Mod Pros-Cons Debate Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I personally wouldn't mind it if TE was earlier-game. It doesn't do things all that well, I'd use it as my early game doubling system then move on to advanced stuff like Rotarycraft and Mek.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I personally wouldn't mind it if TE was earlier-game. It doesn't do things all that well, I'd use it as my early game doubling system then move on to advanced stuff like Rotarycraft and Mek.

Even end-game some of the stuff in TE remains useful. Like the devices to make ender and redstone fluids and you still need a furnace to actually melt the flakes you get from RotaryCraft. Although there are better furnaces out there of course.

Reactions: RedBoss

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Even end-game some of the stuff in TE remains useful. Like the devices to make ender and redstone fluids and you still need a furnace to actually melt the flakes you get from RotaryCraft. Although there are better furnaces out there of course.
There's a RoC furnace. And I don't find myself using Destabilized Redstone. I should need tesseracts more often now that I'm using a pack with no enderstorage.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
As for animations, in previous packs I made extensive use of BC pipes so I could watch my things whizzing back and forth and get a sense of activity. But in the 1.6.4 packs, rendering items in the pipes is just an extra load on my already struggling computer.

So I use opaque itemducts, enderIO conduits and AE just to keep the game playable. Conveniently enough the throughput of such things happen to be better than BC's cutesy oldschool pipes anyway.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's basically the magic blocks that bore. Place block -> does a bunch of crap automagically

It's funny; tech mods are more magical than magic mods, in the use of the blocks.
The Auto Activator and Block Breaker blocks are the main ones that don't sit comfortably with me within TE3, purely because they don't have any power requirements. Place them, configure, and they work. I've yet to use them though :p

Auto-Eject is also something that is good and bad. I personally loved my 1.2.5 days when using IC2 and BC. In my ignorance I thought the pipes belonged to the IC2 mod, trying to plan a pipe system for inputs/outputs to specific sides and engines to pull out items added to the design challenge. You loose that with Auto-Eject, making a smaller compact build, that is visually less interesting and less taxing on the brains, but much healthier for a server.

If the upgrade system gets introduced to TE, I'd love to see that Auto-Eject and Configurable Sides become a upgrade option, so the basic machine is as automatable by itself as a furnace (not at all).

The other area that I'd like to see changed is the servos on the ducts. Up to 6 configurable sides with one duct. Quite powerful for next to no cost, and no visual difference. I'd prefer the RP2 filter method by having it as a dedicated block, that you have to somehow fit into your builds.

Topic is mod discussion, started with IC2, now TE3, next page it'll be smurfs or some random stuff that usually happens.... :p

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
OP updated. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1401717805][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Auto Activator and Block Breaker blocks are the main ones that don't sit comfortably with me within TE3, purely because they don't have any power requirements. Place them, configure, and they work. I've yet to use them though :p

Auto-Eject is also something that is good and bad. I personally loved my 1.2.5 days when using IC2 and BC. In my ignorance I thought the pipes belonged to the IC2 mod, trying to plan a pipe system for inputs/outputs to specific sides and engines to pull out items added to the design challenge. You loose that with Auto-Eject, making a smaller compact build, that is visually less interesting and less taxing on the brains, but much healthier for a server.

If the upgrade system gets introduced to TE, I'd love to see that Auto-Eject and Configurable Sides become a upgrade option, so the basic machine is as automatable by itself as a furnace (not at all).

The other area that I'd like to see changed is the servos on the ducts. Up to 6 configurable sides with one duct. Quite powerful for next to no cost, and no visual difference. I'd prefer the RP2 filter method by having it as a dedicated block, that you have to somehow fit into your builds.

Topic is mod discussion, started with IC2, now TE3, next page it'll be smurfs or some random stuff that usually happens.... :p
Furnaces are automatable. Sides-Fuel Top-to be smelted bottom for extracting.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I agree. Auto-Eject is one of the main things that pushes me away from TE and towards other mods, like Railcraft, for my processing. If a server can't handle some pipes and such, it has no business running a modpack.
I definitely agree.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Not on TE but I dislike morph becuase it takes a way from other mods for free and is very easy to get it's abilities. Infinitive super fast water swimming and breathing of squid and infinitive fly are bad but also infinitive fire resistant of blazes. I am practical person and it takes away my motivation to achive other forms of fly/restance/swim etc. Concept of the mod is nice but it's implementation makes it destry balance in the game play. I personally disable it on sigle play and just don't use it on server play.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Not on TE but I dislike morph becuase it takes a way from other mods for free and is very easy to get it's abilities. Infinitive super fast water swimming and breathing of squid and infinitive fly are bad but also infinitive fire resistant of blazes. I am practical person and it takes away my motivation to achive other forms of fly/restance/swim etc. Concept of the mod is nice but it's implementation makes it destry balance in the game play. I personally disable it on sigle play and just don't use it on server play.
You can disable the abilities in the config.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

I only use morph for the ability to morph into a bat to reach hard to reach parts of my conduits :)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I think that Morph should never be included in a modpack that also includes Witchery. It takes away from the use of the Infernal Infusion, which does the exact same thing as Morph— it's just balanced very well.

Reactions: Padfoote

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Personally I think that Morph should never be included in a modpack that also includes Witchery. It takes away from the use of the Infernal Infusion, which does the exact same thing as Morph— it's just balanced very well.

Also the Twilight Forest becomes a lot easier if you can fly. But then flying can also be achieved with other ways like Power Armor and other jetpacks.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Also the Twilight Forest becomes a lot easier if you can fly. But then flying can also be achieved with other ways like Power Armor and other jetpacks.
Those, like the Infernal Infusion powers, require a bunch of power. They also require a bunch of setup before you can have them, thus making it balanced.

Reactions: Padfoote

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Those, like the Infernal Infusion powers, require a bunch of power. They also require a bunch of setup before you can have them, thus making it balanced.

True that. But still flying in the Twilight Forest lets someone avoid a lot of the fun traps and puzzles which takes away a bit of the point of many of these boss monsters.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I agree. Auto-Eject is one of the main things that pushes me away from TE and towards other mods, like Railcraft, for my processing. If a server can't handle some pipes and such, it has no business running a modpack.

I definitely agree.
I suppose part of the issue could be the crafting recipes too. 8 planks in a box shape makes a chest, makes some sort of Minecraft sense, and various ingots/components make a machine, but if that recipe doesn't include some sort of motor (or even a piston...), or some sort of circuit/control board (comparator?), how does it do the "magical" stuff like auto-eject? Other mods are worse for this, as mentioned by someone else earlier.
Sure the 3x3 grid is restrictive when trying to make recipes, it's difficult to get a good middle ground, with either insanely cheap like CC, or insanely involved like GregTech. Both extremes of the scale appeal to players.[DOUBLEPOST=1401719104][/DOUBLEPOST]
True that. But still flying in the Twilight Forest lets someone avoid a lot of the fun traps and puzzles which takes away a bit of the point of many of these boss monsters.
A cobble nerdpole will also help avoid many of the traps...