Manufactio - Minecraft/Factorio hybrid

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: In the quest that explains how to set up a miner, make sure to mention it needs to be sitting on stone, andesite, diorite, granite, etc in order to mine.

Thoughts so far (0.71):
  • Change the description in the science pack 1 quest to say you need a lab.
  • Once again, have the science packs and science be separate items instead of retexturing Thermal coins.
  • Redstone is really, really rare. I've found pretty much every other common ore except redstone.
  • A guide to generating power would be really nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golrith
A

Anakardian

Not sure if the update went haywire on me but I am not able to proceed at all.
The machine controller requires a thing unlocked by "XXAdvR". I can't see that anywhere and the research script does not contain this either.

I tried making a new test world and unlocked everything not requiring red research. Still not able to make the machine controller as "XXAdvr" is not unlocked yet.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Suggestion: In the quest that explains how to set up a miner, make sure to mention it needs to be sitting on stone, andesite, diorite, granite, etc in order to mine.

Thoughts so far (0.71):
  • Change the description in the science pack 1 quest to say you need a lab.
  • Once again, have the science packs and science be separate items instead of retexturing Thermal coins.
  • Redstone is really, really rare. I've found pretty much every other common ore except redstone.
  • A guide to generating power would be really nice.
Hmm, that should be disabled in the config, the miners don't need to be on stone (but the Fluid Pump from Factory0 does), but let me double check in case something has gone weird.

• Is that not clear? I did add a following quest to guide the player on building a lab, but I'll check out the wording.
  • Absolutely no need to make new items when there are existing non-functional items that can be re-purposed, plus at this point in time, changing core items used in every quest and a number of recipes would be a nightmare.
  • I'll look at the redstone config
  • First step to generating power is the boiler and diesel generator. I must admit writing is not my strong point, so if there's anything unclear on the text explaining the process, let me know. I could always split it into guide quests like I'm doing on the Space and Beyond, where there are a couple of quests asking you to build the relevant components.

Not sure if the update went haywire on me but I am not able to proceed at all.
The machine controller requires a thing unlocked by "XXAdvR". I can't see that anywhere and the research script does not contain this either.

I tried making a new test world and unlocked everything not requiring red research. Still not able to make the machine controller as "XXAdvr" is not unlocked yet.
Hmm, are you looking at the correct machine controller? XXAdvR is only applied to Advanced Rocketry items that I've not yet implemented. I'll double check. Getting the Modular Machinery in place was a big update, a copy/paste of text could have gone wonky.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've increased the chance of redstone ore generating, and also added smaller clumps, so it's still rare, but not a hurdle.

The Machine Controller does not have any stage assigned to it, I think you are looking at the wrong controller.

The science stage still references the Efab, so I'll get that adjusted.

Edit: Had one of those Ah Ha moments. There is actually a console command that can generate ores, so once I've done some research, I can get the quest book intro pages to generate a clump of each critical ore near to spawn guaranteed, then RNG takes over.

Last edited:

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering what you're going do involving trains. I'd immediately say Railcraft, but that's not for 1.12 yet.

Project: Gear is currently using a mix of Signals, Better Railroads, Immersive Railroading, and Charset Transport to move items en masse from your quarries to your main base, but I haven't gotten far enough in the pack to personally play with those mods.

Since Manufactio is going to have you going far from spawn to find ores, I'd imagine that the mods above would help with that. And also Railcraft when it eventually gets ported.

A

Anakardian

I am pretty sure i am looking at the right controller.

Pictures of it here : https://imgur.com/a/eEi4uqV

Not sure why the pictures failed below and can not be removed

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I was wondering what you're going do involving trains. I'd immediately say Railcraft, but that's not for 1.12 yet.

Project: Gear is currently using a mix of Signals, Better Railroads, Immersive Railroading, and Charset Transport to move items en masse from your quarries to your main base, but I haven't gotten far enough in the pack to personally play with those mods.

Since Manufactio is going to have you going far from spawn to find ores, I'd imagine that the mods above would help with that. And also Railcraft when it eventually gets ported.
There are two mods currently in the pack, Better Railroads and Transport. Both are providing functionality to get Diamond Chests (Steel Chests in the pack) from A to B with auto loading/unloading extremely fast. Signals has been mentioned to me, but I've not had opportunity to look into that.

The drills do work on grass, but I've added Grass as a whitelist to the config in case something wonky is going on.
I've restructured the boiler quest, there are now 2 quests, which tell you the blocks required.
The intro quests will in the background generate a small amount of resources in the chunk you are in, so even with bad RNG, there will be enough resources to get started.
For worldgen I'm adding ProjectRed volcanoes and Quark (heavily configured), so if you go exploring, there's more to encounter.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Version 0.72 has been released.

