Mage Quest's Feedback and Discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Scrap that- it seems the tweak to fix the quests fell through the cracks in between internal versions. Hopefully, this should be fixed by the next version, whatever it may be.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I've been enjoying this modpack for the last few days. I just have a few bits of feedback:

- I like the quest flavor text, it's entertaining and there is a bit of a story line. That's really cool.
- I intensely dislike the implementation of celebrity mobs in the headcrumbs mod. The spawn rate is way too high. It's set at 80, it should be closer to 5. There are more "celebrity mobs" than skeletons and zombies in my world. Please.
- Talismans and Archmagus are, quite frankly, bad mods. It seems like they were just thrown in to pad out the pack with more "magic" stuff. I like the fact that this pack has only 68 mods, it makes it run super smooth. Maybe you should ditch these two and replace them with better quality stuff, or just drop that number to 66.
- No Bibliocraft. Seriously, how can you expect to be a mage without potion shelves and places to put skulls and store your nodes in a jar in public view?
- Turn the Fallen Kanaede flower from Botania back on. If the concern is over Blood Magic and the regen/sacrifice, then it's misplaced. BM already nerfs this by applying a hunger II debuff to you if you even use a regen effect in the vicinity of an altar (which I find quite annoying in and of itself).
- Remove the right click tools mod. Botania's tools already have right click functions that are cool (You may have to upgrade Botania versions?? I haven't looked at the change log). Anyway, it's one of the reasons to make the Botania tools and upgrade them. It also works better than the right click tools mod.
- Speaking of versions - update Automagy. The main attempt at item management by players is likely to be a combination of JABBA and an Inventarium, so really it's required to go to at least 0.21
- Finally, I'd suggest adding Forbidden Magic to this pack. It has nice integration between Thaumcraft, Botania and Blood Magic.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add that I'm really enjoying this mod pack. I've made most of the above changes to my own installation and I really do think they play better. I'm looking forward to see how the quests in this pack develop, so far they've been entertaining. It's nice to see people push the HQM mod a little bit further than has previously been done...

EDIT: I should also add by way of "bug report" that occasionally right click to craft will occasionally crash the server. Looking at the crash report it looks like a race condition on the right click handler between NEI (recipe usage) and the crafting table. You right click, craft the item, NEI goes for some reason to try and look at the item to display information, but it doesn't exist any more because it's now on your mouse pointer and not in the crafting tables inventory slot.

Last edited:

2ToTheCubithPower

Jul 29, 2019
I just finished the House Elloria Initiate questline. Is there any way to continue the Elloria questline? or does it just end here... for now?

Last edited:

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly again... Bibliocraft should def be in this pack. I couldn't live without my tool racks, armor racks (shift click armor swap ftw) and cookie jars. Also that grandfather clock looks pimp...

7e3BKjG.png

Reactions: fimbrethil

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: I should also add by way of "bug report" that occasionally right click to craft will occasionally crash the server. Looking at the crash report it looks like a race condition on the right click handler between NEI (recipe usage) and the crafting table. You right click, craft the item, NEI goes for some reason to try and look at the item to display information, but it doesn't exist any more because it's now on your mouse pointer and not in the crafting tables inventory slot.
Could we get a crash log in a post in the Bug Report thread?

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I'd throw this out there - the Alchemical Construction quest doesn't really make a lot of sense. Most players will have built one long before they bother to do infusions, so having it gated that way is kinda silly. Also, 64 essentia tubes? o_O Really?

I think in general no one except the most newb players uses a crucible at all considering it's just a little bit more work to research and build the construct. People tend to build their furnace first, start distilling, then build their construct because it's easier/faster to mass produce stuff like nitor/alumentum/tallow wax, which you will use to make stabilizers for your infusion altar anyway.

I would suggest instead of having one quest chain here that there are two different branches, one that goes something like crucible -> furnace -> jars (void jar) -> alchemical construct and then one that goes -> runic matrix, magic mirrors/essentia mirrors, tools, wand upgrade to silverwood/thaumium.

Then I'd probably cap them both off at the end with the essentia locus from automagy.

