Mojang, give us a break!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

How do you feel about the new Redstone Update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I am excited as I want to see how the redstone block will help with things like the 3x3 door as well as other redstone uses. Funny for it being the redstone update it seems more like a map maker update. Nothing wrong with that just an observation.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
The reason he denied is because Mojang refused to add all of the features he would like to implement. If it stayed as a mod, he could implemement anything he liked.

You are all selfish and thinking that he is doing it for the money. He has been working on this mod, as of today, for 700 days. Don't you think he should get a little kickback? You are probably all teenagers and think that $1500 is a lot, not if you spend hundreds of hours on it.
I was saying that a guy who does something for free in his spare time *in theory* shouldn't be able to produce a product as well as people who's (hah, can't think of the word, not job) is to make Minecraft.
And I hope most people do know how much $1500 actually is, I don't really think that is much of a problem though...

700 days as of today? Wow, that's coincidental!

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
No, I do not. I think that he should sell out to Mojang if he wants to end up making money off of his idea. Otherwise, he should be happy with the donations and ad revenue that he is making, and be happy that there are still some users unwilling/unable to remove ads from their systems. This has already been discussed to death, though, so I am not sure that it makes to return to the topic unless we have new data to address on it.

No one said that he wasn't happy with the current situation! That's obviously why he declined the offer.

700 days as of today? Wow, that's coincidental!

Yea, I like to think it helped my argument :D

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
No one said that he wasn't happy with the current situation! That's obviously why he declined the offer.

You missed the context, being that the argument that he did not sell to Mojang was because of the lack of money. In that argument, my counterargument is what you had quoted.

In regards to him being happy with the current system disregarding money (or disfocusing it, perhaps, depending on how you want to word it), he may or may not be happy. It is immaterial to the discussion at that point.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
The reason he denied is because Mojang refused to add all of the features he would like to implement. If it stayed as a mod, he could implemement anything he liked.
If not being able to implement everything he wanted to into vanilla Minecraft was his reason for declining, I doubt they'd force him to no longer make mods (the Bukkit devs they hired are still working on Bukkit afaik), thus he could just put everything they don't want in vanilla into the Optifine mod still.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I am excited as I want to see how the redstone block will help with things like the 3x3 door as well as other redstone uses. Funny for it being the redstone update it seems more like a map maker update. Nothing wrong with that just an observation.
That seems to be the general focus at the moment, to give more tools to map makers. Turning the sandbox into a more functional game construction kit with less requirements for mods.

WatcherInTheShadows

Jul 29, 2019
Meh.
If the past is any indication we'll be at the current build of minecraft for a while regardless of 1.5 release date.
And that's fine with me.
The new vanilla toys look sort of interesting, but nothing I'm going to get excited over.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
maybe he already had a job and optifine was his pasttime?

Hmm, what kind of job must one have to refuse an offer from Mojang? Physiotherapist of the Brazilian beachvolleyball team?

But back on topic:
I just had time for a quick glance at the new features, but is there anything useful in there that isn't already in FTB in some similar form? I mean, it's nice for people who play vanilla, but do you guys think it's really worth updating all those mods? TBH, the last vanilla update that got me a little bit excited was 1.4.2...

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
If not being able to implement everything he wanted to into vanilla Minecraft was his reason for declining, I doubt they'd force him to no longer make mods (the Bukkit devs they hired are still working on Bukkit afaik), thus he could just put everything they don't want in vanilla into the Optifine mod still.

I never said that they forced him to stop? If most of the mod was in Vanilla, significantly less people would download the rest of it. If you made a mod, would you want lots of people downloading it and having full control or less people downloading and less control?

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
I never said that they forced him to stop? If most of the mod was in Vanilla, significantly less people would download the rest of it. If you made a mod, would you want lots of people downloading it and having full control or less people downloading and less control?
Except now everyone would be downloading some/most of his mod, because it's part of the game itself. He still has the control he wants because he can continue Optifine as an additional mod, and he can also help even more people by getting some engine optimizations into the core game. Where is the downside?
If I made a mod, it would be 1) because I enjoy making the mod and 2) I can additionally make Minecraft better for others. If I then had the opportunity to get all or part of my mod integrated into Minecraft itself, I very much doubt I'd say no unless some extremely unlikely situations occur.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You ever think maybe he just does not to work for Mojang? Maybe they dont offer enough... maybe he does not want to move... maybe he really loves his current job.

Just becuase you can't think of a resaon you would say no does not mean there are an endless number of reason he would say no.

Reactions: DrRed

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, the snow layers fix the microblocks bug that when you added them in a staircase you would glitch out.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
You ever think maybe he just does not to work for Mojang? Maybe they dont offer enough... maybe he does not want to move... maybe he really loves his current job.

Just becuase you can't think of a resaon you would say no does not mean there are an endless number of reason he would say no.
I am responding to the theoretical reasons he stated in his post.