Non-renewable Items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Given the rare drop rate, silverwood is non-renewable (at least in my world- I'm averaging less than 1 sapling per tree)

Gregtech Red/yellow garnets.

Bee hives (If you can find a way to pick them up- anyone tried silk touch?)

Robust Twilight Oak saplings (I think they only exist as a very rare dungeon loot).

I think dead bushes can be transmuted with EE3 now, and cracked sand has {had?} a spreading mechanic.

benben500

Jul 29, 2019
Enderdragon eggs are renewable, since they fall, just make a sand generator (vanilla MC) and use the egg instead.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Enderdragon eggs are renewable, since they fall, just make a sand generator (vanilla MC) and use the egg instead.

Didn't they patch sand generators back in 1.4.4? I seem to recall it was patched around that time.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Given the rare drop rate, silverwood is non-renewable (at least in my world- I'm averaging less than 1 sapling per tree)

Gregtech Red/yellow garnets.

Bee hives (If you can find a way to pick them up- anyone tried silk touch?)

Robust Twilight Oak saplings (I think they only exist as a very rare dungeon loot).

I think dead bushes can be transmuted with EE3 now, and cracked sand has {had?} a spreading mechanic.
I'll add the robust saplings and the silverwood, it is true it drops 1/500 and there are not 500 leaves in a tree, so even if you were lucky, you could never produce infinite amounts of trees. Red garnet dust is the only useful thing red garnets create, and that is renewable (I am partially sure you can get it from redstone, or maybe Ruby dust). If you wouldn't mind doing a little bit of research (unfortunately, I have no time) to see if everything a garnet can be centrifuged into is renewable? It's actually quite an undertaking, it will produce a big list of basic ingredients, and you'll have to check them all to see if they're renewable. Alternatively, you could just put all the basic components, and me and some other members of the forums could see if everything is in fact renewable.
I am not sure if I should add this, I think I shouldn't, because that's technically a glitch that is going to be fixed. I'll keep it out for now.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Is Xeno's Reliquary in any of the FTB packs? If so, remove Dragon Eggs.(renewable with diamond blocks and a item from it)
Also, Greg didn't add Dragon Egg Energy Siphons until the dragon egg duping was removed, right? That's what his thread on the IC2 forums said when he added them.
...Also scrap boxes are the only way in FTB to get more soulsand?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh...there's that 1% soul sand...I don't like it because it's such a small chance, but it's possible. Is there a list anywhere that has every scrap-box-able item?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I had already removed soul sand. Yeah, it's suprising, huh? A few members were toying around with the idea of using Soul Shard Souls to make Soul Sand with a Soul Forge and some Sand. 1 Soul Sand a Soul a Sand, and it'd be like smelting.

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
Red and yellow garnets (at least in mindcrack v8.0.1) can be produced by scrapboxes. Red and yellow garnet dust can be produced from ruby and sphalerite ore (which I don't believe are among the uu-craftable ores), not dust (and not from the ruby/sphalerite combs either, looks like), so their renewability depends on the renewability of the garnets themselves (although if you had another way to get the dusts, gregtech would allow you to implosion compressor them to get whole garnets from dust).

Edit: you can get the list of scrapbox products from NEI; hover over a scrapbox and hit 'u', then go right to get to the "scrapbox" entry (all 36 pages of it). And, looking through it, I see that although endstone is not renewable, you can get endstone dust from scrapboxes.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech also allows you to get oil from soulsand, so that's another way to make that renewable

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't work, the egg will break when pushed by pistons.

I consider it a bit of an exploit but using chainsaw on leaves will get you the leaf blocks and the saplings and you can keep doing that with leaf blocks you place down. So silverwood is renewable but only with the chainsaw. But I don't know how you are having so much trouble getting a sapling when I got 5 from a single tree.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Anyone else thinking the logic matrix programmer?

Though any exploits to collect it get fixed fairly quickly- Bedrock is definitely non-renewable.

I consider it a bit of an exploit but using chainsaw on leaves will get you the leaf blocks and the saplings and you can keep doing that with leaf blocks you place down. So silverwood is renewable but only with the chainsaw. But I don't know how you are having so much trouble getting a sapling when I got 5 from a single tree.

I think [hope] this may get fixed- hopefully it'll be easy to change it so chainsaw/shears only gives leaf blocks.
Its probably just bad luck- unless the aura level effects the drop rate. Generally I get 1, sometimes 2 from a full size silverwood- but half size ones rarely drop any.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't remember getting any saplings while chainsawing the leaves. I think I only chainsawed one tree, though, mostly I use a Silk Touch sickle to gather leaves, I don't know if that's any different. I went plundering a Meadows & Plains Checkerboard Mystcraft Age for Silverwoods, found 6 or so within a coiuple of hundred blocks of the platform. Also a Greatwood with cobwebs in it had a spider spawner and a chest under it! Not seen that before.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I don't remember getting any saplings while chainsawing the leaves. I think I only chainsawed one tree, though, mostly I use a Silk Touch sickle to gather leaves, I don't know if that's any different. I went plundering a Meadows & Plains Checkerboard Mystcraft Age for Silverwoods, found 6 or so within a coiuple of hundred blocks of the platform. Also a Greatwood with cobwebs in it had a spider spawner and a chest under it! Not seen that before.
Yeah, Azanor himself said that chainsaws on leaves wouldn't work. Not sure when or where, but someone quoted him in the thread last time we've been trough silverleaves.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
So should I keep silverwoods on the non-renewable list, or not? I know someone checked and it was something like 1/500, and there are less leaves than that in a tree. But if there's the chance of dropping zero saplings...

Does that mean vanilla trees are non-renewable?! *technically* there's a chance of not getting any saplings, so they could be considered as such. What do you guys think about that?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
So should I keep silverwoods on the non-renewable list, or not? I know someone checked and it was something like 1/500, and there are less leaves than that in a tree. But if there's the chance of dropping zero saplings...

Does that mean vanilla trees are non-renewable?! *technically* there's a chance of not getting any saplings, so they could be considered as such. What do you guys think about that?
Yeah, deff. Also, I was the one checking it ;).

Reactions: jumpfight5