Modpack Release

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I would really like to see Ender IO in the pack, as the GregTech item pipes are pretty frustrating and much less flexible than EIO conduits. I also feel that auto-extraction of fluids and items in an intuitive and easy way is bare-minimum for any tech pack. It's especially critical for servers, as bad buildcraft and other pipe systems can significantly impact everyone's play with lag.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
My only counter-points to the addition of ender-io is that while its an absolutely must-have in most packs I'd play, it doesn't succeed in replicating the traditional "Ultimate" experience. It has beefy generators and easily-compressed logistics (fluids/energy/items all in one block).

Also, lemme give you another briefer on the GT pipes when you have a sec, they're actually fairly handy (they function more like TE3 pipes or even XU as far as I can tell). My major gripe with them is they're annoying to make with GT tools :p

PS: Peeps need to chill. This modpack might not be for you. That Happens Sometimes.

Reactions: Flipz

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There's bin a severe "we will do what we want" mentality being displayed around here lately.

If I ever make a pack, sucks to be anyone who doesn't appreciate that I'll do what I want. Its my pack. I don't care if a thousand people play it or just two.

That's a good mentality to have because its my fricking pack that I spent time making and for some reason decided to share with ingrates.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
If I ever make a pack, sucks to be anyone who doesn't appreciate that I'll do what I want. Its my pack. I don't care if a thousand people play it or just two.

That's a good mentality to have because its my fricking pack that I spent time making and for some reason decided to share with ingrates.

I think that holds extremely true for third-party packs here (this includes non-official packs by FTB staff such as AgS and BnB), but I feel a little differently when it comes to official FTB packs. They are created and managed by the staff, who certainly have a theme and mission in mind, but they are intended to be 'for the community' and thus I feel there is at least some responsibility to solicit and consider community feedback. I am not at all saying that FTB does not listen to feedback, by the way.

I think (note this is my opinion) the best way to honor the theme of Ultimate is to keep the core mods and theme/playstyle while adding the best up to date mods that supplement that experience. Hence, I think EIO is a great choice on the conduit front. I agree that the generators and smelters might be 'too easy' for ultimate, but as we have seen in InfiTech, responsible Minetweaking is a powerful tool to gate machines behind GregTech tiers if necessary.

For what it's worth, I think the original Ultimate did so well because of the difficulty of finding an all-around modpack at the time. I think the GT/IC2 integration was done well, but I think the real draw of the pack was that other 'all the mods' packs were not readily available then. I am wondering if the reincarnation of Ultimate will do the same because it is one of the first official non-theme packs for 1.7.10. I think GregTech might scare off some who do not enjoy that playstyle, especially if GT ore gen is used.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think that holds extremely true for third-party packs here (this includes non-official packs by FTB staff such as AgS and BnB), but I feel a little differently when it comes to official FTB packs. They are created and managed by the staff, who certainly have a theme and mission in mind, but they are intended to be 'for the community' and thus I feel there is at least some responsibility to solicit and consider community feedback. I am not at all saying that FTB does not listen to feedback, by the way.

I think (note this is my opinion) the best way to honor the theme of Ultimate is to keep the core mods and theme/playstyle while adding the best up to date mods that supplement that experience. Hence, I think EIO is a great choice on the conduit front. I agree that the generators and smelters might be 'too easy' for ultimate, but as we have seen in InfiTech, responsible Minetweaking is a powerful tool to gate machines behind GregTech tiers if necessary.

For what it's worth, I think the original Ultimate did so well because of the difficulty of finding an all-around modpack at the time. I think the GT/IC2 integration was done well, but I think the real draw of the pack was that other 'all the mods' packs were not readily available then. I am wondering if the reincarnation of Ultimate will do the same because it is one of the first official non-theme packs for 1.7.10. I think GregTech might scare off some who do not enjoy that playstyle, especially if GT ore gen is used.

Agree with nearly all of this. The only thing I'd point out is that if you get the best pack for "most people" you tend to lose out on niche packs that cater to specific crowds.

Which is why freaking TLC and discovery channel are nothing but bullshit now, with reality tv and other mindless drivel taking away my documentaries, historical and educational stuff. Wait, what the hell am I arguing about again?

Oh: Yeah, ultimate was never supposed to be a niche pack anyway, so, yeah, I still agree. And since I don't remember what the hell was in the original pack anymore, hell, I'll agree with EIO too.

Edit: I didn't realize at the time this was an "official" FTB pack. My gripe about peeps not appreciating my personal work is less relevant in that instance (although still applicable)

Last edited:

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019

For this specific pack there was a very specific aim in mind for the pack. That being to create a lightweight 1.7.10 modpack with gregtech. The lightweight component is one of the reasons some mods you might expect to be included are not. For example EIO was not included because many of the features are redundant (Buildcraft, GregTech, extra utils all have replacements for EIO conduits), it is quite resource intensive and it caused balance issues.
We also plan to include thermal dynamics in this pack once it is released and tested which should further satisfy this area of gameplay.

There will be non-gregtech packs coming out soon to satisfy those of you that want that, they'll be more of our "kitchen sink" style packs to satisfy the masses but there are some technical issues with that right now.

Reactions: Pyure

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
hm... thought FTB was moving away from kitchen sink packs...
That was the plan but the feeling now is that that was a mistake. Loads of people still want to play those sort of packs so we should still be creating them

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
WHAT??? YOU MEAN IT"S NOT A WE WILL DO WHAT WE WANT TO DO?

how unauthoritative of FTB. ;)

I don't believe it is an entitlement, but I do think it was a nice gesture to atleast only make one kitchen sink pack of such a thing. I am one that agrees we don't need to reboot every stink'n pack from the past just because FTB could, especially if it takes a corporation to support said pack/packs... I do believe themed packs are where modded mc is going, but good on you to not leave the obstinent behind...

tfox83

Jul 29, 2019
This pack is still in alpha and there are still a few non-world gen mods that I am considering for the pack, however I was tired of waiting for fixes and wanted to get this out for everyone before the holidays come. My plan is to possibly add a few more mods before it hits a beta state. These mods have nothing to do with progression so it should not impact current gameplay. I will give more information about this as I learn more.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Is there a significant difference between Resurrection and that dark trilogy thing in the 3rd party packs?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
What is the significance? The title of the modpack? (but seriously other than Gtech...)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
well ok... dark trilogy is the kitchen sink pack... Resurrection is just a Ultimate reboot attempt. Dark3 is Resereckt + magic mods - Gtech.