Mojang, give us a break!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

How do you feel about the new Redstone Update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
You are all saying that mods are better than Vanilla. Why would you release a mod if it's not better than Vanilla? and how can you make Vanilla better if the mod hasn't even been released until you do. Stop ripping into Mojang. They make the game you play and love and the basis for Forge and other APIs.

Reactions: Yuka

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Comparator: Very useful, Comparing redstone signal is great, but I think being able to detect how much is in an inventory is great, this makes for more automation and just plane awesome builds

Hopper: Again, pretty useful. Item transport was only possible with water, which didn't let you put items into inventories. Combined with the comparator, this will indescribably useful

Dropper: meh, Its nice, but I wish they had made the existing dispenser more like a deployer

New Carts: Love the spawner cart, as Sethbling pointed out you can now use redstone to control spawners, but could have some other uses. Minecart with TNT seems pretty useless but nice to have I guess. Hopper cart is cool because it can pick up items but not all that useful as there is a chest cart

Daylight Sensor: It wouldn't be that useful without the different signal strengths. But it is essential for some builds as other methods are not very reliable

Trapped Chest: Probably a bad thing in the hands of vechs..

Weighed Pressure Plate: Would be cool if it took mob weight into affect.

Block of Redstone: Good way to store redstone, but being able to move a redstone source with a piston will make stuff much more compact

Quartz: I like having an ore in the nether, and it makes for nice decoration

Mapmaking stuffs: I love the new mapmaking stuff, like being able to put anything in a minecart, scoreboard, spawning blocks with tile data, command block changes, and entity stacking are all great,

Placeable snow layers: This was possible with mcedit, but so difficult it wasn't worth it large scale. And I like that i can craft it

Overall I love it, I wish they added a little more to carts like they said they would. And maybe add a little more function to the new pressure plates

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean weighted plates are useless for map makers? you can make them require a certain amount of somethign to proceed.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean weighted plates are useless for map makers? you can make them require a certain amount of somethign to proceed.
They aren't useless. But I think they have a lot of unused potential

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Oh No!
Another Mojang Update.
Here's another Survey for Ya. Not creating it myself but feel free to.
Who these days plays Vanilla Mincraft? At least 75% of the time?
Mojang need to Hire some of the Very talented Mod Makers and expand their Game to Include some very good Ideas.
And stop making it harder for the Modders and the Texture pack Guys to keep up.
Just my Opinion. Am enjoying the DW20 Pack very Much ATM but if another change comes into place that throws everything out the window I may revert back to a World Of Warcraft Player.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower will be fine. Hopefully 1.6 will be the WE FINALLY MADE A FUCKING API update.

To be honest they should hire the RP author, the SUES author, Optifine and a few others. They are already taking ideas but at an incredibly slow rate from mods. If they wanted, they could have two versions of MC, Classic and Enhanced. Classic coulf be 1.5, enhanced would be with the shaders and added tools that mods brings us. the huge difference would be they would preform a hell of a lot better and play nicely with each other and be integrated into MC to play nice all around and look pretty. Right now we have a damn clusterfuck of mods and if you know anything about coding, its a damn miracle MC launches at all sometimes. One can see how badly they interact as much of it is brute-forced. This game should run at 400fps on moderate hardware, and with many mods and machine out in the world as tile entities, even on very powerful systems you will fall below 60 at times.

Zund

Jul 29, 2019
Weighted plates have an extremely limited number of uses when you take into account that the hopper/comparator combo is very similar but significantly more flexible.

The only special cases that I can think of where you'd want to use a weighted plate would be if for what ever reason you need to measure stack size instantly or you want to make sure the player had access to enough items within a 5 minute time span. Hoppers on the other hand can filter items, can be set to require any amount of items (instead of increments of 4(gold) or 43ish(iron)), will keep items over long periods of time, can easily pass items to other inventories, etc.

So yeah compared to hoppers, weighted plates are almost useless for map makers.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
I voted that I hate it. The comparator stuff, that's what Redpower is for. The daylight sensor, Redpower. Hopper, Buildcraft. Dropper, well, you can use pipes for item automation. Trapped chests aren't needed. Weighted pressure plates aren't needed. Nether quartz looks very similar to marble from Redpower. And, seriously, nether brick? An item? Use 4 and make netherrack? Because Nether Fortresses are like, sooo rare. I hate this new update. It's becoming less Minecraft, and more unneeded crap that no-one will use. I never thought I will say this, but I want Notch back!

Conclusion: Mods are out there. They can easily be used. Vanilla Minecraft does NOT have to have stuff that mods already have. That's why mods are OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Edit: The Activator Rail and Minecart with TNT is just a thing that Railcraft does better. Minecart with hopper can easily be replaced by item loaders and unloaders.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just my Opinion. Am enjoying the DW20 Pack very Much ATM but if another change comes into place that throws everything out the window I may revert back to a World Of Warcraft Player.
Steady! I've basically quit that piece of xxxx as the latest expansion was sooo boring. Found Minecraft to be much more interesting and more worthy of my money.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower will be fine. Hopefully 1.6 will be the WE FINALLY MADE A FUCKING API update.

To be honest they should hire the RP author, the SUES author, Optifine and a few others. They are already taking ideas but at an incredibly slow rate from mods. If they wanted, they could have two versions of MC, Classic and Enhanced. Classic coulf be 1.5, enhanced would be with the shaders and added tools that mods brings us. the huge difference would be they would preform a hell of a lot better and play nicely with each other and be integrated into MC to play nice all around and look pretty. Right now we have a damn clusterfuck of mods and if you know anything about coding, its a damn miracle MC launches at all sometimes. One can see how badly they interact as much of it is brute-forced. This game should run at 400fps on moderate hardware, and with many mods and machine out in the world as tile entities, even on very powerful systems you will fall below 60 at times.

Very Apparent!
I see my FPS go from Over 2.5k fps while starting FTB to under 60. Logitec keyboard with a legit copy of Fraps and the Applet that comes with it shows me just what and when it all falls over. Texture packs have a big part in dropping fps. But if I can play Skyrim Enhanced textures (1gb+ download) and still get 60fps while recording. Then mojang need to start thinking about moving away from Java. Great Game and very addictive. (Again thx to all the Very Talented peeps out there Modding their A%#es off).
Dont mind if Fps is capped but do mind if it anit keeping up with my monitor refresh rate.
Again just another Opinion from someone fairly new to the scene of MC.

jatie1

Jul 29, 2019
Flash called. He wants his...

You know how that joke goes.

But dude, 2.5k FPS? My computer barely racks up 70FPS and I have an AMD Radeon HD 7470. Do you, like, have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000? What is this madness?

Edit: Your signature is very helpful, but easily unnoticeable.

Edit2: Not trying to get off-topic, but how much did that entire thing cost?

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Flash called. He wants his...

You know how that joke goes.
But dude, 2.5k FPS? My computer barely racks up 70FPS and I have an AMD Radeon HD 7470. Do you, like, have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000? What is this madness?
Edit: Your signature is very helpful, but easily unnoticeable.
Edit2: Not trying to get off-topic, but how much did that entire thing cost?

Software isnt built for Highend systems.. Its built for the Majority. If everyone had a highend system there would be alot more happening. Majority rules. Theres more money in it!
Hence the Govern On software and fps... Much like the gocarts are governed racing around that indoor track.
As far as My system and what it cost.. Less than a Store built one at the same time during the year. As we all know the next day theres something bigger and better on the market.
Not three months after I paid for my video card I was kicking myself for not waiting 3 months for the next one (I Love Nvidea! I forget that other one, that one that uses Catalyst something or rather.Pft)
http://www.geforce.com/ I want More! Gimmie More.

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
My insight, and how I'll use them. Take this with a grain of salt.

