More on Microsoft's MC plans

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Can we try to stay on topic and not derail this? Thanks.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
damn, I forgot about that.... gotta buy a new car....
but
84bf888009f996d12391533c9c5891e75695e4a9c0913153344e2281fff7b782.jpg

but aren't we on topic?

Not really, no.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
ok, that wasn't on topic....

but that's just 2 posts, the rest is pretty serious mate

and begin a little pessimist - you're offtopic now!

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Still tempted to see if, one day, I could make something...kinda sorta but not totally really at all similar to Minecraft using either C++ or C#, if only to see how much better I can do than Mojang. A little friendly competition, ya know? I know there's ways to do it, just gotta find 'em.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Still tempted to see if, one day, I could make something...kinda sorta but not totally really at all similar to Minecraft using either C++ or C#, if only to see how much better I can do than Mojang. A little friendly competition, ya know? I know there's ways to do it, just gotta find 'em.
Alternatively, you could make a legitimate, uniquely themed video game which also uses a voxel-based building system. It's possible have blocks AND be a unique game. :p

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively, you could make a legitimate, uniquely themed video game which also uses a voxel-based building system. It's possible have blocks AND be a unique game. :p
You'd end up like Cube World, basically forgotten. Besides, my original plans had a lot of unique components (including a far, far greater scale), as well as more content out of the box, an actual scripting system for the creation of user content, as well as non-block voxel building, smoothing out the base map using the Marching Cubes algorithm. Even have around here, somewhere, the ideas for various spells (was planned to have both magic and tech) to do things like climb sheer cliffs and hang on ceilings, as well as monsters that have their own, unique attributes...instead of having what amounts to "melee zombie, bow zombie, exploding zombie, climbing zombie." Things like vampires that actually burn (and light other things on fire) in sunlight, but possess superhuman speed, can climb vertical surfaces, and have something resembling intelligence, using verticality to get the jump on unsuspecting players. Bosses that are actually cool to fight, like a giant the size of a mountain (Surtur himself) that can set whole mountain ranges on fire. Experience that's actually useful for something (purchasing talents).

Basically, a game that doesn't feel like a decent base game filled with a bunch of vestigial leftovers.

Reactions: ChemE

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well there are already a lot of Minecraft clones, but well none of them is as popular as Minecraft itself.
Even I have made a very basic foundation for a voxel engine in C++. But well, as it is now its code is probably not better than Minecraft's.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Well there are already a lot of Minecraft clones, but well none of them is as popular as Minecraft itself.
Even I have made a very basic foundation for a voxel engine in C++. But well, as it is now its code is probably not better than Minecraft's.

Because most of them are crap. A good one is 7 days to die, altough it's not reasonable famous because they still need to add a lot of content.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It likely lacked optimization. That's another thing I focus on...hell, that's like, a third of the work I do in my actual job, outside fixing bugs. Bytecode languages like Java and C# can be very performant, when used properly. Think I even read stats that C#, as of .Net 4.0, was only slightly less efficient than equivalent C++ code. Ya know what? Might actually see if I can't find a voxel engine that does marching cubes that I can futz around with. Hell, with .Net's interop libraries, I don't think it even needs to be .Net. Know what? I'm gonna go do that, I'm curious, now.

Reactions: Renato Lopes

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You know, many people still learn Java from school, which is not going away anytime soon (although we all wished it would)...

And it's not like they're making any money from it. Java is a programming language, not an OS.

Microsoft has stated many times that the MC acquisition was primarily for education purposes. Those purposes include getting kids involved in programming at an early age.

The sooner Microsoft propels "MC++" up the popularity charts the more classes in school will be taught using Visual Studio, free for schools and individuals.

