vinteum dust and charcoal both have somewhere around the same EE value, I think?

Well, to quantify vinteum dust you "only" need an obelisk and atleast one calefactor, and it can be improved with some efficency upgrades aka mana and charge foci, together with an upgraded obelisk (the wizard chalk circle and the stone pillars), so i think it needs the least amount of resources... but overall it is just a small thing, really. I simply just wanted to expand my post a little instead of only saying "thanks". ;P

On other news, bottles of enchanting don't work with the AM2 infusion function. Finally, where do i find shadow ore to make shadow metal?

BaileyH

Jul 29, 2019
I see, thanks.

Thank you but please report bugs or exploits in the bug thread or the git hub, I will forget that this is here.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Working on a banished server tonite with the other Admin. I armtwist, they do all the coding :)

Exact name of the item that spawns the dungeon in? sorry, haven't gotten that far in the pack yet :) Just going to ban it for now, work on clever solution later.