Lagman

Jul 29, 2019
I want to ask you about 2 things:
1. I have initiated myself on botania, after that I "anvilled" my reputation for thaumcraft, but how can I start blood magic through the quest book? It doesn't show anything but the thaumcraft one and the reputations.
Playing on version 1.1.1

2. What are the options for more inventory space? Something like a bag would do, but the bagginses mod has disabled everything except the void bag.

That's everything, I really enjoy the challenge of not having the tech-y things and no pipes and nothing like that!

Reactions: tatsu011

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I want to ask you about 2 things:
1. I have initiated myself on botania, after that I "anvilled" my reputation for thaumcraft, but how can I start blood magic through the quest book? It doesn't show anything but the thaumcraft one and the reputations.
Playing on version 1.1.1

2. What are the options for more inventory space? Something like a bag would do, but the bagginses mod has disabled everything except the void bag.

That's everything, I really enjoy the challenge of not having the tech-y things and no pipes and nothing like that!

Bagginses is currently (mostly) disabled due to it causing a pretty nasty bug. We're working on an alternative, but it *may* be updated in the next patch.

As for the Blood Magic, in 1.1.1, you can only play through one house per play-through, unless you gain enough rep with a house to unlock a second house. You can't get more than two.

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Just some quick thoughts from Playing 1.1.1

- The initial quest to kill a cow, perhaps if there was a way to just make that Kill a "Non Hostile Mob" as if you currently spawn in a spot where there's not a lot of cows present it can hold up the earliest part of the game for a long whlie.
- I have to agree with other's that some decorative mods might be considered. I'd love to see Chisel two without any of it's own blocks added (To Preserve the feeling that the game is very much set in a magical time as well as removing the Gravel > Concrete recipe) , and Carpenters blocks just to give a bit more life and variety to building shapes and structures. Bibliocraft but only for it's bookshelves, I don't really like the textures that Bibliocraft introduces.
- I like the concept of the Necromancy mod, but it doesn't really seem to fit the modpack in terms of how things are preformed. It's more Frankenstein then Magic (And Frankenstein is an archetypal science bit).
- Not a huge fan of the mod that drops all the books, and I guess is trying to be like Terria's magic system. I imagine that Ars Magica hasn't been added as I have heard that it's buggy i guess?
- Structure generation seems a bit high in 1.1.1 which is fine and all, but with Witchery your likely to find a ton of villages with walls, which tend to be... well they can make the early game a lot easier. Not sure if this is intended, it just feels like those aren't so rare.

Also might be worth noting the .exe on the site (For the Feed the beast Launcher) flags as a the following Malware: http://www.microsoft.com/security/p...aspx?Name=BrowserModifier:Win32/KipodtoolsCby

Lagman

Jul 29, 2019
Just some quick thoughts from Playing 1.1.1

- The initial quest to kill a cow, perhaps if there was a way to just make that Kill a "Non Hostile Mob" as if you currently spawn in a spot where there's not a lot of cows present it can hold up the earliest part of the game for a long whlie.
- I have to agree with other's that some decorative mods might be considered. I'd love to see Chisel two without any of it's own blocks added (To Preserve the feeling that the game is very much set in a magical time as well as removing the Gravel > Concrete recipe) , and Carpenters blocks just to give a bit more life and variety to building shapes and structures. Bibliocraft but only for it's bookshelves, I don't really like the textures that Bibliocraft introduces.
- I like the concept of the Necromancy mod, but it doesn't really seem to fit the modpack in terms of how things are preformed. It's more Frankenstein then Magic (And Frankenstein is an archetypal science bit).
- Not a huge fan of the mod that drops all the books, and I guess is trying to be like Terria's magic system. I imagine that Ars Magica hasn't been added as I have heard that it's buggy i guess?
- Structure generation seems a bit high in 1.1.1 which is fine and all, but with Witchery your likely to find a ton of villages with walls, which tend to be... well they can make the early game a lot easier. Not sure if this is intended, it just feels like those aren't so rare.

Also might be worth noting the .exe on the site (For the Feed the beast Launcher) flags as a the following Malware: http://www.microsoft.com/security/p...aspx?Name=BrowserModifier:Win32/KipodtoolsCby

I agree with the cow thing, I personally spawned in a place where in 150x150 weren't any cows, so I had to gear myself up vanilla.
Chisel? Yeah that's a good idea! Bibliocraft? I really miss tool racks, potion shelfs, selfs and everything.

Yeah... Necromancy doesn't need to be there, it's not magic, it is science.
I have found tons of generated structures and 3 castles... aaand 1 pirate ship! (arrr... NOPE)

If you are using the microsoft antivirus, then delete it, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! It doesn't do anything at all, it is almost to the point where it just picks a random folder and tells you that something in there is a random virus.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Keep your eyes peeled for the next update. Many of the suggestions you improvements you guys have suggested have been included - or at least the suggestions that both fit with the pack, and that the Lit team agree with. Let's just say we're pretty excited about it, and hope you'll be too.

Reactions: Eruantien

Lagman

Jul 29, 2019
So, for now there isn't any way of extending the inventory space?
What about better storage backpacks(I hope it's that mod)? They have even thaumcraft integration!
I would love them to be there!

tatsu011

Jul 29, 2019
So, for now there isn't any way of extending the inventory space?
What about better storage backpacks(I hope it's that mod)? They have even thaumcraft integration!
I would love them to be there!
Keep an eye on the next update. There will be new mods included. One of them has bags.

Reactions: Lagman

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't looked at the recent 1.1.1 version, but when doing my own modpack and screwing around with Ruins myself I've noticed that the weighting attribute of the ruins doesn't appear to work all that well (You still generate tons of structures). What you really want to set is the attribute "uniqueMinDistance" in the template for each ruin, and for some of them you will want a very large (several thousand) block number (like for instance, I had the big castle spawning in my world, I set that number to 5000 so that there wouldn't be any spawning even remotely close to each other).

There is also a world option, "anyRuinsMinDistance" which does the same thing as a default for all ruins.

I looked at AtomicStryker's github and it seems like these are both implemented correctly in his ruins generator class and they do appear to work correctly on my test world, so you might want to consider using them to tone down some of the ruin generation. :D

EDIT: Also, I haven't looked at 1.1.1 yet - but please remove the floater if you haven't yet, it's completely OP to find one early in the game considering all the loot (plus an enchantment table!) you can find there.

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
So playing a little longer with a Server of about 10 People to Gather Feedback from:

- The Weeping Angles / Head Crumbs Mods were unanimously disliked. It's fun at first to find players you know to kill, but the fact that most loot chest are stuffed full of what for the most part are worthless heads instead of loot from the various mods is a bit off putting. Their ability to open doors does make them a bit more challenging, but ultimately the spawn rate is far to high to make them interesting or fun. The Mods from Menegerai are much more interesting and lore appropriate. At least they feel more like they belong. Weeping Angels are just miserable, they turn what should be fun (Exploring Caves / The Nether) into absolute misery with instant death and the possibility of being ported UNDER bed rock so that you lose all kinds of stuff. There is absolutely no reward from killing them. Definitely on the list of things that should be gotten rid of or made so that killing them has some kind of real reward. Their mechanic is cool exactly once or twice, until you find yourself in the middle of no where and just dead because of their delayed kill mechanic. Being instantly killed is not enjoyable.

- Botania feels a little easy compared to the other 3 in terms of "Getting Stuff" I feel like the biggest game breaker is the ManaSteel being able to mine Obsdian, as it stands there's really no need to search for anything else if you have what amounts to an infinite durability Diamond Pickaxe. Of the 4 Major Magic Mods, It definately feels like the one with perhaps... the most just "Here you have this" versus say Thaumcraft where a lot of the mod is building stuff so that eventually you can have X or Y.

- Archmagus stuff appears to flat crash server side. I haven't wanted to submit any bug reports because I figure as we're using it as a server and it's not approved for that kind of thing, it might be looked down upon, but yeah Archmagus is completley unusable server side. Anytime anyone tries to use a book it just crashes the server.

