Nether changes... ridiculous!

JamZam1

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone.

So, I have a friend who owns a server running the Monster modpack. In this modpack, whenever you touch any ore in the nether, the pigmen starts attacking you. This results in you having to attack them, resulting in more pigmen attacking you (observe - infinite loop there). So basically, the nether is turned into a giant deathfest and leaving the pigmen to be the most dangerous mob in the game now. Also, it leads to me dying from trying to get some bloody quartz. Yeah, I died 4 times yesterday from trying to get quartz. I mean, it's quartz! It's supposed to be easy to get damnit! So, long story short after the 4th death I ragequit cause I didn't feel like recreating all my tinker's construct tools again.

So here's my question to you guys, what mod adds this to the pack and what the hell was whoever added it thinking?! It's a stupid mod, it requires you to have something like a jetpack to really stand a good chance against the pigmen... so it's horrible for beginners, anybody who's running in there with just some descent tinkers tools and iron armor is headed towards certain death, if he or she is planning on touching any ores that is.

And let me clarify, with "certain death" I mean in 4/5 cases the person will loose everything he or she is holding.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Pigmen aren't really that big of a threat if you plan for it. The trick is not to try to attack the whole pack at once. Pick one off to one side, kill it quickly. Then back up and handle the resulting mob of pigmen one at a time. There is usually no more than 4 or 5 at a time, if there is situation where there is find another spot. The Nether if dull of quartz, you should be able to pick and choose your battle easy. Hell, you should be able to find a spot without any pigmen at all.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I agree generally that the premise of nether ores is stupid.
Its easy to disable however, both in nether ores config, and just by disabling the mod entirely.
It is also easy to plan for - dont mine near your nether portal / in the open unless you can fly and/or are well armored. Otherwise, make a 20m+ long tunnel and THEN start mining.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I mean, technically you're the culprit stealing their nether quartz. After all, they live in the place. It's their home. I know I would be mad if someone mined up all my stuff and took it away. But yeah, the mod is nether ores, but as others stated, it's super easy to kill the pigmen through luring. You can also use bat morph to just fly over them and pick them off or mine quartz in the walls and ceiling.

Reactions: kaiomann

JamZam1

Jul 29, 2019
Pigmen aren't really that big of a threat if you plan for it. The trick is not to try to attack the whole pack at once. Pick one off to one side, kill it quickly. Then back up and handle the resulting mob of pigmen one at a time. There is usually no more than 4 or 5 at a time, if there is situation where there is find another spot. The Nether if dull of quartz, you should be able to pick and choose your battle easy. Hell, you should be able to find a spot without any pigmen at all.

Let me explain how this game works, when you're looking for ores in the nether, you're probably gonna be hanging around for a while. When you do this, pigmen will spawn. You can kill them, but they will keep spawning. Especially if you try to move to a new area, there will be more than in the last because they spawn a certain distance away from you. Atleast, that's what keep happening for me. I've used the "box technique", I've picked them off one by one, killed every last one of them I could see from whatever corner I picked them off from. So I run for the quartz that I was looking at a minute ago, and wooptidoo there's 10 more pigmen spawned right behind me. That's my problem, pigmen NEVER go away and if they are constantly attacking you, well, you're screwed without a jetpack or something of the sorts.

Why? I think it's a great idea.

It doesn't make any sense. Why is it a great idea?

Edit:

I should also say, I refuse using the bat morph. It's way too OP and it's really the only mod I just will not use, at all. I used to use it, ended up making the game so easy, to the point where I could be half asleep and still beat the ender dragon without really making an effort. At that point, something needs to be removed or changed. In this case, the morph mod.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nether ores pigmen aggro makes total sense; so does the Nether actually being a tiny bit dangerous. I dislike it anyway.

Reactions: YX33A

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
They're not -that- deadly. I mean more than 2 can get really rough, but just play smart around them.
Also, don't go down there under-armed; get yourself a minimum of steel armor, enchant it if possible, and get a good sword. Once you get to the nether build a safehouse around your portal. If you're still having trouble handling pigmen, bring a Steel hammer with you and mine underground instead of on the surface of the nether.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
They're not -that- deadly. I mean more than 2 can get really rough, but just play smart around them.
Also, don't go down there under-armed; get yourself a minimum of steel armor, enchant it if possible, and get a good sword. Once you get to the nether build a safehouse around your portal. If you're still having trouble handling pigmen, bring a Steel hammer with you and mine underground instead of on the surface of the nether.
I really think the armor thing in particular is good advice. Mods like monster have absurd armor options which can render you pretty resistent to pigmen in the early-midgame.

JamZam1

Jul 29, 2019

Good tips, I might have been raging a bit in my post here without really thinking about it too much :p

So, yeah, you can survive the pigmen. And yeah maybe it makes sense for them to be mad at you for taking their stuff. But then again, I still stand by my statement that the threat pigmen makes in this modpack is pretty ridiculous. I feel like it would make sense if you'd lower the spawnrate of pigmen. I mean you can really fight through a pack of 10 pigmen fine but once you're through that you're gonna be facing 20 more if you're in any open-ish area. And with open-ish I mean this even happens in nether caves. Maybe I've just been unlucky? I don't know, but I tried 4 times yesterday and ended up just quitting the game because I knew I had no chance to get back from that, keep trying = keep dying at that point.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Good tips, I might have been raging a bit in my post here without really thinking about it too much :p

So, yeah, you can survive the pigmen. And yeah maybe it makes sense for them to be mad at you for taking their stuff. But then again, I still stand by my statement that the threat pigmen makes in this modpack is pretty ridiculous. I feel like it would make sense if you'd lower the spawnrate of pigmen. I mean you can really fight through a pack of 10 pigmen fine but once you're through that you're gonna be facing 20 more if you're in any open-ish area. And with open-ish I mean this even happens in nether caves. Maybe I've just been unlucky? I don't know, but I tried 4 times yesterday and ended up just quitting the game because I knew I had no chance to get back from that, keep trying = keep dying at that point.
If you're mining underground in the nether for quartz and find a cave, wall it off and go a different direction. If you want to mine in the open, make sure you have a way of getting around quickly, (I personally use bat morph ONLY for this situation: early game and trying to get some quartz).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're mining underground in the nether for quartz and find a cave, wall it off and go a different direction. If you want to mine in the open, make sure you have a way of getting around quickly
But but but mining for quartz is so bleh when the open space is filthy with it :p

Maybe it would be cool if pissed off pigmen didn't trigger a swarm when you defended yourself.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
more irritating for me is two things
1) random explosions, especially when in a tunnel.
2) do blazes spawn naturally in this MC version?
and other than randomly walking around, how do I find a bloody fortress?

and yes, I agree nether quartz shouldn't be affected by the nether ores changes.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

and yes, I agree nether quartz shouldn't be affected by the nether ores changes.
Same as always; walk either east or west until you hit one or a bridge, then go north or south until you hit a big one. Really, it's nothing new or even strange, this is just oldhat news.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019

1) is still nether ores or it may be firebats.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019

1. Still Nether Ores.
2. Um, of course. Otherwise how would we get blaze rods...?
3. What XY33A said above.

Vircomore

Jul 29, 2019
Another helpful hint for avoiding Pigman Aggro - although not as early-game as some of the other suggestions:

1. Start Thaumcraft 4.
2. Craft a nice wand, and charge it up off of some nodes.
3. Craft the Wand Focus of Equal Trade.
4. Shift-rightclick on cobble and bring a few stacks with you.

5. Profit. You can now "Mine" the Nether Ores with Equal Trade, and the Equal Trade effect bypasses both the Pigman trigger and the explosive trigger.