Key fixes are the Machine Controller, and questbook will ensure your starting chunk has some resources in it (not major, but enough to get started).

C

Chezziks

Version 0.72 has been released.

This looks really great! I'm going to have to try it out tonight!

Since your signature has a link to this thread, it seems like it would be useful to have a link from your first post in the thread to the download page on Curse.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
This looks really great! I'm going to have to try it out tonight!

Since your signature has a link to this thread, it seems like it would be useful to have a link from your first post in the thread to the download page on Curse.
Done :D

Reactions: Chezziks

DaMetaEX

Jul 29, 2019
I am intrestedin this pack. i was wondering if you had a server setup for it? i have played factorio on Steam. Very fun game. (except when the bitters swarm you so hard that not only your base come crashing down around but you get so messed up on resorces that you cant recover in time) Best first time playing XP

DaMetaEX

Jul 29, 2019
played a little bit and the early game needs work. one glairing issue is litteraly "what do i need to craft. how can i craft it!"

anothing issue. for some reason NEI is in permacheat mode. i click an item to get recipe i keep summoning an item

ALSO if you end up wanting a challange use this seed -2993761548316248800

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
anothing issue. for some reason NEI is in permacheat mode. i click an item to get recipe i keep summoning an item

You need to change the option in NEI. When in an inventory, click on the wrench, and turn off Cheat Mode.

Though, I also agree the quest book needs a little more guidance on some recipes, and also some blocks (such as the Magneticraft inserters).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
played a little bit and the early game needs work. one glairing issue is litteraly "what do i need to craft. how can i craft it!"

ALSO if you end up wanting a challange use this seed -2993761548316248800
You need to change the option in NEI. When in an inventory, click on the wrench, and turn off Cheat Mode.

Though, I also agree the quest book needs a little more guidance on some recipes, and also some blocks (such as the Magneticraft inserters).
Can you give me some examples? Converting Minecraft to a Factorio style of progression is a challenge due to the differences in the environment (2D vs 3D) and crafting systems. Getting the right balance will take a while.

You start with very limited options on what to build, and research will tell you what you can build as a result of that research.

Edit: That's a really nice seed. It's got enough there to get started (combined with what the quest book gives you). I've seen worse, in a test world, had an island like that, but right next to it was a TechGuns Aircraft Carrier "dungeon". With what that spawns, totally unplayable.

Last edited:

bigyihsuan

Jul 29, 2019
I was meaning that the quest book should explain a little how the blocks work, such as the Magneticraft inserter.

The book should also mention that you need to make iridium coils drill structure blocks to make more miners.

Suggestion: Some recipes, such as the science packs, should be shapeless.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I was meaning that the quest book should explain a little how the blocks work, such as the Magneticraft inserter.

The book should also mention that you need to make iridium coils drill structure blocks to make more miners.

Okay, adjusted some of the blurb a little. The inserters only recently gained a GUI. I'm not quite sure what some of it means myself, but most is fairly obvious from using other mods that use a whitelist/blacklist system.

DaMetaEX

Jul 29, 2019

I have done that. in both world and global. it still does it. not sure what the problem is. but its permalocked in cheat mode even when its disabled.

Can you give me some examples? Converting Minecraft to a Factorio style of progression is a challenge due to the differences in the environment (2D vs 3D) and crafting systems. Getting the right balance will take a while.

You start with very limited options on what to build, and research will tell you what you can build as a result of that research.

Edit: That's a really nice seed. It's got enough there to get started (combined with what the quest book gives you). I've seen worse, in a test world, had an island like that, but right next to it was a TechGuns Aircraft Carrier "dungeon". With what that spawns, totally unplayable.

well right now most of the discriptions say "BLA BLA BLA XXX000222" if you had the discription also say "Completeing this unlocks." Then show an image with what blocks get unlocked by completeing that tier. it would help progression.

DaMetaEX

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with this. since science packs are bare minimum to get the parts shapeless will be useful. and...why do you have a recipe that is something else untill you break that item apart?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I have done that. in both world and global. it still does it. not sure what the problem is. but its permalocked in cheat mode even when its disabled.

well right now most of the discriptions say "BLA BLA BLA XXX000222" if you had the discription also say "Completeing this unlocks." Then show an image with what blocks get unlocked by completeing that tier. it would help progression.
Each quest stage has an icon representing what is unlocked and as far as I recall, the research stages that actually unlock items do tell you what is unlocked. You can't actually show images within individual quests.

I agree with this. since science packs are bare minimum to get the parts shapeless will be useful. and...why do you have a recipe that is something else untill you break that item apart?
I assume you are referring to the Drill, one of the later science packs requires the drill as a recipe component, so it helps the logistics of autocrafting by providing it as a single block form.