Non-renewable Items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
I think quicksilver can be had from silver wood logs. What does the dragon egg duplication setting do?
Basically an anticheat feature for dragon eggs. If your device is exploding then chances are you are either doing something wrong or for some reason or the GT mod thinks the egg is duped, changing the config should stop the explosions if it is the later situation.

Not saying you duped the egg, just that this usually takes care of the issue.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Randomly scrolling through NEI:

- Cobwebs
- Dead bushes, lily pads, shimmerleaves, cinderpearls (no use except to create renewable materials)
- Silverfish stone can be made non-renewable by destroying all three sivlerfish spawners in a world
- Oil sands / crude oil
- Galena dust (only used to make lead/silver, which are renewable through Thaumcraft)
- Obsidian Totems
- Mystcraft crystals

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh ho ho! Lily pads can be made with UU, and I won't add Galena, because everything it makes is renewable and it's not made in any special recipes.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Lilypads are also renewable via water bees. They use them as their flower and will thus spread them.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I ever made anything out of UU except for a few pieces of cactus and black dye, so I wouldn't have a clue. :)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Lily pads are non-renewable, funnily enough. Unless I'm missing something. And sure enough I was, see below.

Btw, portal guns are renewable with renewable soul sand, are they not?

You missed a few TF bosses, you could just list them as a generic "boss drops". Although you can repair the Minotaur Axe in the anvil with diamonds. But Minoshroom also drops some Meef Stroganoff which doesn't have other sources. And the scepters dropped by Liches are also rechargeable.

Not in the game yet but will be in 1.5: Nether Quartz and everything crafted from it.[DOUBLEPOST=1360800381][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lilypads are also renewable via water bees. They use them as their flower and will thus spread them.
Oh wow, shows that I have not fiddled with bees yet. I was wondering if they spreaded the flowers they use. So adding flowers to the Forestry config would cause bees that require "Flowers" to spread them?

fyj

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it's quite that simple - bees that need redstone torches don't spawn more redstone torches, nor do rock bees result in massive amounts of stone everywhere... it's not implicit in needing the flower but a lot of bees do spread their specific flower :)

Speaking of bees, princesses are technically a non-renewable resource (even if stupidly plentiful) aren't they? And I'd probably say silverwood saplings from thaumcraft are non-renewable given you average less than 1 per grown tree (Meaning if you keep planting & cutting down you'll eventually run out).

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow, shows that I have not fiddled with bees yet. I was wondering if they spreaded the flowers they use. So adding flowers to the Forestry config would cause bees that require "Flowers" to spread them?

Yes, I've added indigo flowers to forestry config and bees do indeed spread them. However, if I'm not mistaken, bees *only* spread actual flowers, regardless of what they require in the area to do their work. Sure would be nice if they spread the thing they require, though; you could make more dragon eggs with ender bees that way!

You technically can make crystals by over-charging nodes, but it's a long process.

Those are Thaumcraft crystals - sounds like Abdiel was talking about Mystcraft crystals, which are something else entirely.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
You can always make reneweable princesses from the non-renewable ones though... I wonder if that counts (although they do expire).

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
So are

Those are thaumcraft crystals

And can someone please explain how princesses are non-renewable? I thought you got one every time a queen bee dies.

People mean you only have as many princesses as you originally harvest from hives. If you were somehow to lose all your hives and all except 1 princess, you would be stuck with 1 princess.

Unless of course you used a Swarmer block but those princesses eventually die off.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Princesses are recycleable, but not renewable.
Renewability would imply collection until infinity (for reality-implementable approximations of infinity), but you can't produce extra princesses.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
What if we thought of princesses as a pickaxe? Picks can be repaired, but not duplicated (two from one), same thing with princesses. Maybe the scepters from Twilight Forest would follow this rule? Rechargeable (with a drone or some rotten flesh), but not infinite.[DOUBLEPOST=1360802747][/DOUBLEPOST]Renewable means to replenish or resupply, recover, replace, or restore

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/renewable?s=t
I think that anything rechargeable can count, a princess is like an empty battery. Instead of using energy, they use drones as their "energy" source. They then turn into a fully charged battery, a queen, which starts using energy to produce combs. When it's empty, you'll get 1 uncharged battery.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
We should stick to the mods we have in basic Mindcrack and direwolf, so everything Gregtech UU matter makes is on, but direwolf's inability to renew Crystals is also on.
But I will keep amber on the non-renewable list because that mod isn't a part of these two packs (even though it probably should).
Thaumic Bees will be in the next release of Direwolf20 pack.

fyj

Jul 29, 2019
What if we thought of princesses as a pickaxe? Picks can be repaired, but not duplicated (two from one), same thing with princesses. Maybe the scepters from Twilight Forest would follow this rule? Rechargeable (with a drone or some rotten flesh), but not infinite.
Well technically pickaxes you can get infinite of because wood is unlimited and so is cobblestone, so if you want you can make as many pickaxes as you want.

But yeah, technically "renewable" is true for princesses because you don't necessarily use them up unless you choose to, but they're not "infinite". But by that same definition though, Dragon Eggs are a renewable resource so long as you don't destroy it ;)

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Well technically pickaxes you can get infinite of because wood is unlimited and so is cobblestone, so if you want you can make as many pickaxes as you want.

But yeah, technically "renewable" is true for princesses because you don't necessarily use them up unless you choose to, but they're not "infinite". But by that same definition though, Dragon Eggs are a renewable resource so long as you don't destroy it ;)
I think "sustainable" is better terminology for what we're after. Anything that you can produce at least as much as you use. So really it depends on what you're using it for, I suppose.