New Thermal Expansion functionality/item: Tesseracts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Added: New Blocks: Tesseracts! (Item, Liquid, and Energy). Use these to make the issue of A to B less daunting. Any/all of these can absolutely be disabled entirely.

Ok, what is Tessaracts and what is it used for?

Here's what the site has to say:

Tesseracts can teleport items to anywhere in the world, or other worlds, from anywhere!
Tesseracts are 4 Dimensional Objects
When placing them you are placing the shadow of a tesseract

http://thermalexpansion.wikispaces.com/Tesseracts

Sounds like it can be an interesting sub for some basic builds requiring to move stuff around.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
oh god.... I might have to go with a fully MJ power system. Wireless power grid would to awesome.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Woo hoo! Now I can have back my power teleport pipes! Plus pretty much all the other teleport pipes.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
oh hell yeah, tesseracts are going to be fun. and I have a reason to set up another magma crucible and liquid transposer!

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Teleport pipes, with all the ridiculousness included. Looking forward to disabling them all.

Reactions: Yeti

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
So far, Tesseracts look to cleave closer to the original ideal of teleport pipes. That is, they are a method of transporting items, liquid, and energy long distances without keeping hundreds of chunks loaded in between for no purpose other than your pipeline. Speaking as a server admin, this is a very helpful contrivance. Speaking from a play balance point of view, you can achieve the same effect for similar resource investment with ender chests. The obvious outlier is the power tesseract, which requires more effort and some fancy turtle work to ship redstone energy cells about.

Tesseracts don't add any capabilities that are not already available in every modpack that includes Thermal Expansion.

Reactions: Greyed

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Giving everyone on your server a quantum generator wouldn't add any new capabilities either, as it is possible to create a sustainable power source without it. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

(Just to clarify, I am not trying to compare in any way teleport pipes to handing out admin tools.)

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Teleport pipes, with all the ridiculousness included. Looking forward to disabling them all.

Absolutely! The changelog for TE even emphasizes this fact. ;) We know they aren't for everyone, and that's fine. Disable away by all means. We're investigating adding some sort of energy requirement but want to keep it non-ridiculous both logistically and numerically. So we'll see.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with energy requirements is that it can be easily satisfied by a power teleport pipe. Possibly scale the requirement with distance, so that moving items between machines is relatively cheap, but hauling the output of a quarry from the other side of the world would quickly deplete even a full cell?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah unfortunately distance calculation (as cool as it is) presents a logistical problem - every tesseract needs to have a table knowing the pre-calculated distance to every other tesseract, to avoid stupid amounts of computation.

Which hey, that's great - it's constant, so you never have to worry about it, never have to recalculate. And then frames happened. Frames. Ruin. Everything.

So that's out. We have other idears. (not a typo)

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Energy Tesseracts already lose 25% of the power they transmit, that seems like a good enough downside for me.
Then there's also their cost, which is only not a problem if you have Ender farms and EE3.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Love the Tesseracts. Nice end game item, as I assume Ender Pearls are needed to make Liquid End (wasn't clear on the wiki last night), and I assume around 10 pearls per tesseract. Quite expensive until you have a farm in the end, or a soul shard system. Not a quick thing.

Love the GUI, being able to name frequencies, and setting private or public. Fully support the 25% default energy cost to transmit power through them.

Some ideas. Power cost across dimensions should be higher, within the same dimension, lower. So while yes you can teleport power across dimensions, it's more effective to get a power station built in that dimension.
Apart from the Liquid Ender cost, the blocks themselves seem cheap, IIRC, it's mainly tin for the base component. I fully expected that the Ferrous Ingots and Shiny Ingots to have made an appearance in the recipes.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Love the Tesseracts. Nice end game item, as I assume Ender Pearls are needed to make Liquid End (wasn't clear on the wiki last night), and I assume around 10 pearls per tesseract. Quite expensive until you have a farm in the end, or a soul shard system. Not a quick thing.

Love the GUI, being able to name frequencies, and setting private or public. Fully support the 25% default energy cost to transmit power through them.

Some ideas. Power cost across dimensions should be higher, within the same dimension, lower. So while yes you can teleport power across dimensions, it's more effective to get a power station built in that dimension.
Apart from the Liquid Ender cost, the blocks themselves seem cheap, IIRC, it's mainly tin for the base component. I fully expected that the Ferrous Ingots and Shiny Ingots to have made an appearance in the recipes.
takes 6-7 pearls per tesseract liquid one transport liquids so darn fast MUCH faster then a liquid transposer setup

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Cool. Still expensive, which is great. Just what I love about TE. Perfect level of balance, and providing more "end game" items to help with servers deal with big builds by optimising designs - at a cost.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I like 'em.

Endermen are... well... they're probably the single most obnoxious mob in the game to farm, pre-ender access. Their tendency to teleport away when damaged, spawn rarity, and tendency to vanish when day breaks makes them a royal pain. Thus, I don't really think anyone is going to have too much involved with this until after they've taken down the EnderDragon.

Having said that, this is made of win and awesome. The power loss is quite steep, but entirely fair all things considered. Out of a 144 MJ power plant run by a 36HP boiler, you'd lose 36 MJ's, so you'd be seeing 108 MJ's out of your whole plant. A palpable hit, but considering how this allows you to centralize your power output to even the most remote areas, entirely worth the price.

I don't know how keen I am on requiring power for them to run. Requiring another boiler just to power my power network is going to be rather annoying.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Tess's don't need power to run, as far as I can tell from the wiki and the screenshot examples.