The main reason I think people oppose Microsoft is the whole "Corporate Giant" thing. They don't take into account that Java was developed (by SUN Microsystems) on and for Unix, the big OS on the block before Windows.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The main reason I think people oppose Microsoft is the whole "Corporate Giant" thing. They don't take into account that Java was developed (by SUN Microsystems) on and for Unix, the big OS on the block before Windows.
And people were making a similar fuss when Sun was acquired by Oracle. That's why MariaDB was forked off MySQL.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
It likely lacked optimization. That's another thing I focus on...hell, that's like, a third of the work I do in my actual job, outside fixing bugs. Bytecode languages like Java and C# can be very performant, when used properly. Think I even read stats that C#, as of .Net 4.0, was only slightly less efficient than equivalent C++ code. Ya know what? Might actually see if I can't find a voxel engine that does marching cubes that I can futz around with. Hell, with .Net's interop libraries, I don't think it even needs to be .Net. Know what? I'm gonna go do that, I'm curious, now.

Hey, I actually respect that. That's one of the main reasons I can play hl2 at 30fps+, more even if I wanted (And that's the only game I know of I can do that). So yeah I respect valve taking more time on games because of optimization.

People who think I said that can't argue with me, what will go about your 200fps on CS:GO compared to 60 on Mad Max?

Microsoft has stated many times that the MC acquisition was primarily for education purposes. Those purposes include getting kids involved in programming at an early age.

The sooner Microsoft propels "MC++" up the popularity charts the more classes in school will be taught using Visual Studio, free for schools and individuals.

And do you think windows 10 being free was just to "help people" uh?

And people were making a similar fuss when Sun was acquired by Oracle. That's why MariaDB was forked off MySQL.

Heh

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Hey, I actually respect that. That's one of the main reasons I can play hl2 at 30fps+, more even if I wanted (And that's the only game I know of I can do that). So yeah I respect valve taking more time on games because of optimization.

People who think I said that can't argue with me, what will go about your 200fps on CS:GO compared to 60 on Mad Max?

And do you think windows 10 being free was just to "help people" uh?

Heh

Back in the 80s when I was a Unix System Admin AT&T and BSD (Berkeley Software Development) had a stranglehold on Unix licenses for many thousands of dollars. Sun Microsystems built one of the first complete 16-bit (and later 32 bit) computer systems (68000 based) and bought a permanent BSD license, bringing Unix to the desktop very cheaply.

Now you can get various distros of both AT&T (Linux) and BSD Unix for free or nearly so. You can even get a free copy of SUN's "last" Unix distro, called Solaris (BSD based), for Intel-based systems... it is still maintained and updated periodically. I still run Solaris on my 2002 Sony laptop, and will probably put the latest release on my 2009 Atom-based HP Netbook (currently running Win 10) this year after the TV tuner software to replace Media Center becomes available and I can update my desktop.

Does it really surprise you that Microsoft is allowing a year of free updates to Windows 10 after they only charged $40 to update from Win 7 to 8, seeing how that seems to be the trend for major Operating Systems? They're also trying to put a dent into OS piracy right now, you know...

The only thing that surprises me is that Apple basically customized a public domain OS (BSD Unix) and gets away with charging for it.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that surprises me is that Apple basically customized a public domain OS (BSD Unix) and gets away with charging for it.
It may not be justifiable to rant at Microsoft for being huge and evil, but Apple is another story. They modified a bunch of free, open source stuff, and now they're making gajillions of dollars. They also hide all internal functions on mobile devices - you can't view the folder hierarchy, or delete save files directly, or even back stuff up. That, combined with the fact that you can't put your own software on those mobile devices reduces their usefulness, dependent on how "techy" you are. Not being able to do something unless someone else has already programmed something to do that for you is huge - to me, that stops it from actually being a "personal" computer.

That said, at least their developer tools are open source now, even if you still have to pay to get something onto the app store. Maybe they'll stop being evil eventually.

On topic: uh... [Insert comment on how people overreacting to anything Microsoft does are not justified]

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

TBH framerates over 60 are kind of a waste unless your monitor's refresh rate can actually display that. I'd rather have bug free and 60 FPS than buggy and 200+ FPS.