MFFS Classic vs MFFS V.3

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which MFFS do you think is better?

• Total voters

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Hello humans. I haven't seen this topic brought up yet, and I want to know which version the community think is better.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME/TROLL THREAD!!!!!!!!!
I say this because flaming would lead to more flaming from people that likes the other. Then people starts cursing.
EDIT: No arguing back at people. By that I mean, no insulting, and cursing at people. Like "Why the hell do you think that" or "WTF"

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I really cant find much info on what changed in version 3. But MFFS classic was pretty good

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
I did a lil digging. It looks like the new MFFS has gotten a complete rewrite from the ground up as well as reimagining. As such it looks very cool.

http://universalelectricity.com/mffs/downloads (This has a short and....incomplete list of the changes...)

I think I want to test it out a bit. But I think I'd prefer it over classic.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
what are the differences?

and do they keep monazit ore? I don't use MFFS (although I have some ideas), but the monazit ore is a great source for thorium

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
I believe Calclavia's version is a complete redesign. Over on the IC2 forums Thunderdark said he wanted to hand over to someone else, Calclavia took it up.
From what I've seen it retains IC2 and UE compatibility but naturally Calclavia favours his pet UE system, a number of interfaces have been changed and Monazit ore and Forcicum aren't there any more.
Which is why personally I'm glad someone's made MFFS Classic; I couldn't seem to get the same kind of system I wanted out of Immibis' Repulsion Systems.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I was aware of all three versions of MFFS, but Bigglesworth, your post seemed to suggest that there were three different version 3s of MFFS.
Anyway, I agree, MFFS Classic will probably be the one included in FTB packs.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
My limited understanding (quite possibly misunderstanding) of the drama is:

Thunderdark wanted to give up the mod and passed it to Calclavia, who then went and made the code private (possibly what caused the most contention) and started making considerable changes to the mod. Thunderdark passed the original mod across to Searge and someone else (whose name I have forgotten, begins with M).

So we end up with 2 very different mods using the same name.

If only 1 is included I'll use whichever one is chosen, if both are included I'll use the one most like the one I already know.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I assume, that the UE pack will use the one from Calclavia, while the rest of the packs will use the one from Searge.

MadDogTen

Jul 29, 2019
calclavia's isnt the official continuation either.
From what I'v read his is the "Official" version as Thunderdark passed it on to him, and the other 2 are just derivatives from it.

Though, Calclava's will be quite different from Thunderdark's last release while Searge's will be piratically the same. I think Searge's will be used since it doesn't screw with the world gen (or in this case, remove whats already generated), and is the same as what they already have so nothing should break.

I personally will probably use calcavia's as I like whats being done with it. But even they both say use whichever version you like better, and its simple as that.

thestarlion

Jul 29, 2019
At the risk of going against the request not to flame, I don't think I like what Calclavia is doing with it, and I don't think it's in the best spirits of the mod. I've only seen development screens and only tried a few of the earlier test builds, but from what I've seen there's just too many changes. The whole way of setting up a projector is different, I couldn't see any Monazit Ore or any non-power related way to make the force energy - he may as well be starting from scratch and doing it his own way from the start for all the differences.
Immibis' one is simpler, granted, but that simplicity also makes it very limited in what it can do. The MFFS Classic remains, as far as I'm concerned at least, the best of the three and I personally think it ought to be the one used in most FTB packs. It's what people are familiar with, it's being updated and maintained - unless Calclavia's one offers any significant benefit to make up for the massive changes, I see no reason to adopt it.
Granted, as it will (understandably) favour UE over IC2 now I can understand it's use in the UE pack. But for the others, I'm inclined to say leave it as is.

That being said... it's not hard for anyone to just get whichever one they want, disable whichever is included and replace it, so I guess in many ways the entire discussion is a bit of a moot point.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
I personally hope that we take a hard look at MFFS as it is. The current system is a bit stale. Forcicium is practically worthless in Ultimate because of Compact cells. You just need the initial batch of the stuff and then you can use EU to generate as much as you want.

I haven't been able to actually try this new version of MFFS. But I am all for innovation in design. Even if it is largely different.

That being said... it's not hard for anyone to just get whichever one they want, disable whichever is included and replace it, so I guess in many ways the entire discussion is a bit of a moot point.

This is not as easy as you think. Swapping out mods willy-nilly is never as easy as it sounds. All sorts of issues could arise. Also if you do it on the server level, then you have to have every single one of the people on your server do it as well. And I can tell you, a lot of people on my server like the ease of install and accessibility that the launcher provides.

I wonder though, what would be stopping the team from using both versions concurrently?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'll stick to mffs classic.
(Out of curiosity: There is no mffs 3 for 1.4.7, or am I just blind?