Modpack Release

SnailsAttack

Jul 29, 2019
No biomes o' plenty? Okey thats the deal breaker there. I can't live without biomes o' plenty. It makes minecraft beautiful. ;D

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing is that Jaded and Eya did not make this pack, it was primarily made by tfox83.

While this is true, she was speaking for the FTB team as a whole I recall. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this pack was created. I was one of the ones saying that packs like ultimate (and this one) have their audience and that it would be foolish to ignore them.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
If I ever make a pack, sucks to be anyone who doesn't appreciate that I'll do what I want. Its my pack. I don't care if a thousand people play it or just two.

That's a good mentality to have because its my fricking pack that I spent time making and for some reason decided to share with ingrates.

And you are welcome to do so. But if you are making a pack specifically for others to play. Specifically for a public release from it's initial inception and not just your own use you darn well better fricking listen to/talk to those who you are making the pack for.

I should also mention that during the creation process of this pack we had a team of around 15 beta testers from the public who were all people who were told it would be centered around gregtech. If they had suggestions etc. they were more than welcome to suggest them so this is definitely not one person having the final say about everything. Another thing is that Jaded and Eya did not make this pack, it was primarily made by tfox83.

From the public isn't the same as public involvement. Public would have bin a forum front page announcement. Public would have bin a stream or active forum thread discussing the development.
And once someone becomes a part of a privet beta test they stop being part of the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Skyqula

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That was the plan but the feeling now is that that was a mistake. Loads of people still want to play those sort of packs so we should still be creating them

I really want to say.. what was that turm snarky? I really want to say some thing snarky but I think it is more important to say that while I feel that the decision to stop making packs like those that originally put FTB on the map was a mistake, not the first mistake or last... probalty, I do appreciate that they are attempting to make up for lost time and continue to do good work.

If the crew makes the changes that the community has bin suggesting or better yet adds a proper suggestion forum the only thing renaming that I could want would be a remake of the original FTB pack. I know slow was working on a new version of it's map. And with ProjectE it should be perfectly doable.

"too many cooks spoil the broth"

But many cooks makes banquettes possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
True, but they're not all making the same potato salad.

If they were making potato salad. But this is a full coarse meal.

Also, lemme give you another briefer on the GT pipes when you have a sec, they're actually fairly handy (they function more like TE3 pipes or even XU as far as I can tell). My major gripe with them is they're annoying to make with GT tools :p

One could also mention that the old GT didn't have pipes. :D

The amount that GT "messes" with other mods has been basically the same since 1.4.7.

Really cause at one point it messed with making vanilla tools. And there was that issue with Tcon. If he decided to pull his claws in good for him. I didn't like the idea of having to keep a rolled up newspaper handy.

And thank heavens, earth and everything between for that.

Seriously, whose bright idea was it to fill Ultimate with tons upon tons of useless ores, as well as hi-res-and-animated-textured crystals with particle effects that couldn't be disabled, which also work as empty blocks leading to every instance of the crystal loading six blocks into memory in addition to itself?

Quarrying up my world, I filled a 4k storage unit with Quartz Crystals alone, only so I could throw it ceremoniously into lava.

Ultimate without XYcraft is like ice cream without unhealthy side effects. I'll download and play this once I get home today.

And he quickly amended that system. The later public versions of Xycraft reduced and ultimately eliminated those.
And that six block loading wasn't relevant at the time. I beleave at the time every block was loaded. The lag it added was relatively minor and only do to the excess amount of the crystals.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And you are welcome to do so. But if you are making a pack specifically for others to play. Specifically for a public release from it's initial inception and not just your own use you darn well better fricking listen to/talk to those who you are making the pack for.
Or else?

I'm making my pack for those who like the packs I make. Not everyone. Not a lot of people. Possibly not you. If five hundred people play it and only two like it, I'm catering to those two, and everyone else can fly a kite.

tarzan1376

Jul 7, 2013
It looks like Harvestcraft was not in Ultimate either, and I figured there were others, so that is apparently not the reason.

As for Gregtech, recipes can easily be changed, it can be made to work with Gregtech manually if it does not automatically; although yes, it is slightly more work. Does anything else have a way of (pre AE) transporting power, signal, items, and fluids all through the same block in an even decently configurable way that is not terrible (which counts out Extra Utilities)? Ender IO has the added bonus of being visibly distinct conduits in the same block and looking awesome, but those details are not required. :p
adding misc mods wouldn't matter but adding ender IO might change allot when it gives a cheap way to distribute power, liquids, materials in huge quantities is different from adding a mod that adds food, building blocks and maybe some other asthetics. but nothing like ender IO with its own machines and huge power storage that wasn't originally in the modpack in 1.4.7

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
adding misc mods wouldn't matter but adding ender IO might change allot when it gives a cheap way to distribute power, liquids, materials in huge quantities is different from adding a mod that adds food, building blocks and maybe some other asthetics. but nothing like ender IO with its own machines and huge power storage that wasn't originally in the modpack in 1.4.7

EIO can't really transport those things faster than buildcraft pipes could. Nore is any part of it more powerfull than IC2 was. Just with less machines/wires blowing up. In fact as GT machines do still blow if you over power them then using IC2 pipes might make it harder to use safely.
And It's not like Ult. was just about GT.

