Monster, Horizons, and Magic World 2 Updates (1/28/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Go ask the mod devs. They will tell you default configs are balanced against only vanilla. Thats why they give config options. So that their mods can be adjusted to not invalidate a different mod.

Some modders would tell you they don't want their mod balance changed by anyone and configs are only for end users personal changes, other modders actively balance against each other much to a lot of peoples annoyance (Railcraft, Forestry, IC2, ect.) if they don't use the other mods. I've never heard one say they put the configs in so a modpack maker could just change things to what they thought was fair, as a experienced user of some of the mods I could tell you a lot of them really aren't needed or were flat out bad ideas.

E.G; Look at the Big Reactor's change here, 66% power increase. Why. It was fine as it was and I say that as someone who actively pursues the easiest power sources maintainable. My Big Reactors were producing almost 10000RF before this change, now they got so much power output I don't even know what to do with it all. I could run quarries as far as the eye can see with 16600RF. I could pull up so much fuel with all those quarries my reactors could run until the day the sun burned out.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Some modders would tell you they don't want their mod balance changed by anyone and configs are only for end users personal changes, other modders actively balance against each other much to a lot of peoples annoyance (Railcraft, Forestry, IC2, ect.) if they don't use the other mods. I've never heard one say they put the configs in so a modpack maker could just change things to what they thought was fair, as a experienced user of some of the mods I could tell you a lot of them really aren't needed or were flat out bad ideas.

E.G; Look at the Big Reactor's change here, 66% power increase. Why. It was fine as it was and I say that as someone who actively pursues the easiest power sources maintainable. My Big Reactors were producing almost 10000RF before this change, now they got so much power output I don't even know what to do with it all. I could run quarries as far as the eye can see with 16600RF. I could pull up so much fuel with all those quarries my reactors could run until the day the sun burned out.

Then either create or find and use a pack that doesn't make changes... I can't think of any public packs on any of the 3 launchers that doesn't... but good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

I think you're getting the wrong idea about modpacks... they're not just an easy way to download a bunch of mods. they're also for playing a modded minecraft in how others think how you should play it.
and seriously, if mod developers did not want modpack creators to change their configurations, they would never allow their mods to be added in modpacks or would just not add configuration options for their mods.
if you disagree with changes, you can either keep playing an old version, reconfigure the new configuration files, or just go create your own modlist.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're getting the wrong idea about modpacks... they're not just an easy way to download a bunch of mods. they're also for playing a modded minecraft in how others think how you should play it.
and seriously ... if you disagree with changes, you can either keep playing an old version, reconfigure the new configuration files, or just go create your own modlist.

That was the plan, take Monster add default universal configs and tada 'Plain Monster Pack' was born.

if mod developers did not want modpack creators to change their configurations, they would never allow their mods to be added in modpacks or would just not add configuration options for their mods.

Eh.. Didn't recently Mojang just establish that the modders had no say over anything and if anyone wanted their mod in their modpack or to change something then thems the breaks? They can't do anything, but go gregg and sabotage stuff.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
That was the plan, take Monster add default universal configs and tada 'Plain Monster Pack' was born.

Eh.. Didn't recently Mojang just establish that the modders had no say over anything and if anyone wanted their mod in their modpack or to change something then thems the breaks? They can't do anything, but go gregg and sabotage stuff.

Have fun.

And no they didn't, but if this Convo starts again people will get smacked by ban hammers. It can go to MCF or reddit. Not here.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually pretty curious about the logic behind the constant nerfs to Magic Crops in FTB packs. I'm fine with changing the configs myself to where I want them, I just don't really understand why you guys seem to be so dead-set on nerfing it when I can name several other mods in the pack, off the top of my head, which can do pretty much everything it does faster and better (bees, laser drills, mob grinders, anyone?)

I do realize that Magic Crops is a bit of an earlier-game option than most of the other mods with similar effect, but it doesn't really produce too many resources early on; you need a fair bit of essence to get a reasonable amount of anything, and significant production of anything takes up a huge amount of land. A quarry powered by a couple of steam engines is faster to set up, run and delivers more resources.

So, yeah. Kind of wondering what I'm missing here, since obviously I am missing something.

::EDIT:: n.b. I do recognize that with the sort of automation available in any pack with at least TC4 for golems, the default configs are far too powerful.

Last edited:

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Seems I put in the wrong config. I'll be hotfixing this, along with a Rotarycraft Hotfix sometime later tonight.

I take it this hotfix was not released yet? As I just created 2 worlds with ATG world gen and both biomes o plenty and highlands enabled. Which resulted in near endless Rocky Steppe biomes with very few others.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Magical Crops
  • Disabled ability to get Essence Seeds
-----------
Why.

MineFactory Reloaded
  • Increased Auto Spawner cost in exact and standard mode
Advanced Genetics
  • Increased Energy Usage from 2000 to 4000
------------
Ok... Why is FTB doing mod balancing, the mod makers should be responsible for all balance not FTB. It's getting really annoying undoing/tracking lots of changes to the configs that increase with every single version of Monster that shouldn't have been changed in the first place to go back to what the mod makers have their settings at.

How can mods be responsible for balance if they don't know what other mods you are adding?

FtB, who put the modpacks together do know what other mods are there and are in a better position to balance them.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Magical Crops in its current incarnation can't be balanced for most modpack environments. With no tech tree, no progression, no significant infrastructure requirements there isn't much to work with in terms of balancing. On top of that the config options are universal, not per plant type. Perhaps you don't want players able to grow Exp just as fast as they grow Dirt---just an example(you can make an insane Exp farm with Magical Crops, btw.)

Can't blame the FTB team for trying, though. :)

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I take it this hotfix was not released yet? As I just created 2 worlds with ATG world gen and both biomes o plenty and highlands enabled. Which resulted in near endless Rocky Steppe biomes with very few others.

Someone already said to go into ATG config and change TemperatureNoiseControl to 1.0 instead of 0.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm but wait a second, you can't craft essence seeds, if you take the drop rate of it out, how are we supposed to get essence seeds then? The spawn rate of essence ore isn't exactly that great and i would need to constantly run a a quarry to get enough to make a farm but by then i would not even need any magical seeds anymore...

Also what is going on with Emery ores, why the spawn rate of it is so big when you barely need any?

Last edited:

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm but wait a second, you can't craft essence seeds, if you take the drop rate of it out, how are we supposed to get essence seeds then? The spawn rate of essence ore isn't exactly that great and i would need to constantly run a a quarry to get enough to make a farm but by then i would not even need any magical seeds anymore...

Also what is going on with Emery ores, why the spawn rate of it is so big when you barely need any?
You can find a fair amount of essence ore in the nether... it seems more common there than in the overworld.

I would think that once the dupe bug is squashed, they'd be likely to re-enable the essence seed crafting. That's just my opinion, of course. If they don't, I plan on re-enabling it myself... once it's fixed.

DrRedstoneCreep

Jul 29, 2019
You made David Tennant sad...
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

But still, keep it up! Excited to see the day when everything is out of beta!

Rozarik

Jul 29, 2019
I bet 10 billion diamonds that the issue with the Carpenter's Blocks mod was the daylight sensor. I had added Carpenter's Blocks to my horizon pack a long time ago, however there was a massive issue with it that I was unable to solve. That was until I eliminated all possible problems to the daylight sensor, which for some reason would cause most of the mod's blocks, and some other mod's blocks, to go completely invisible in NEI. It would also cause the game to crash when trying to access blocks and items from Carpenter's Blocks through the vanilla Minecraft creative inventory tab.

The only way I was able to resolve the issue was by editing the config file for Carpenter's Blocks and preventing the initialization of the Daylight Sensor (turning it to false). After that, everything worked fine. However, if it's possible, I would immensely appreciate some details on the issue you were having with the Carpenter's Blocks mod with the modpack and how you fixed it.

And keep up the good work, all you guys are freak'n awesome!

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
not seeing anything stating the changes made on MF2 from1.1.7 to 1.1.8 here and the changlog site only goes up to 1.1.6.

ARCEUS493ZELDA

Jul 29, 2019
any idea why im unable to install the mods for FTB monster? im using the launcher and have recommended selected yet it just automatically goes straight into vanilla unmodded Minecraft

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
any idea why im unable to install the mods for FTB monster? im using the launcher and have recommended selected yet it just automatically goes straight into vanilla unmodded Minecraft
I'd try switching up your launcher location/install folder.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.