Mod Pros-Cons Debate Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft has been my favorite tech mod (when combined with MJ and EU APIs) since 1.5.2.
Pipes are boring now.
Hashtags feel weird because you have no reason to use them on the forums.

Very true, often I use hashtags to mock current trends (examples: #hashtagBro or #YOLOSWAG) But today I just felt derpy. At any rate, you commented quite quickly, only a minute after my posting. What is this, IRC?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
God danm it is everyone planning a train based method of automation for packs now? I need to think of something completely mad now.. Like forcing people to use pistons to move things with inventories for block transport.. XD

Maybe magic mirrors and item cannons could be an interesting limit...

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
God danm it is everyone planning a train based method of automation for packs now? I need to think of something completely mad now.. Like forcing people to use pistons to move things with inventories for block transport.. XD

Maybe magic mirrors and item cannons could be an interesting limit...

My pack is not only using those, but since I am using Tic Tweaks, I've decided to move chests back to the iron age and have them require 45 wooden planks. Copper Age unlocks a crafting table that keeps it's inventory and early game is just item frames (now can be made of wool) and better barrels (Now require 10.5 wooden planks), along with your basic TiCon tool building stuffs. And if that isn't enough, I used Iguana's Tweaks to make most items stack up to 8 and set the inventory weight size thing to 64. Oh and planks? Hah! One log now makes two sticks. You need a lumber axe if you want to get one plank, and a steel handsaw if you're looking for two. Four? Requires a IC2 chainsaw.

I think my words reign true when I say I believe I made the most irritating change to inventory management.

BTW, if anyone knows how to customize the stack size of specific items, please tell me. IgTweaks only has a global setting

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
So, maybe modpacks can use this "crappiness" and make it the cheapest auto-miner but also the worst in design? That way it technically still has a use.

BTW, you think IC2 automation is hard? In my pack, I'm making it so you have 2 choices for automation: Railcraft/Steve's Carts and Hoppers/Ducts. If you find a lack of auto-export inconvenient, you'll rage at that method. ^

What are you using for storage?[DOUBLEPOST=1402247232][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really? Wow then these guys above are almost out of defenses. Bring in the battering ram! :p

Defenses? We're discussing a point. This has irritated me - time to put up the wall.

Reactions: RedBoss

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
What are you using for storage?[DOUBLEPOST=1402247232][/DOUBLEPOST]

Defenses? We're discussing a point. This has irritated me - time to put up the wall.

See above.

Not sure if joking or just didn't see the ":p"

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
My pack is not only using those, but since I am using Tic Tweaks, I've decided to move chests back to the iron age and have them require 45 wooden planks. Copper Age unlocks a crafting table that keeps it's inventory and early game is just item frames (now can be made of wool) and better barrels (Now require 10.5 wooden planks), along with your basic TiCon tool building stuffs. And if that isn't enough, I used Iguana's Tweaks to make most items stack up to 8 and set the inventory weight size thing to 64. Oh and planks? Hah! One plank now makes two sticks. You need a lumber axe if you want to get one plank, and a steel handsaw if you're looking for two. Four? Requires a IC2 chainsaw.

I think my words reign true when I say I believe I made the most irritating change to inventory management.

BTW, if anyone knows how to customize the stack size of specific items, please tell me. IgTweaks only has a global setting
If I knew I might tell you, but I'm afraid of what you might do with that information :p

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I've always disliked BC's energy, I don't like the name, nor the possible ways you can use it.
EU was my first energy unit, then MJ (which I quickly skipped over) and now it's RF.

MJ doesn't seem to be designed for big energy networks. Think of it as just a way to have interchangeable power modules - you can have a quarry running on coal, or refined oil, or biomass, or peat, or steam, or...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
And when MJ tried to reclaim its "vision" (aka the one that almost no one liked), it got beat on because 90% of people using it either hated or didn't care about said vision.
On the upside, they did seem to figure that out, and now we have Kinesis Pipes which are nothing like IC2 cables what so ever, and we still have massive MJ requirements for BC machines that BC can't make nor send to them without energy storage and/or better engines and pipes, unless you're okay with running combustion engines for any task, and aside from the Quarry, why do people still care about BC? Builders, Fillers, Blueprints, etc etc, but who even uses those?

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
we still have massive MJ requirements for BC machines that BC can't make nor send to them without energy storage and/or better engines and pipes?

There are several BC machines that will use as much power as you can throw at them, but which machines require huge amounts of power?

Reactions: RealSketch

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There are several BC machines that will use as much power as you can throw at them, but which machines require huge amounts of power?
Oh, should have clarified; all(?) BC Machines need a huge amount of MJ for a project, but it often takes a handful of Combustion Engines running to keep one at full-ish speed. Quarries maybe not, and pumps not really, but BC Pumps are nice and cheap, yet are pretty useful.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, should have clarified; all(?) BC Machines need a huge amount of MJ for a project, but it often takes a handful of Combustion Engines running to keep one at full-ish speed. Quarries maybe not, and pumps not really, but BC Pumps are nice and cheap, yet are pretty useful.
Remember that the intended "normal" speed of a quarry is about 10% of its maximum speed.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
On the upside, they did seem to figure that out, and now we have Kinesis Pipes which are nothing like IC2 cables what so ever, and we still have massive MJ requirements for BC machines that BC can't make nor send to them without energy storage and/or better engines and pipes, unless you're okay with running combustion engines for any task, and aside from the Quarry, why do people still care about BC? Builders, Fillers, Blueprints, etc etc, but who even uses those?
Me. Love all of them. Don't use quarrys anymore.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
aside from the Quarry, why do people still care about BC? Builders, Fillers, Blueprints, etc etc, but who even uses those?
I do, and everyone who still plays BC does. There are people in the community that only play with a couple mods per world.
EDIT:
And when MJ tried to reclaim its "vision" (aka the one that almost no one liked), it got beat on because 90% of people using it either hated or didn't care about said vision.
Judging by the 1044 pages on the Minecraft forum thread, some people do like it. The FTB Forums is not the entire Minecraft modding community.

Last edited:

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I like the devices of BC though I haven't used them in a while. I was a huge user of he filler for building and clearing. Now I tend to build with the terrain and I use more curves. The filler isn't useful for that.

The direction the mod has taken lately is pretty cool. It's more focused on things that do stuff as opposed to focusing on how the power works. I think that's a good thing. Who cares about power when there's not much to do with it?

I do plan to test out the new builder system. I hope that it works with Carpenter's Blocks. If not, it's still useful. IIRC there's a method of saving builder's plans and transferring between worlds. That solves a huge problem for me since I grow attached to my buildings. I'd be less likely to stay attached to a specific world if I knew that I could take the plans for my stuff with me. Plus if it's easy to take plans with you to a server then it's doubly powerful. I need to research this.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC there's a method of saving builder's plans and transferring between worlds. That solves a huge problem for me since I grow attached to my buildings. I'd be less likely to stay attached to a specific world if I knew that I could take the plans for my stuff with me. Plus if it's easy to take plans with you to a server then it's doubly powerful. I need to research this.
:eek: that's damn awesome.