Erik3003

Jul 29, 2019
Captainnana, none of those have replacements for EIO conduits; none of those quite match the quality and functionality, nor can any of them all go through the same block. Balance issues can be fixed, I am sure there would even be some of us willing to help tweak and test if more info were posted. Resource intensive, however, I can understand. I have not noticed when using EIO, but if it can be laggy I understand excluding it if the pack is meant to be lightweight.

Btw, I kinda like playing with Gregtech occasionally, so it would be nice to have EIO with it.

EnderIO is a very interesting mod, but also very overpowered. The conduits make everything easier and remove the challenge of a smart system, the SAG mill allows "smelting" silicon out of sand (Therefore destroys balance of GT, GT requires a electric blastfurnace to melt silicon, therefore you are capable of creating an AE system before GT's electrical age) and removes the need of GT machines. EnderIO wouldn't add additional gameplay, it would just remove gameplay and challenges...

monkeywraith

Jul 29, 2019
GT does add the interface to be able to interact with blocks in an area remotely, along with very attractive alternatives, if nothing else.

The rest of your opinion is entirely flawed. As I have already pointed out, recipes can easily be changed or removed. That is a huge part of what GT does anyway. If GT does not already know to modify EIO like it does everything else they can be modified manually. The sag mill can be modified to be unobtainable until the electric age or the sand to silicon recipe can be disabled. Like I already said, with a bit of work it will fit the progression of GT as well as anything.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Moderation Notice

This thread has been slightly sanitized. Additionally, I've used the ban-from-thread functionality to ensure specific instigators don't return to the thread.

Any more blabber about year+ old drama will result in the same plus the accrual of Warning points. This is the only public warning I'll make. Take your Red Team/Blue Team jingoism to another forum entirely if that's all you're here for.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

EnderIO's cables are more expensive then MFR's transport methods. EnderIO spawners are more expensive. EnderIO farms are more expensive. Huge power storage was also already a thing, as TE already had energy cells. Heck the only thing I can think of that actually causes a balance issue is the alloy smelter/SAG mill. Wich is easely fixed with minetweaker(Enderium machine frame: go!). Also like a mentioned before, adding EnderIO means you can remove MFR/ExU/RA and fill the current gab left by no MPS.

the SAG mill allows "smelting" silicon out of sand (Therefore destroys balance of GT, GT requires a electric blastfurnace to melt silicon, therefore you are capable of creating an AE system before GT's electrical age) and removes the need of GT machines. EnderIO wouldn't add additional gameplay, it would just remove gameplay and challenges...

Thats easely fixed with minetweaker! Also: the removal of MFR/ExU is a big point balance wise. While you worry about a few materials being potentially easyer, MFR/ExU makes collecting a significant amount more realy easy. MFR's and ExU's pressence alone removes alot of "gameplay and challanges". Besides, ultimate was not a: "You must use gregtech" modpack. This shoudnt be either. And thats the problem I have with:

I should also mention that during the creation process of this pack we had a team of around 15 beta testers from the public who were all people who were told it would be centered around gregtech.

What kind of people? If they are all from the "ic2/gregtech" camp then we get a "you must use gregtech" focussed pack wich ultimate was not. Currently, it looks alot like that's what's actually happening. It would explain why TE is in, but its suppoting mods capped to midgame tech.

re2000

Jul 29, 2019
Like half of GregTech anymore is the "Bronze age", and IMO it's the better, more enjoyable half. By allowing the creation of steel in the RC blast furnace and the TE allow smelter you're destroying game-play.

I think the steel oreDict for Greg's machines should be removed or changed, so if you want to progress in GT you need to build a Bronze Blast Furnace rather than the other mod's mahines :D
Trust me, the late game Greg Tech is not enjoyable nor challenging. You end up building more machines then you'll ever need (This is what I made in the BeyondReality mod pack)

yUDrite.png

So what I'm trying to say is, getting started with GT is the best part of the mod and the pack needs more balance around getting steel.
I hope you agree xD

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Like half of GregTech anymore is the "Bronze age", and IMO it's the better, more enjoyable half. By allowing the creation of steel in the RC blast furnace and the TE allow smelter you're destroying game-play.

I think the steel oreDict for Greg's machines should be removed or changed, so if you want to progress in GT you need to build a Bronze Blast Furnace rather than the other mod's mahines :D
Trust me, the late game Greg Tech is not enjoyable nor challenging. You end up building more machines then you'll ever need (This is what I made in the BeyondReality mod pack)

So what I'm trying to say is, getting started with GT is the best part of the mod and the pack needs more balance around getting steel.
I hope you agree xD
18 machines and 2 multiblock structures? that's not too bad. I wish I still had my 1.4.7 GT pictures... :p

a little more stability and I'll probably give this pack a go on SMP.