Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Just occurred to me that if there was a different way to set your spawn then people would be more inclined to suicide abuse Blood Magic (not that it isn't rampant enough already) as they could set the spawn on top of the altar.

Xombie11

Jul 29, 2019
I added enviromine and glenn's gases day one: went exploring and found a ravine part way down was a chest I looted the chest and then lost most of my health to the tnt it turns out that there was a pocket of explosive gas behind the wall the chest was next to which was ignited by the tnt and then killed me.
Day two: after finding a place for my base I set a crafting table down and then the floor beneath me collapsed and I discovered a large cave under my base then I died due to fall damage
Day 3: I'm hungry and thirsty and surrounded by silverfish with only a flint dagger to defend my self with

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Hardcore mode with HarderMF. Day2: I am inexplicably hit by lighting. See zombies on the horizon. They are getting closer. I am hit by lightning again. WTF? Zombie gets closer. Found out posthumously it was a rare zombie with regeneration, thorns and storms. My diamond armor and sword looted from the village graveyard did not help.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
I could turn off the beds for the harder configs, people could still use the sleeping bag to skip night. It just wouldn't reset their spawns. Does tat seem reasonable for the hard configs? Not the normal ones... thats way too much for those.

One easy solution would be to include IguanaMan's vanilla Tweaks and only turn on disable sleeping. That way, beds can still be used to set spawnpoints, but not to skip the night. I have set it that way because I have never liked the "skip nights" mechanic. Night is what makes survival mode survival in the first place.

DrowElf said:
Game masochism is a subculture of its own. The original point of many games is to challenge players to improve themselves until they could beat it. That was how many NES games were designed. Today, there are significantly less of these games, so when people who enjoy that level of difficulty find good challenging games they latch on to them and put them on a pedastal. A great modern example would be Super Meat Boy. (</GameHistoryRant>)

I don't think it's only that. Me personally, I dislike that type of game, but I still like a "harder" survival mode in Minecraft. I think Magic Farm is popular for the same reason Minecraft was so successful and there is suddenly such a big market for sandbox survival games. I think that most people need some kind of challenge, a limit to overcome, to channel their creativity. Only few people channel their self-expression in a, for lack of a better word, "pure" form of art. For many people, being creative means creatively solving problems. It's a mix of self-expression and achievement. In a way, all games offer ways of self-expression (otherwise, they wouldn't exactly be games anymore), but there are a lot more different approaches in Minecraft than there are in Half Life. I think many people who have played Minecraft for a long time are now looking for new limits and new challenges to tap their creativity.

Reactions: John.E

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the gravestones I have encountered have been in the catacombs which are plenty difficult to explore, and the loot is fairly balanced. I ended up with a TON of bones (something like 20 stacks), and a bit of other random things (leather armor stone swords, clay, redstone, occasionally gold) from the entire catacombs worth of gravestones, so specifically what are you talking about?

I haven't encountered a catacomb in magic farm yet, but I did encounter one in my personal modlist, which generated alot of graves at the surface of the catacomb which you could all loot.
those had quite alot of iron/gold/diamond loot in them.

but an item to set your spawn does seem more fitted for MagicFarm, as it forces you to make this item first before you can really move away from your spawn, unless you're willing to spend alot of saturation travelling back and forth. perhaps this item could have a durability to it, so it'll break if you use it too often

and having certain effects when sleeping would also be nice. for example if you sleep too early, you'll wake up being very lazy, giving you a minute or 2 slowness effect when waking up and using up alot of saturation. you could drink a cup of coffee or something similar to get rid of the slowness effect and refill your saturation. if you sleep too late you'll wake up with a headache, giving you an effect like poison and taking up more saturation. eating a good breakfast would also get rid of this effect. but if you sleep at exactly the right time at night, with a span of like 10-15 seconds, you'll wake up with no saturation loss, and you'll actually get a very short regeneration effect.

perhaps certain conditions could also effect your sleeping and effects. like if you try to sleep during rain, you'll sleep alot better and lose less saturation. but if you try to sleep during a storm, you'll lose more hunger. and if you try to sleep with too many mobs nearby, you'll lose alot of saturation and get a slowness effect when waking up because you were too scared to sleep...

Last edited:

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
Removing beds next.

I don't know if it is a bug or feature, but on my setup at least, sleeping indoors seems to reset the time of day to nightfall rather then morning, which if intentional might actually be more evil then simply removing beds.

I am also trying to figure out if I am crazy or really am seeing some instances where 'sunrise' is actually another night.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it is a bug or feature, but on my setup at least, sleeping indoors seems to reset the time of day to nightfall rather then morning, which if intentional might actually be more evil then simply removing beds.

I am also trying to figure out if I am crazy or really am seeing some instances where 'sunrise' is actually another night.

Not a feature... also very odd. Unless its a server and someone is playing with night stones <.<

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
Not a feature... also very odd. Unless its a server and someone is playing with night stones <.<

Well, it is one a server, but I am the only one using it. If I am indoors I get the 'darkness is coming' message as soon as I wake up.

Though now that I look up 'night stone', that might actually be what is doing it. My base is in a cleared out section of catacomb.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but Marty from the Martysgames Youtube Channel has created a little mod for his series. He is using iguana tweaks as well, but he also created a mod that causes all the vanilla tools to no longer function. They are still craftable, but don't actually work on anything. This lets them be available for recipes and such without needing to completely remove all the vanilla tools. His mod list along with download links for Broken Tools can be found here. Maybe he would be willing to lend and maintain this for FTB?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but Marty from the Martysgames Youtube Channel has created a little mod for his series. He is using iguana tweaks as well, but he also created a mod that causes all the vanilla tools to no longer function. They are still craftable, but don't actually work on anything. This lets them be available for recipes and such without needing to completely remove all the vanilla tools. His mod list along with download links for Broken Tools can be found here. Maybe he would be willing to lend and maintain this for FTB?

Not needed. That functionality is already in MF.

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to switch off whatever creates a grave when the player dies? I am finding it to be rather glitchy and I am getting tired of loosing my gear in situations where it would normally just fall on the ground.

For instance my most recient death was in a 1x2 mining shaft via silverfish. It created one of two gravestones, with no items in the one that was generated.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to switch off whatever creates a grave when the player dies? I am finding it to be rather glitchy and I am getting tired of loosing my gear in situations where it would normally just fall on the ground.

For instance my most recient death was in a 1x2 mining shaft via silverfish. It created one of two gravestones, with no items in the one that was generated.
Go into the GraveStone mod config and change the following to false: B:GeneratePlayerGraves=true

Reactions: neeneko

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
Go into the GraveStone mod config and change the following to false: B:GeneratePlayerGraves=true

Great! Thank you much.

I like the idea of the gravestone functionality, but for some reason seem to keep running into issues with it.