Comparator: 5/5 Good for inventory checking, comparing, and among other things. Time will tell how useful this is to me.
Hopper: 4/5: It's good, but slow as molasses. I like how it can auto extract, the texture is good, and it looks better than the BC hopper IMO (It's blockier..?)
Dropper: 3/5: Useful to someone other than me as I don't like spewed items, and the transposer fills this role without needing a clock. I like how it can push to inventories.
Activator Rail: 1/5: No use for this. Railcraft does it better and Covert's carts costs 5 wooden slabs instead of vanilla's 5 iron. I'm not going to waste my iron that quickly.
Daylight Sensor: 3/5: Comparable to Redpower's light sensor, but isn't adjustable. Makes up for the fact that it outputs strength signals. Good for a clock.
Trapped Chest: 0/5: Completely useless, for the sole fact that it has a different texture. If it used the chest.png, 5/5.
Weighed Pressure Plate: 2/5: As I don't use vanilla sorting systems I've got no use for this, but I can see a good use for other people. I'm against having items spilled on the ground, though.
Block of Redstone: 4/5: About damn time. It looks pretty cool too. Coal now?
Craftable Nether Brick: 4/5: More aesthetic options are always good for everyone. Never a downside.
Nether Quartz: 4/5: More ores to mine is always better, more nether content? Even better. The texture is good, as well.
Quartz Aesthetics: 5/5: Take my money, holy shit. I won't even be using quartz blocks but I love the look.
Nameable Mobs: 0/5: I can see a great mapmaker use, but as a normal player? Useless.
Placeable snow layers: 3/5: I've really got no use for this, but I like the differing layers. Looks good.

Dispenser/Dropper facing direction: 5/5: I love how the two can now face upwards and downwards. A+. Dispenser floor aiming up, loaded with water buckets. Instant river.
The new middle click drag and right click drag crafting funcitonality: 5/5: Where have you been my life? It evenly splits stacks! HOLY SHIT
Spawner carts: 0/5: Mapmaker use ONLY. No use for the normal player, at all.
Hopper carts: 3/5: Good concept, good functionality, but I won't be using them as I don't like spilled items.
New smooth lighting: 2/5: It doesn't look any different to my eyes, and causes EXTREME LAG for me. I can normally rack up a 150+ FPS without vsync, but it drops to a cool 40 with SL on. Optifine to the rescue, again.
Texture splicing: 5/5: I'm a texture artist; I love making textures. Now that animated textures are a thing, it's super organized, and I love it x 10.
Bonemeal mechanics: 3/5: I'm torn on this one. I love things being hard but damn is this iffy.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The comparator stuff, that's what Redpower is for.
That's just ridiculous. You're saying that people should have to install mods in order to get certain features in their games? I'm entirely happy that mods are the trailblazers for new vanilla Minecraft features, like upside down stairs and hoppers. This update is a good mix of new ideas and "borrowed" mod ideas, many of which would probably be added to the game at some point anyway even if mods didn't exit. And integrating features into the game will probably help with performance and stability.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
at least we now have the option of using power and compressing 3 netherrack or just crafting 4 :p
It actually seems balanced, quite so in fact. Unless you can uncraft them, infinite Netherrack anyone? (It's not hard to find but it's NOT RENEWABLE--and that's why I don't use it for Magma Crucibles.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
Why?!
Adding optifine to vanilla would be awesome! I guess Mojang (and their payed workers) may just have to do something better than a guy who decided to write something in his free time!

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
Why?!
Adding optifine to vanilla would be awesome! I guess Mojang (and their payed workers) may just have to do something better than a guy who decided to write something in his free time!
Idk, maybe it's the fact that Optifine rapes as many computers as it helps? And if they hired Eloraam we may only see a release every 6 months.... and then we'd also never have bugfixes.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
Why?!
Addfly my friend, addfly!
As the vast majority of people play vanilla, Optifine is one of the most downloaded mods in the forum, add to the fact that there are multiple versions to download and you have to re-download it every single version/snapshot and you can make money from addfly.