Mod Pros-Cons Debate Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Great, just don't use it then. Don't ruin it for the other people on the server, just don't use it and let others play how they want to.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
There is another type of pack: The all the things pack. Ex. Direderp20, Ultimate, and Monster. These have many solutions to the same problem, and the beauty in these is the sheer creativity that comes as a result.
Ultimate had a tech progression set via GregTech

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
It's not technically themed, it's still a "ALL THE MODS" pack, just tech mods only and with a progression.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Great, just don't use it then. Don't ruin it for the other people on the server, just don't use it and let others play how they want to.

Dude WTF?! How am I ruining anything for anyone. topic is called pros and CONS you cannot answer cons with "don't like it don't use it".

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Dude WTF?! How am I ruining anything for anyone. topic is called pros and CONS you cannot answer cons with "don't like it don't use it".
a) Well, the way you were talking it sounded like you had a server and were going to disable the mod.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
and what would be bad about running my server with the mods I want on it? I don't but hypotheticaly speaking don't you think that someone who pays for server can choose whatmods are on it?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
and what would be bad about running my server with the mods I want on it? I don't but hypotheticaly speaking don't you think that someone who pays for server can choose whatmods are on it?
Well, if you're running an official pack, for all you know the player chose that pack because of the mod you are removing.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Topics on mods are not in short supply- "realistic" versus "fun", blocks versus models, tech style versus magic style, power versus utility, building and developing versus exploring, powering blocks versus powering the player...

Here's a good one: Could you consider thaumcraft to be the most technological mod, as you have to actually research the stuff you make and you mainly gain power by making better tools and machines. (In contrast, you can build a nuclear reactor in as much time as it takes to gather the materials, and most magic mods have you gaining more spells and magic levels).

Is it a con that thaumcraft doesn't let you unlock the ultimate magic power in yourself or otherwise?

personally i am more of a tech person, so i think it's great, and dislikes TT kami for doing exactly that

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Topics on mods are not in short supply- "realistic" versus "fun", blocks versus models, tech style versus magic style, power versus utility, building and developing versus exploring, powering blocks versus powering the player...

Here's a good one: Could you consider thaumcraft to be the most technological mod, as you have to actually research the stuff you make and you mainly gain power by making better tools and machines. (In contrast, you can build a nuclear reactor in as much time as it takes to gather the materials, and most magic mods have you gaining more spells and magic levels).

Is it a con that thaumcraft doesn't let you unlock the ultimate magic power in yourself or otherwise?

personally i am more of a tech person, so i think it's great, and dislikes TT kami for doing exactly that
Do you understand the lengths to which you must go to gain KAMI research, let alone craft any of the stuff. I'd have a full quantum/gravsuit in less time than it takes just to gain access to KAMI research, let alone getting the stuff crafted

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I did not say quantum suit is a better option, nor did i say anything about gaining ultimate power easily, I said gaining ultimate power at all.

Not to mention, regular quantum suit is a lot less powerful than KAMI (i'm pretty sure some twilight forest enemies can punch right through it thank you very much), and KAMI also has it's equally insane tools. On power level, it's closer to EE than any tech mod ever get.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I did not say quantum suit is a better option, nor did i say anything about gaining ultimate power easily, I said gaining ultimate power at all.

Not to mention, regular quantum suit is a lot less powerful than KAMI (i'm pretty sure some twilight forest enemies can punch right through it thank you very much), and KAMI also has it's equally insane tools. On power level, it's closer to EE than any tech mod ever get.

It also takes a stupid amount of effort to get to that point. I've never even come close to having something from KAMI, and I blast through magic mods.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

Powerful? Sure you have unbreaking tools and armor that lets you fly, but actual quality is meh. A decent TiCo pick or bedrock pick blows it out of the water. And the armor, Bedrock Armor/Power Armor/Tartarite armor is so much better.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I find TE feels lacking due to 2 reasons:

1. A lack of tiered progression. This is something IC2 does very well, and it is due to how it does not simply add better replacements to old machines, but instead adds new niche machines for finer use.

2. A lack of complex mechanics. Look at HydraulicCraft: first you supply water to a system and then you generate pressure. It may be simple, but it's a seamless integration of the balancing of two power sources, and while the only 'tier' is an upgrade for endless water, this type of mechanic makes up for that. PnuematicCraft has the balancing of air pressure networks, IC2 has Nuclear Generators and Rotary Craft has... everything!

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I find TE feels lacking due to 2 reasons:

1. A lack of tiered progression. This is something IC2 does very well, and it is due to how it does not simply add better replacements to old machines, but instead adds new niche machines for finer use.

2. A lack of complex mechanics. Look at HydraulicCraft: first you supply water to a system and then you generate pressure. It may be simple, but it's a seamless integration of the balancing of two power sources, and while the only 'tier' is an upgrade for endless water, this type of mechanic makes up for that. PnuematicCraft has the balancing of air pressure networks, IC2 has Nuclear Generators and Rotary Craft has... everything!
1000% hit the nail on the head with that post. Been trying to think of a way to say it since TE was brought up :p

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

I don't think this is true. TE doesn't have much tiered progression, but it does have some. The importance of electrum and invar mean it's key to set up a pulveriser as soon as possible. You can't advance down the tech tree without making a pulveriser and you can't make end game materials without an induction smelter.

I realise this is borderline trivial, but it is something.