Mod Pros-Cons Debate Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
From what I understand; the buildcraft based mod family (BC/forestry/RC ect) are somewhat designed for continuous running. It seems to play a lot better if you run a machine slowly off 1 engine, rather than off 10 engines and always stop-starting it.

The urbanist's block and robot control does look pretty neat mind.
Mostly because you can send out a swarm of laser-shooting drones.​

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I do plan to test out the new builder system. I hope that it works with Carpenter's Blocks. If not, it's still useful. IIRC there's a method of saving builder's plans and transferring between worlds. That solves a huge problem for me since I grow attached to my buildings. I'd be less likely to stay attached to a specific world if I knew that I could take the plans for my stuff with me. Plus if it's easy to take plans with you to a server then it's doubly powerful. I need to research this.

Pretty much the reason why Buildcraft will be a must have in anny pack, assuming it works and keeps working (accross updates) that is :)

Sure makes me wish it was a standalone though, something this good and powerfull should not be locked in a big mod. Maybe we can get a "JABBA" version eventually! *crosses fingers*

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I have BC in for a few things.
-Oil
-Gates
-Quarry for making big holes
-Filler for making big boxes
EDIT: Ooh, forgot:
-Facades
-Pipe Wire (Left out PR to encourage creativity)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
BTW it is only in three of the 1.6.4 FTB packs.

Unless I am mistaken, its a 1.7+ feature. FTB's 1.7 design plans do not match the "BC in every pack" philosophy. Hence my wishes for a standalone or "JABBA" version. Besides the obvious: "If BC's playstyle isnt your thing".

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I like JABBA, but I don't like that it's replacing the main reason why people use a mod. Say someone made a "JABBA" for RoC's boring machine that runs on RF. There would be more people hearing about that and less of the real one. Then there wouldn't be nearly as many people finding out how fun RoC is because all the best features are incorporated into this "JABBA"-style mod. Keep in mind that this can apply for nearly any mod.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
BC has always taken that direction. You may be confusing BC with Thermal Expansion 2.
Actually, BC in general added very little meaningful new content since the dawn of 1.4. Fixing things and a few gate settings that most of us will never touch isn't "new content" with the exception of the power regulating gate setting.

While 1.6 is admittingly adding new things, half of that stuff is improved versions of old things, and I have pretty high expectations when I can look at other mods that have added twice that much content in the same time period and it's all new.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm bringing this back because I'm curious to see everyone's opinions on the magic mod scene. We have a new mod, Chromaticraft (Yes, it came out a while ago, I forgot about this thread) and it seems like this is where all the innovation is happening. I just want to hear what you think of it. :D

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
I'm bringing this back because I'm curious to see everyone's opinions on the magic mod scene. We have a new mod, Chromaticraft (Yes, it came out a while ago, I forgot about this thread) and it seems like this is where all the innovation is happening. I just want to hear what you think of it. :D
Isnt ChromatiCraft just a combination of Geostrata crystals with its own crafting system and Dye Trees?

Last edited:

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
It is a bit more then *just* that. I recommend checking out this video:

for some *very* cool effects and visuals.

Also don't forget the time accelerators.