Mod Pros-Cons Debate Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
As to KAMI yes this is powerful but let's be honest by the time you get it you already had it from other mods anyway. It is insanely expansive and you mosyly get it to show off rather than becuase you really needed it.

Big con of TC is research it is fun first few times after that it is bit borring. New system is better but still lacking perfection. Ifyou could at least automate getting aspects that would be enough. Like for example golems are the cheapes most efficient early game tree farm but not many people use them becuase research.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I did not say quantum suit is a better option, nor did i say anything about gaining ultimate power easily, I said gaining ultimate power at all.

Not to mention, regular quantum suit is a lot less powerful than KAMI (i'm pretty sure some twilight forest enemies can punch right through it thank you very much), and KAMI also has it's equally insane tools. On power level, it's closer to EE than any tech mod ever get.
I never mentioned "ultimate power" or basically anything you've mentioned on your post.

Reactions: Padfoote

DudeToTheMax

Jul 29, 2019
As for KAMI, I'm gonna try to get it this summer. It's similar to the old EE days. Quite frankly, I'd rather work hard an research up to KAMI then just NEI the recipe for a GraviChest. Considering how insanely stable my infusion altar is, it might be easier..

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Heres what I think. Tiered progression means you need machine A to make machine B until your base builds itself around what you need. More complicated methods to acquiring basic resources is a solution to extending that utterly unique early game modded minecraft feel but eventually you might have to start thinking about using all of the POWER you have amassed for building something elaborate and thats when people get bored and start new worlds.

Its taken me a while to realize this but even with mods, the ultimate goal is to build stuff. The reason for the mods is so I can build on an epic scale without breaking my back, so I can have the added variety to enhance my builds aesthetically, and so I can make my builds functional and alive not just empty castles. I want to have a world that I can be proud of, eventually.

Last edited:

DudeToTheMax

Jul 29, 2019
Heres what I think. Tiered progression means you need machine A to make machine B until your base builds itself around what you need. More complicated methods to acquiring basic resources is a solution to extending that utterly unique early game modded minecraft feel but eventually you might have to start thinking about using all of the POWER you have amassed for building something elaborate and thats when people get bored and start new worlds.

Its taken me a while to realize this but even with mods, the ultimate goal is to build stuff. The reason for the mods is so I can build on an epic scale without breaking my back, so I can have the added variety to enhance my builds aesthetically, and so I can make my builds functional and alive not just empty castles. I want to have a world that I can be proud of, eventually.
I 100% agree with you. This is what I'm aiming for in my world, and it's very satisfying and doesn't get boring.

Reactions: epidemia78

DudeToTheMax

Jul 29, 2019
What about some of the magic mods? Let's take DartCraft, for example. OP? Unbalanced? What do you guys think?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What about some of the magic mods? Let's take DartCraft, for example. OP? Unbalanced? What do you guys think?

I'm on the fence about classifying DartCraft. It's stupidly powerful on default configs, but can be heavily nerfed. So it all depends on how configs are setup.
I liked IC2 once.

I did too, back in 1.2.5. I still like GT, but won't use it because IC2's E-Net isn't working.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm on the fence about classifying DartCraft. It's stupidly powerful on default configs, but can be heavily nerfed. So it all depends on how configs are setup.

I did too, back in 1.2.5. I still like GT, but won't use it because IC2's E-Net isn't working.
I haven't played it since shortly after it came out for FTB (in, um, unleashed maybe? I forget)

It instantly deprecated any other source of early/mid-game power, so I removed it.

Dunno where its at now.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I haven't played it since shortly after it came out for FTB (in, um, unleashed maybe? I forget)

It instantly deprecated any other source of early/mid-game power, so I removed it.

Dunno where its at now.

IC2 or GT? I had a friend that used IC2 back in December and it took him forever to get 2x processing up. In the time it took him to do that, I was able to "finish" TE3 and be half done with TC4.0 research. So it's been pushed way back into uselessness. As for GT, I haven't used it since 1.5.2, so I can't say anything on it.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Personnaly I usualy go easy way asap then get the more complicated stuff going.

I leave IC2 out of the way because I've played too much in the previous pack and it seems to be broken in monster

TE is fairly early game but slow as hell, so I usually rush Tinker's double mechanic at the beginning then jump directly into RotaryCraft top get 3x ore processing and an auto mining system up. Then you are set on ressources as you keep expanding the auto mining.

For bulk power generation I usualy get a big reactor and expand it along side. If I get motivated, reactorcraft or extra utilities generator are often fun, if I get to that point.

For magic mods, I dislike thaumcraft since I am way too lazy to do the research. I usualy play a fair bit of blood magic, usually after I get regen going :D

For armors, I either have MPS, bedrock or bound, or all three :p I might go for an exo armor fully upgraded with hearths for the fun of it (104 full hearts I got too :D)

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I'm impressed... after reading the first sentence of the op, I didn't even think about responding before I found out if the thread had been locked or not... might look into this thread while it still exists...

jtloft05598

Jul 29, 2019
Current Debate: Why does TE seem.... Lacking?
Alright, this is for friendly debates about mods. Like simple "I prefer IC2 over RoC for x." and "I disagree because RoC has y." and so on. If a discussion dissolves into name-calling and I cannot get it to stop, I will ask a mod to lock the thread. Remember, friendly debates only. I'll start with this:
So, I've been wondering why people like IC2 in the 1.6 update. I find myself making a machine for a single thing, and then moving on. I find that it's tedious rather than hard, and RoC gives me the difficulty that I need, with a good amount of novelty and reward at the end of it, too. Why do you like/not like IC2?

IC2 used to be the best mod back in Unleashed but now it pales in comparison to Thermal Expansion. I have to give it to the mod designers that having RF become a universal energy source was genius. Now FTB mod makers are saying they might move the few EU (form of power) mods to a separate mod pack. IC2 used to be the best but now i highly disagree with the path they are taking with the overly complicated crafting. Just my opinion.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
OP is a useless and empty term

Technicly it means over powered
So you can't say dartcraft is OP and I completly agree with you.
We should change this for: Dartcraft gives ridiculous machine and stuff at a ridiculous price which makes it unbalanced in most modpack ;)

I remember having near infinite storage within 30 mins ingame with the force wrench :3

IC2 used to be the best mod back in Unleashed but now it pales in comparison to Thermal Expansion. I have to give it to the mod designers that having RF become a universal energy source was genius. Now FTB mod makers are saying they might move the few EU (form of power) mods to a separate mod pack. IC2 used to be the best but now i highly disagree with the path they are taking with the overly complicated crafting. Just my opinion.

Agree with you. IC2 seems to be going the same way then gregtech is going, which I personnaly dislike, but I guess some people love it! It was fun at first, but now TE just makes it better (except you can't upgrade TE machine's speed which is a bummer... really...)

Reactions: jtloft05598

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Technicly it means over powered
So you can't say dartcraft is OP and I completly agree with you.
We should change this for: Dartcraft gives ridiculous machine and stuff at a ridiculous price which makes it unbalanced in most modpack ;)

I remember having near infinite storage within 30 mins ingame with the force wrench :3

Santa's saying that what's "OP" to someone is different than to another person. Balance is another thing that falls into this "grey area", because it is again dependent on what each person thinks.