Mojang, give us a break!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

How do you feel about the new Redstone Update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dragonhippie

Jul 29, 2019
Heard to be better FPS in the later version! WOOT!
Considering im running this game on a kinda crap computer.... #BLARGHMAHFIGGINCOMPUTER!
Anyways, my opinion with the new updates.... AWESOME, New features to the game i think don't break the game at all, considering im just going to get mods and cange the game overall anyways, Cause thats the main reason on having mods? For more content? so if minecraft adds more content, and i get mods = one Really happy 18 year old with no life! WOOO!!! :p

Lappro

Jul 29, 2019
Lol just found out a nice feature: you can be kicked from your own singleplayer world for spamming chat xD I just wanted to check out the new unfocessed heigth feature.

Reactions: jumpfight5

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
As a mod maker, I actually kind of like the new version. It gives me a new ore to play with (and by play with, I mean use it in every crafing recipe ever).

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Addfly my friend, addfly!
As the vast majority of people play vanilla, Optifine is one of the most downloaded mods in the forum, add to the fact that there are multiple versions to download and you have to re-download it every single version/snapshot and you can make money from addfly.
How much money do they actually get? I thought it was only 5 dollars per...10,000 downloaders. If Optifine worked out a deal with Mojang, they could possibly make more money!

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
How much money do they actually get? I thought it was only 5 dollars per...10,000 downloaders. If Optifine worked out a deal with Mojang, they could possibly make more money!
Minecraft was bought 3 million times, and each version/snapshot you have to re-download Opitifine, I am not saying that everyone uses optifine, but a very good amount of people use it because it adds nothing gameplay-wise and it is recommended on every minecraft performance boost thread.
I heard a thing or two about the guy behind Optifine actually refusing the amount of money Mojang offered, those 5 dollars add up, especially whit the amount of snapshots released recently.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft was bought 3 million times, and each version/snapshot you have to re-download Opitifine, I am not saying that everyone uses optifine, but a very good amount of people use it because it adds nothing gameplay-wise and it is recommended on every minecraft performance boost thread.
I heard a thing or two about the guy behind Optifine actually refusing the amount of money Mojang offered, those 5 dollars add up, especially whit the amount of snapshots released recently.
Would you go so far as to say that it has been downloaded more times than Minecraft? If Optifine was downloaded 3mil times, the guy would get 1.5k...which does happen to look like it adds up!

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
ohhh that might be what is making adfly look so wierd these days! I only recently started using ABP

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
huh. Well remember that you don't get the money if people are using adblock, and honestly, I'd say the majority of people use adblock.
Oh it doesn't work with adblock?
But I still think people have downloaded optifine more times than Minecraft. Especially considering you don't download MC more than once, and mod packs do it for you. Optifine isn't allowed with modpacks so it's downloaded even more in that regard.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
For a "redstone" update i am very underwhelmed at the actual redstone additions. No vertical/upside down redstone, no clock block and they removed the BUD.
Another point that i realy dislike is that alot of the features are "map maker" only.

I will say that i love the new quartz blocks and the redstone block. That alone is reason enough for me to want that patch :)
Now if they keep this up and add a dark grey or black building block next update i will go grazy of the awesomeness x)

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
Oh it doesn't work with adblock?
But I still think people have downloaded optifine more times than Minecraft. Especially considering you don't download MC more than once, and mod packs do it for you. Optifine isn't allowed with modpacks so it's downloaded even more in that regard.

People are just...sight.
Only a huge minority runs addblock, and even among these people many have addblock disabled on youtube and addfly to "support" the youtubers/modders.
And like I said to you, this recent weekly snapshot thing skyrocketed optifine downloads, as you have to download it every time minecraft code changes.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I voted that I hate it. The comparator stuff, that's what Redpower is for. The daylight sensor, Redpower. Hopper, Buildcraft. Dropper, well, you can use pipes for item automation. Trapped chests aren't needed. Weighted pressure plates aren't needed. Nether quartz looks very similar to marble from Redpower. And, seriously, nether brick? An item? Use 4 and make netherrack? Because Nether Fortresses are like, sooo rare. I hate this new update. .

Earth to out of touch selfish guy; not everyone wants to play with mods nor do all servers have mods installed. Hello?

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
How?!
Why?!
Adding optifine to vanilla would be awesome! I guess Mojang (and their payed workers) may just have to do something better than a guy who decided to write something in his free time!

The reason he denied is because Mojang refused to add all of the features he would like to implement. If it stayed as a mod, he could implemement anything he liked.

You are all selfish and thinking that he is doing it for the money. He has been working on this mod, as of today, for 700 days. Don't you think he should get a little kickback? You are probably all teenagers and think that $1500 is a lot, not if you spend hundreds of hours on it.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Very Apparent!
I see my FPS go from Over 2.5k fps while starting FTB to under 60. Logitec keyboard with a legit copy of Fraps and the Applet that comes with it shows me just what and when it all falls over. Texture packs have a big part in dropping fps. But if I can play Skyrim Enhanced textures (1gb+ download) and still get 60fps while recording. Then mojang need to start thinking about moving away from Java. Great Game and very addictive. (Again thx to all the Very Talented peeps out there Modding their A%#es off).
Dont mind if Fps is capped but do mind if it anit keeping up with my monitor refresh rate.
Again just another Opinion from someone fairly new to the scene of MC.

Yes, its a huge issue of poor API, plus, not to downplay Notches coding ability, but I doubt he had much of what is going on in mind when he was laying the groundwork. MC is very unoptimized for any of this (1.6 hopefully will help this). Things like texture packs should have absolutely zero performance impact unless your card has very little RAM on it. I believe long ago that was even hacked in, and I doubt the official support if much better. MC is in need of a ground-up recode becuse mods wont be slowing down and shaderpacks will be adding many features still missing that would bring a SLI GTX 690 with the best Intel CPU to its knees (Hi quality DoF, Bloom, Motion blur, quality Godrays, SSAO, ect ect) not to mention physics modes.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Don't you think he should get a little kickback?

No, I do not. I think that he should sell out to Mojang if he wants to end up making money off of his idea. Otherwise, he should be happy with the donations and ad revenue that he is making, and be happy that there are still some users unwilling/unable to remove ads from their systems. This has already been discussed to death, though, so I am not sure that it makes to return to the topic unless we have new data to address on it.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The 100th post is nigh! only 2 more! Also, we need to get back on topic. What do you guys think of the update as a whole? Is it worth it? Are there any parts that especially interested you, or made a bad impression on you?