- Chickens hard to find in light of eagles. once one finds them it's not so bad, but it can prove difficult initially. May want to look at reducing Eagle Spawning

- Not sure if intended or bug, but Botania's horn for blowing off leaves appears to affect neither Greatwood nor Silverwood trees.

- Curious about the lack of Ars Magica? Seems like it's one of the big name magic mods. I'm guessing it's fairly unstable?

- Also Twighlight Forest / Aether, both seem like they would be /very/ thematically appropriate for this particular mod pack, Was curious on their lack of inclusion.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Let's address your feedback, and give you a bit more info about future updates in the progress :D

The Weeping Angles / Head Crumbs Mods were unanimously disliked. It's fun at first to find players you know to kill, but the fact that most loot chest are stuffed full of what for the most part are worthless heads instead of loot from the various mods is a bit off putting. Their ability to open doors does make them a bit more challenging, but ultimately the spawn rate is far to high to make them interesting or fun. The Mods from Menegerai are much more interesting and lore appropriate. At least they feel more like they belong. Weeping Angels are just miserable, they turn what should be fun (Exploring Caves / The Nether) into absolute misery with instant death and the possibility of being ported UNDER bed rock so that you lose all kinds of stuff. There is absolutely no reward from killing them. Definitely on the list of things that should be gotten rid of or made so that killing them has some kind of real reward. Their mechanic is cool exactly once or twice, until you find yourself in the middle of no where and just dead because of their delayed kill mechanic. Being instantly killed is not enjoyable.

Headcrumbs and Weeping Angels will be addressed in the next release. Especially Weeping Angels- that's actually been on our "To Be Removed" list for quite a while..The amount of times we've been TP'd to lethal, item loosing places turns... Yeah. Not great.

- Botania feels a little easy compared to the other 3 in terms of "Getting Stuff" I feel like the biggest game breaker is the ManaSteel being able to mine Obsdian, as it stands there's really no need to search for anything else if you have what amounts to an infinite durability Diamond Pickaxe. Of the 4 Major Magic Mods, It definately feels like the one with perhaps... the most just "Here you have this" versus say Thaumcraft where a lot of the mod is building stuff so that eventually you can have X or Y.

Unfortunately, this is something we can't do anything about, other than make our quests more progressive in feel. The vision for the pack is to leave the mods as "untouched" as possible- this means no MineTweaking recipies, to make mods more progressive or difficult. However, Botania has one of the most frequent update schedules around, so hopefully the new content in the mod will adress some of these issues.

- Archmagus stuff appears to flat crash server side. I haven't wanted to submit any bug reports because I figure as we're using it as a server and it's not approved for that kind of thing, it might be looked down upon, but yeah Archmagus is completley unusable server side. Anytime anyone tries to use a book it just crashes the server.

Will be addressed with the planned official server version release

- Chickens hard to find in light of eagles. once one finds them it's not so bad, but it can prove difficult initially. May want to look at reducing Eagle Spawning

This was a problem in 1.0.4, but with 1.1.1's update to Adventurers Amulets, is no longer a problem, due to Eagles actually looking like... Well, Eagles

- Not sure if intended or bug, but Botania's horn for blowing off leaves appears to affect neither Greatwood nor Silverwood trees.

That's a feature. The horn would make automation of the trees possible- and that's not really intended.

- Curious about the lack of Ars Magica? Seems like it's one of the big name magic mods. I'm guessing it's fairly unstable?

This has to be the most frequently asked question we get. Ars Magica is not in this pack due to a lack of updates, instability (at least when the pack was released) and the modder behind the mod promising to leave the modding scene (again, at the time of the packs release).

- Also Twighlight Forest / Aether, both seem like they would be /very/ thematically appropriate for this particular mod pack, Was curious on their lack of inclusion.

Now this one is tricky. Jadedcat originally put this pack together, so I can't talk for the lack of Twighlight Forest- my best guess would be that the pack is fairly resource light, and she was trying to keep that down. Again- just a guess. I'll look into it and get back to you- think she addressed this somewhere.

As for Aether II- that mod was released a good three months after this pack :D

Last edited: