Mage Quest's Feedback and Discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Not to continue badgering, but whats the eta for the server being made?

No eta's! However, I've just PM'd someone who was nice enough to ask me for instructions on how to create their own unofficial, unsupported server. And my instructions worked. I'm working on typing them up in a forum friendly format, and will edit this post with a link in a bit.

**Edit**
Done. Enjoy! Post any problems or questions with your server editions over on that thread. Please note- it's completely unofficial and unsupported. So no moaning to anyone other than me that your server doesn't work!

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/unofficial-how-to-set-up-a-mage-quest-1-0-4-server.59905/

Last edited:

Bill Kilmer

Jul 29, 2019
One other question (Hopefully not as silly as my last one). . . I hear of quest lines in this pack but how do you get the quests? Do I need to find someone to provide the beginning or is it a book I should have but don't?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
You need to type in /hqm quest into chat. If that doesn't work, be sure to re-read the starting post to make sure you're using the correct version!.The default, recommended version (1.0.3) doesn't have quests, and /hqm quest won't work but 1.0.4 does, and it will.

Mechalith

Jul 29, 2019
I know it isn't supported but is yanking out the Headcrumbs mod likely to break anything? (HQM dependencies, for instance.) I'm getting really tired of being up to my eyeballs in chopped off heads, esp given that they make up about half of chest loot ATM.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I know it isn't supported but is yanking out the Headcrumbs mod likely to break anything? (HQM dependencies, for instance.) I'm getting really tired of being up to my eyeballs in chopped off heads, esp given that they make up about half of chest loot ATM.

There's no HQM quests related to it, so removing it *probably* shouldn't cause any issues. There are options in the config file to reduce head loot rates, and also an option to disable or reduce mob spawn rates.

We reserve the right to add a Headcrumbs related quest in at a later date. I kinda like the idea of having to hunt down and slaughter certain Minecraft characters as a quest. Because evil.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
There's no HQM quests related to it, so removing it *probably* shouldn't cause any issues. There are options in the config file to reduce head loot rates, and also an option to disable or reduce mob spawn rates.

We reserve the right to add a Headcrumbs related quest in at a later date. I kinda like the idea of having to hunt down and slaughter certain Minecraft characters as a quest. Because evil.
I have already started making a monument and heads are one of the things on it. I will have to tweak the spawn rates though....The Headcrumbs mobs have taken over the Nether....I think they are eating up all the Ghast spawns.
Edit: The fire stuff from Adventurer Amulets calls for Demon Hearts and its never explained where they are acquired. Is this intentional?

Last edited:

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: The fire stuff from Adventurer Amulets calls for Demon Hearts and its never explained where they are acquired. Is this intentional?

I wasn't aware of that, so probably not intentional. Demon Hearts can be found as rare drops from Hell Cats. I'm not sure, but I think they're only found in the Nether. The cats are breed-able with Nether Wart.

I should probably work on adding all the info I've picked up about this mod to the Wiki at some point.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't aware of that, so probably not intentional. Demon Hearts can be found as rare drops from Hell Cats. I'm not sure, but I think they're only found in the Nether. The cats are breed-able with Nether Wart.

I should probably work on adding all the info I've picked up about this mod to the Wiki at some point.
I had to do some digging online to find the information. Adventurer Amulets is not a well documented mod. The fire hedge mage quests really do a good job of spelling out the stuff needed, they just did not mention the Demon hearts.

It looks like I am going to have to spend some time making a hell cat and eagle farm.

I am really looking forward to the next wave of quests I pushed my altar up a tier....really wanted those bound tools. And I really like how slow burn the Hedge Mage quests are setup.

Edit: The quests will get into spell creation? I have never used the mechanic and would really like to learn it.

Last edited:

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I really like how slow burn the Hedge Mage quests are setup.

Awesome :D That's what we were aiming at- for Adventurer's amulets to feel more like an Adventure. @Mount did an amazing job with them.
Edit: The quests will get into spell creation? I have never used the mechanic and would really like to learn it.

Want to know a secret? Neither have I. Hopefully, someone else on the team can give me some tips, or, even better, write the quests! *batters eyelashes*

But then again, I'd never touched the entire Witchery mod before writing those quests, and they turned out Ok. Yeah, they may be broken and impossible to do until the next update gets pushed, but only thanks to a mod mechanic changing last minute before release!

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome :D That's what we were aiming at- for Adventurer's amulets to feel more like an Adventure. @Mount did an amazing job with them.

Want to know a secret? Neither have I. Hopefully, someone else on the team can give me some tips, or, even better, write the quests! *batters eyelashes*

But then again, I'd never touched the entire Witchery mod before writing those quests, and they turned out Ok. Yeah, they may be broken and impossible to do until the next update gets pushed, but only thanks to a mod mechanic changing last minute before release!

Well, I caught up on Direwolfs server play and those spells can get crazy! I am just glad another mod has semi-custom spellls now that Mithion is retiring from modding.

Edit: Thought I would save everyone some trouble. I have started an eagle and hell cat farm. The Eagles are bred with fish not seeds like chickens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bashful Giant

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow have ghast spawns been tweaked? Or is it just all the other critters eating their spawn rate? If I am lucky I am finding like one in an hour of searching, and you really need a load of them for items.

Edit: After some experimentation, it seems that if you edit Headcrumbs down to 1 on their rarity, it will make Ghasts spawn like normal. The Headcrumbs even at setting 1 (which the config claims is rarer than witches) spawn very frequently. And has the added bonus of making the world much more dangerous by freeing up some spawn for other mods monsters! Energy ghosts are scary and seem unkillable!

Last edited:

Dajukester

Jul 29, 2019
The error about fatally missing blocks is appearing again. I've noticed that its from Botania and thaumic tinkerer and it says that im missing the blocks for it despite obviously having it in the FTB pack. Any help?

Actually i've found out that its the server. It seems that botania's blocks as well as thaumic tinkerer's blocks dont register and crash people joining. Im missing most of thaumic tinkerers items and missing a few botania blocks, 36 in total. This is happening on my already created world.

Last edited:

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
All has been quiet on the pack front, any news or teasers? And a very important question! Will we be getting the Witchery update? It has werewolves...that is kinda cool.

Edit: I feel its evident, but this is not an ETA. Just curiosity about the development of the pack.