Mojang, give us a break!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

How do you feel about the new Redstone Update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
After a month or 2 of snapshots, poof. Another update. This one will most likely break Redpower again. What are your thoughts on the new update? EDIT: These lines will be filled with user opinions.
Comparator:
Hopper: Pretty useful, transposer/hopper/item unloader/item loader combination, nice texture
Dropper: Pretty necessary, good for mapmakers.
Activator Rail: Railcraft does this better.
Daylight Sensor: Ok, maybe for an alarm.
Trapped Chest: Useless in PvP, look at the red!
Weighed Pressure Plate: Not very useful, not even for mapmakers.
Block of Redstone: Compact Redstone, more space in chests
Craftable Nether Brick:
Nether Quartz:
Quartz Aesthetics:
Nameable Mobs:
Placeable snow layers: Nice aesthetics, useful for traps.

If you have any thoughts on any of these items, or if I missed any features of the prerelease, feel free to say so!
Thanks,
Whizz​
P.S. I know most features of the snapshots, I just want your thoughts, so I can add them to my list!​

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the new update. I just want to see people's thoughts. I have mixed feelings about the fact that it is a redstone update. Good: Finally, something focusing on redstone! Bad: Redpower will probably get really broken.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I think Notch and his team can do whatever he friggen well wants. Neither Redpower nor any other mods would exist if it weren't for him. It sounds to me like they're trying to make the basic foundation more predictable and stable anyway, so I would assume that this could lead to a better Redpower (and anything else) in the future.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, this update shouldn't break redpower any more than it breaks other mods. The reason it took so long to port redpower to 1.4 from 1.2.5 is because of major intenal changes in both Forge and Minecraft. Unless eloraam relied on one of the weird quirky glitches in redstone that are now fixed, there shouldn't be too many problems updating. And if she did rely on those quirks, shame on her.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
I think Mojang has the right idea. I quit vanilla minecraft because it became too boring, with not much complexity. Now Mojang is adding complexity and new features, and more fun. Mods were made to make things easier of better ( or something completely else) Redpower wanted to improve red stone. If Mojang adds improvements to certain features, then people won't have to download mods ( which is great and all, but extremely laggy). Overall they just want to improve the gameplay of minecraft.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Of the new features, only one is of any interest to me... namely, the block of redstone. Finally I can make some room in my storage chests! :p

Most disappointing part of the update is that the new engine hasn't yet made it in. Hope that's coming up soon, Grumm and Dinnerbone have been teasing the hell out of us for so long...

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Of the new features, only one is of any interest to me... namely, the block of redstone. Finally I can make some room in my storage chests! :p

Most disappointing part of the update is that the new engine hasn't yet made it in. Hope that's coming up soon, Grumm and Dinnerbone have been teasing the hell out of us for so long...
Engine?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the features?

I would much rather if they moved away from providing new content to making it much easier for user generated content to be used easily and effectively in both singleplayer and multiplayer context.

Mojang is not very good at generating content in both the quality or quantity that the modding community is able and willing to produce.

Most likely the rendering engine redesign that was talked about as a possibility of 1.5, but will surely end up being pushed to 1.6 1.7 1.8 someday?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Comparator: 6/5 great feature, changes redstone a lot, my favorite recent addition to vanilla minecraft.

Hopper: 5/5, good, very useful block with a lot of uses (combination of transposer, relay, cart loader and unloader with BC hopper like graphics)

Dropper: 3/5 necessary addition with more uses for dispenser.

Activator Rail: 2/5 meh, railcraft does this better.

Daylight Sensor: 3/5 not really that useful.

Trapped Chest: 2/5 maybe for map maker, more compact chests can also be useful. Useless in PVP, due to special texture.

Weighed Pressure Plate: 3/5 don't see many uses for it.

Block of Redstone: 5/5 solid redstone source, movable by pistons. I like it.

Craftable Nether Brick: 2/5 It's not like nether fortress has shortage of bricks.

Nether Quartz: 4/5 ore for nether is a good idea, makes it more interesting to explore.

Quartz Aesthetics: 5/5, very nice looking, also adds quartz usage for people that don't redstone.

Nameable Mobs: 3/5, useful in maps.

Placeable snow layers: 2/5, you can get it using commands IIRC, maybe useful for traps.

UI improvements: 5/5, very good, crafting is a lot faster.

Textures seperation: necessary cleanup.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Yes they have a new game engine they have been working on. We saw a brief look at it a few snapshots ago that had a different lighting system.

Apparently the lighting and redstone logic engines are both getting huge overhauls. Think like the change we had from old lighting to smooth. Something on that scale a complete change of how the back end logic is processed. It is supposed to get rid of things like the north/south east/west bug and the such.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I thought it was going to be some buildcraft type thing.

And the bug fixing should be nice.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, like Enderchests. It's embarrassing how much less useful those ones are.
You know they have a tough choice to make. Modders just add whatever no matter how OP it is ( ex: turtles, repair enchantment), they don't get paid so they are free to add whatever they want. But Mojang, they take things seriously. One bad move could mean finical disaster (unlikely since how popular minecraft is) when they add features, they think about blaance, and how it effects gameplay. Ever notice people play a vanilla world A LOT longer than modded ( Look at dire wolf, been doing lets plays for a year and a half or so, already has 5.5 season done) while etho is still at season 3 and been playing longer( if it went for the 1.3 update dire wolf would be at Season 6 probably) . Mojang wants people to play and enjoy minecraft as long as possible. If they did exactly what ender chest (mod) does that would be extremely OP. but only one ender chest per player is more balanced. Now back to the redstone update, they though minecraft should have a items transport system, something midgame, but not simple has pipes, something fun . They probably though that redstone was incomplete yet they didn't want to do want Redpower does with logic, since that would OP ( you could Mae a computer in a space ten times smaller than vanilla redstone computers) . these are things a game developer has to think about, not really the modder ( most of the Modders do at least).

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I thought it was going to be some buildcraft type thing.

And the bug fixing should be nice.

Its a bit more then a bug fix. Basically its going to change completely how MC handles the logic and processing of redstone in game. The end result should be a more stable and predictable redstone with fewer bugs. It should run faster take less memory and just over all be better.

But yes I foresee it breaking some of the more unique solutions used in redstone builds right now since a lot of those are based off the glitchness of how redstone logic is handled.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
I would much rather if they moved away from providing new content to making it much easier for user generated content to be used easily and effectively in both singleplayer and multiplayer context.

Mojang is not very good at generating content in both the quality or quantity that the modding community is able and willing to produce.

Most likely the rendering engine redesign that was talked about as a possibility of 1.5, but will surely end up being pushed to 1.6 1.7 1.8 someday?
Mojang produces top quality in my opion. The modding community is a mess. And the modding community ( Modders) outnumber Mojang 100 to one. Quality wise, Mojang 9/10, mods : 6/10 ( the immense amount of lag is unforgivable and the lack of balance and unity)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Some exciting things that may potentially be part of the new engine:
- Performance-improved rendering engine that Dinnerbone described as "better than Optifine".
- New features such as animated textures and lighting improvements are already being implemented
- Cubic chunks (**this is uncomfirmed!**): instead of segmenting the world into pillars of 16 x 16 x everything, segment the world into cubes of (for example) 16 x 16 x 16, and load a certain number of such cubes in three dimensions around the player. That way you stop losing performance by having to load everything from bedrock to the sky limit at all times. In fact, it allows for worlds with more than 256 height levels without FPS dying a horrible death. Again, **this is only a rumor!**