Votes: 72 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 546 88.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I want... you to come up with your own ideas and stop desperately trying to keep up with other modpack designs. Technic launcher came out with private packs, the next week you came out with private packs. Technic launcher gets a godlike new design, you try to redesign your launcher. BTW, some of the new features in technic are coyrighted exclusively to our launcher.
If you are really so impressed by the technic launcher go play with it and leave us alone.
And just a FYI: You can't copyright features only the implementation of the features which allows everyoneelse on this planet to use it and make another different implementation. To protect features/ideas you need a patent.

GamerUnguided

Jul 29, 2019
No offence to the other great designs in this thread but i belive the one antonkudin made has been the best IMO, i tried to design one but when it got closer to the end it looked more like i had tried to rip off his design idea because is what i would look for so kudos to him

OrionEnsisJim

Jul 29, 2019
I would like an option to "autoupdate" certain modpacks so that i don't have to go through the update screen after i hit the launch button to "check" for updates.

lukeb28

Jul 29, 2019
some of the new features in technic are coyrighted exclusively to our launcher.
Hey! Lets calm down and not make false statements. Everyone knows that copyright in the world of minecraft modding mean nothing legally. In the debate I was in on our [Technic] forums this was outlined and was my main point. If Slowpoke wants to start leaving his ethics that he clung to so powerfully when all the anti-Technic started up so be it. We need to be indifferent and let him do what he wants. Let's just play in our part of the yard and let them build sandcastles the same as ours on their side.
You can't copyright features only the implementation of the features which allows every one else on this planet to use it and make another different implementation. To protect features/ideas you need a patent.
Not even. You cannot get any kind of copyright for this kind of thing no matter how hard you try.

KilllerGnats

Jul 29, 2019
i like the launcher to have a button to set up the mods for weak computer and dont have much lag plz and not all people can play with the mods if there is too many in play that will lag them badly

Cman333

Jul 29, 2019
maybe when you click on a pack it has a selection that drops down from it that includes texture packs, maps, configs(once it's implemented), and edit modpack.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I would really love the ability to choose the "current" launcher, if it's possible. Could name it something like "retro design" or something else similar to that. I really like the current design, everything is easy to find and each category has its own space

Cman333

Jul 29, 2019
I would really love the ability to choose the "current" launcher, if it's possible. Could name it something like "retro design" or something else similar to that. I really like the current design, everything is easy to find and each category has its own space
the op already says that it will be an option

gooplux6

Jul 29, 2019
i would like to see (yes i know its complicated but it i think would be awsome.
1: custom color schemes. being able to change the colors to your liking. like grey background to black background, and orange text to gold text.

2: when you scroll over a tab at the top it grows upward

3: the abilaty to make new modpacks and name them. on creation they come with forge.

DeathByNukes

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever you do, make it resizable and otherwise not really hard to read the modpack info like it is now. Different tabs in the modpack info for things like changelogs and an exact list of what mods are in it (with the same data as the edit modpack button) would be nice.

RE: previous posts
I, for one, think that custom colors and skins on a launcher would be silly. It's not like you're going to be looking at the launcher the whole time you're playing the game.

paperlord

Jul 29, 2019
This weekend I've been working on a proposal of my own. Like almost all java programs the current launcher feels clunky and out of place on Mac OS X (a glossy UI is so early 00's ;)). So I tried to come up with some small improvements. Anyway I based the graphical elements on some great looking applications I currently use, so I can't say it's completely original.

When coming back to this thread I saw a lot of what's in my proposal has already been suggested, so feature wise it isn't all too original either. I realise antonkudin's proposal is similar, but than again, a good idea never comes alone. Anyway I still think it gives a nice image of how a good launcher for me would work and feel. I'll give it a shot and post a picture with some description on the different elements. Feel free to comment on the goods and bads, I know there's still a lot of room for improvement.
al6ptt.png

The whole window layout is flexible, which means it can be resized to whatever size people want.
In the sidebar to the left there's the different categories with some room for expansion.
The different categories are:
  1. News feed. (pretty self-explanatory)
  2. Modpacks.
    It's a tile based layout where each tile is completely customisable.
    On first use there will be a default list of modpacks, so first time users aren't too lost.
    More experienced users can start to customise the list, so that only those modpacks they choose to play will be listed; other modpacks can be added through the 'Add Modpack' button, which gives a list of all available modpacks or the option to insert a private modpack.
    Hovering over a tile gives three buttons.
    • Launch: launches the given modpack.
    • Info: shows all relevant information. Like the responsible team, list of mods (with links to the official page and wiki), description (an actual informative one), version numbers (modpack & minecraft),...
    • Edit: gives the ability to tweak and customise the pack. Like adding disabling mods, deleting a tile, account to use with this pack, etc.
  3. Maps.
    Same tile based layout with a list of all available maps.
  4. Texturepacks.
    Same as the above with the ability to add your own TP's to your personal list.
  5. Extra.
    Features/categories the team might want to add.
  6. Accounts.
    Gives the ability to add and set a default account.
    Gives a warning when no default account is set, for first time users.
  7. Settings. (also pretty self-explanatory)
An extra feature which would work wonders for me would be the ability to create a custom script/application which auto-launches a modpack without the need to pass through the launcher. Like this the launcher would just be necessary to set up your modpacks and the custom script.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! so much creativity from people these days, nice layout paperlord. My only feedback would be to make grabbing the server files more convenient in that layout.

DarkDestry

Jul 29, 2019
I think a good feature to add to the launcher is a poke function to poke mod authors to fix a certain critical bug like RP2's dupe bug

Also With all the functionality added to the launcher, i dont think a UI is capable to handle all of that. I have a VERY VERY VERY VERY simple design. Use Command Line. There no design needed

diggerjohn99

Jul 29, 2019
I think a good feature to add to the launcher is a poke function to poke mod authors to fix a certain critical bug like RP2's dupe bug

Also With all the functionality added to the launcher, i dont think a UI is capable to handle all of that. I have a VERY VERY VERY VERY simple design. Use Command Line. There no design needed
And they would be spammed to the point of not even being able to use their computers.

Reactions: OmegaPython

paperlord

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks VikeStep, that's a good comment, didn't think about it. (not a server owner myself ;))
I would put a link or button inside the info or edit panel, which pops up if you press on the info or edit button from a tile.
This is, of course, by assuming that most of the users are like me and they aren't server owners, so downloading the server isn't as important for most users. If a big part of the users actually are server owners, it's indeed smart to put such a button more visible.
I'm still thinking on how to best implement an info or edit pane. But when I've got one, I'll try to post it here.

Zeroskillz4

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick suggestion, perhaps have two tabs for mod packs. One being 'official' like say tech world and one 'user made content'. Upon clicking 'user made content' you would have various filters such as smp/ssp, and a preferred mods tab that searches based on mods that are selected. Oh and a search bar of course. In creating a modpack you would have a selection of mods you'd like (being ones that give ftb perm), enter a name & ftb account details (so only one custom modpack per person). Wouldn't be to hard to host as your not technically hosting the modpacks but the individual mods.

CedricMorrissey

Jul 29, 2019
I love the look of the current launcher but:

-I think installing the mods is fairly simple, especially since a lot of people use Optifine
however, I think adding a mod search bar would be a good addition.
*For example if one wants to add Relequary, they can search it and a link will show up to the best place to download it.
Because for me the hardest part of adding a mod, is searching for it.

Also, I really like the idea of custom skins that people can download via a website OR the launcher, sort of like Mozilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.