Mage Quest's Feedback and Discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
So, I know the mod list is final....Thought I might say Runic Dungeons is really really fun with this pack. That is all.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
So, I know the mod list is final....Thought I might say Runic Dungeons is really really fun with this pack. That is all.
inb4 drama

RAWR

... you can add whatever you want to your personal pack. However the Jaded Hatted One has indeed said that it is final.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
inb4 drama

RAWR

... you can add whatever you want to your personal pack. However the Jaded Hatted One has indeed said that it is final.
I know! I was just suggesting to people who like to tinker...I am really bad about it and always end up adding stuff to my worlds. And Runic Dungeons is a really great one with out really throwing off the packs balance.

Reactions: Eruantien

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
After playing all the way through one of the quest lines, my only criticism would be that the reward bags are sort of lackluster. I'd love to see some more exciting rewards pop up, maybe things that are difficult to get without the tech mods to help with stuff like mining in early/mid-game. (Diamonds come to mind, never has vanilla strip mining felt so grindy as when I need 14 diamonds to advance...) It could be more exciting just by limiting the bag type rewarded to the house you're questing for. Otherwise, the pack feels very balanced and I'm learning a ton of new stuff about the magic mods. I agree with some others about the spawn rates on the headcrumbs mod possibly interfering with other mobs spawning. Endermen especially seem rare.

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
Also, since I didn't see anyone else mention it, the quest line for Botania requires you to craft a Fallen Kanade flower, yet this flower does not have a recipe listed even in the upgraded lexicon or in NEI.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, since I didn't see anyone else mention it, the quest line for Botania requires you to craft a Fallen Kanade flower, yet this flower does not have a recipe listed even in the upgraded lexicon or in NEI.
We forgot that Jaded disabled it in the configs. Sorry about that.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot wait for an update. Really want to know what this secret/not-so secret house Azanorian is all about.

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
We forgot that Jaded disabled it in the configs. Sorry about that.

No apologies required :p just giving my feedback on a pack that I've been thoroughly enjoying so you guys have the info you need to make it even more awesome. I also can't wait for an update. I have a world for each quest line at this point, but sort of stalled on the Witchery since I'd like to wait for the new mechanics to be added to the quest line.

Reactions: tatsu011

siege

Jul 29, 2019
This mod pack has been quite enjoyable to play, and I'm really loving how it has made me finally delve into Thaumcraft like never before, however it is desperately missing two mods:

Bibliocraft: he various shelving, etc., from Bibliocraft adds a lot of useful architectural items, especially for the storage of individual tools, as well as books. It's been a while since I've played with it, but I can't recall there being anything in it that would adversely affect the nature and progression of the Mage Quest theme, such as overly-powerful items or mechanics. As I recall, this mod consists entirely of functional decorations, all of which, as I recall, would be entirely appropriate to the Mage Quest theme.

&

Gravestones: this just plain makes sense, particularly in the context of this mod-pack, if only as an option for the administrators/servers that want it. Our server, for example, is for a handful of adults playing for fun and relaxation. We don't use creative mode, and generally much prefer to work to acquire our mats and for exploration to contain some element of danger, but have had grant access to creative to all the players to enable them to recover from the most drastic and unexpected losses without a lot of grief and heartbreak that might otherwise result in reduced desire to play (please, no irrelevant opinions/comments on player psychology from the peanut gallery, that isn't the point here), particularly when it has been caused by something like lag. Gravestones give players a much better chance at recovering from their losses while not being entirely risk-free, and still wouldn't invalidate items like the various life-saving potions and items, particularly when a server like ours has players who - due to their schedules - are often playing alone the majority of the time, where they cannot call on others for help in salvage.

Just my $0.02: my server admin isn't keen on adding either of these himself because he doesn't want to have to deal with keeping them up-to-date, particularly every time the core mod-pack itself is updated. Apparently I see one of the mod-pack authors has decided that the mod list is now final, but I still feel the need to post this anyway, since frankly the lack of these two mods seems to be a glaring oversight with little to no impact on the actual quests or other mods.

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
I also deeply miss bibliocraft, but I'd probably only end up using bookshelves. There are an awful lot of books in these chests...

siege

Jul 29, 2019
Also, any chance of getting the updated version of Automagy any time soon? The Tome of Requisition added in 0.19 would be sincerely appreciated.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
Also, any chance of getting the updated version of Automagy any time soon? The Tome of Requisition added in 0.19 would be sincerely appreciated.
They are trying to finish more quests before an update. The last update kinda worked poorly because of a witchery mechanic change. So, they are being extra careful.

siege

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's understandable enough. As a game designer myself, I've definitely encountered that situation before.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
With the packs update to 1.1.1, is it still to be considered in alpha, or is the pack finished/with only bugfixing updates remaining? Just wondering if any future updates might require a restart for new features/etc.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
With the packs update to 1.1.1, is it still to be considered in alpha, or is the pack finished/with only bugfixing updates remaining? Just wondering if any future updates might require a restart for new features/etc.
It is indeed still in alpha, this was just an update to the mods, and the deletion of the Bagginses quests (Bagginses changed something internally that caused crashes due to the old version used when the quests were made in HQM, and the fastest fix was delete them). When the quests are more complete we will move to beta, but we are slow, so who knows when that will be.

It is in beta, but according to some staff it was never in (or shouldn't have been labelled) public alpha.

Last edited:
Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
It is indeed still in alpha, this was just an update to the mods, and the deletion of the Bagginses quests (Bagginses changed something internally that caused crashes due to the old version used when the quests were made in HQM, and the fastest fix was delete them). When the quests are more complete we will move to beta, but we are slow, so who knows when that will be.

Ok cool. Cheers man. :) Really intrigued by the pack, but I want to experience it at it's fullest, so I'll wait till the quests/features are complete.

CaspianSK

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's completely my fault. Not only am I in charge of bug fixing, but I wrote those quests! I used a previous version of Witchery, where crafting was the way to do it. It must have changed without me noticing. It's an easy fix- I'll do it for the next release.

As a workaround for now, use /hqm edit to cheat around the quest.
That doesn't work, as you need permission to use that. Any other way to get around it? or to back up and try a different path?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
It should be working in the most recent version (1.1.1)

The quest, that is. I believe the command needs cheats to be enabled to work.

Last edited: