More on Microsoft's MC plans

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I saw this article this morning and decided to share:

http://fortune.com/2015/09/04/microsoft-not-making-minecraft-2-0/

[Edit] Sorry for the mini-necro here... I just saw that apparently IOS and Android versions of "MC++" have been updated today. This means Win10 MC beta, IOS, Android and Windows phone MCPE can play with Win10 and xbox players.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/09/games-minecraft-pocket-edition-and-win10-edition-update

There are a few discrepancies in the various articles... I had read that when it was released a pc player could play a lan game with up to 7 others on pc or xbox, but that now appears to have ben limited to 5. One article (not quoted) reported that xbox compatibility was not yet ready and questionable(?).

Things are happening... The player base is expanding, folks!

Last edited:

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they optimize the game better than mojang did. Also, dual welding, I don't like that for vanilla.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I hope they optimize the game better than mojang did. Also, dual welding, I don't like that for vanilla.
A) It runs on C++ (that's why they're calling it "MC++" :p), so it'll run a bit faster to begin with. Plus, yeah, they'll optimize it better. Personally, I hope they also put some optimization pressure on Mojang for Javacraft (only I call it that, but whatever) as well.
B) They're probably going to put dual wielding in the other editions at some point, I think. Non-java versions have effectively been just behind Javacraft since they were first created; I don't think that that will change now (although it might).

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
wait they're making a MC++ (as you call it?) LOL!

But that also means less modding for it, since a lot of people jst learned java because of minecraft.

And the java guys themselves will be pissed lololo

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
From the look of things I'd say features are going into "MC++" faster than into "Javacraft", to use your terms. For example, the new "Packed Dirt" path is already in MC++, and while it currently is included in Javacraft 1.9, 1.9 is still just a snapshot.

I think we'll see a concentrated effort to get all the supported platforms onto the same build of MC++, coincidentally creating a multiplatform capable environment, before we start seeing the convergence of MC++ and Javacraft. This may start after 1.9 is released or even after "1.10" comes out.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

But that also means less modding for it, since a lot of people jst learned java because of minecraft.

MC++ has already existed for a couple of years... It is still called MC Pocket Edition on all the tablets and phones, and is the same code base running on all the gaming consoles. It has always been written in C++ and in fact the C++ version of the code has resulted in improvements to the Java code base, simplifying block rendering among other improvements.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
so thats why the graphics are different....

still I don't see why mc++ don't have shaders....

The most probable reason for that is the limitations placed by hardware...While consoles are somewhat close to pcs in terms of CPU/GPU capabilities and RAM/mass storage capacity and tablets are slowly getting there, I doubt you'll see many phones with enough ram and/or storage for shaders any time soon and they want to keep the standard feature set common to all devices for cross-compatibility.

Having said that, it's probably good that most shaders are client sided.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
The most probable reason for that is the limitations placed by hardware...While consoles are somewhat close to pcs in terms of CPU/GPU capabilities and RAM/mass storage capacity and tablets are slowly getting there, I doubt you'll see many phones with enough ram and/or storage for shaders any time soon and they want to keep the standard feature set common to all devices for cross-compatibility.

Having said that, it's probably good that most shaders are client sided.

xDDDDD I'm not that kind of guy hoping to play witcher 3 on a smartphone
still... (Yes, I mean
iBuyPower]

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
MSFT is following the most basic rule: Thou shalt not screw with the revenue stream. I am sure if/when Mojang stumbles they will step in.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019

You know, many people still learn Java from school, which is not going away anytime soon (although we all wished it would)...

And it's not like they're making any money from it. Java is a programming language, not an OS.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You know, many people still learn Java from school, which is not going away anytime soon (although we all wished it would)...

And it's not like they're making any money from it. Java is a programming language, not an OS.
They don't make money from java, but they do make money when people play MC, want to make a mod, learn Java, progress beyond modding, get hired by MSFT, and do work for them. :p

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
And yeah, minecraft is probably one of the only things that keep Java Alive & Kicking
yeah, I did a reference to a non-minecraft mod. So what? I really like portal and portal 2...

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
damn, I forgot about that.... gotta buy a new car....
but
84bf888009f996d12391533c9c5891e75695e4a9c0913153344e2281fff7b782.jpg

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I love how it says "We just released a Windows 10 Edition beta, which marks the first time you can play across different platforms" - of course Java can't be used across different platforms :p

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
at microsoft headquarters

Yes, install the windows 10 minecraft edition. We promise a lot, but we need to know a lot, can we? From our perspective this don't sound too bad

Lol uh sound like illuminati

Do I? Muahmuamhuamhuaha